Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

"I don't care if you landed a spacecraft on a comet, your shirt is sexist"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    Pray tell, how was Taylor a Edited by a Moderator?
    By wearing that shirt, of course. Is it really news to you that lots (and lots) of women find pictures of half (or fully) naked women in the workplace? Do you really not understand why?

Comment

Here's a thought: try asking some women scientists how they feel about the shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by sfs1 View Post
        Here's a thought: try asking some women scientists how they feel about the shirt.
        Phil Plait provides a helpful collection for this sort of inquiry:

Source: Shirtstorm. Phil Plait. Bad Astronomy. Slate. 2014.11.17

If you think this is just complaining from wannabes who can’t hold a candle to someone who just landed a probe on a comet, you’re wrong. Talk to my friend, the cosmologist Katie Mack. Or the planetary scientist Sarah Horst. Or geologist Mika McKinnon. Or planetary geologist Emily Lakdawalla. Or radio astronomer Nicole Gugliucci. Or professor and science communicator extraordinaire Pamela Gay. Or Carolyn Porco, who worked on the Voyager mission and is the leader of the Cassini imaging team, the space probe that’s been orbiting Saturn for over a decade now.

If you think this is just a bunch of prudes, you’re wrong. It’s not about the prurience. It’s about the atmosphere of denigration.

© Copyright Original Source

"I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Is it really news to you that lots (and lots) of women find pictures of half (or fully) naked women in the workplace?
          Sounds like it's great being a woman.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            A tempest in a C cup.
            Wicked!
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              Phil Plait provides a helpful collection for this sort of inquiry:

Source: Shirtstorm. Phil Plait. Bad Astronomy. Slate. 2014.11.17

If you think this is just complaining from wannabes who can’t hold a candle to someone who just landed a probe on a comet, you’re wrong. Talk to my friend, the cosmologist Katie Mack. Or the planetary scientist Sarah Horst. Or geologist Mika McKinnon. Or planetary geologist Emily Lakdawalla. Or radio astronomer Nicole Gugliucci. Or professor and science communicator extraordinaire Pamela Gay. Or Carolyn Porco, who worked on the Voyager mission and is the leader of the Cassini imaging team, the space probe that’s been orbiting Saturn for over a decade now.

If you think this is just a bunch of prudes, you’re wrong. It’s not about the prurience. It’s about the atmosphere of denigration.

© Copyright Original Source

"If space were not a vacuum we'd hear @Philae2014 going "WHEEEEE!""

"You can hate me for sticking up for feminism but you know what? I HAVE AN ADORABLE DOGGIE ASLEEP IN MY LAP I WIN. #HaterLogicBackAtYa"

"<3 Wish you'd come paint #Ferguson with truth RT "

"the shirt was a bad choice. It's an example of microaggression"

I'm sure they are all productive individuals and not braindead progressive parasites.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

What was the initial overreaction?
                The overwrought attacking him for wearing what amounts to a slightly tacky shirt -- which was made for him by a female friend -- and trying to turn it into an assault on all women. These folks seem like the sort who spend every waking moment looking for any and every excuse to be offended.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  The overwrought attacking him for wearing what amounts to a slightly tacky shirt -- which was made for him by a female friend -- and trying to turn it into an assault on all women. These folks seem like the sort who spend every waking moment looking for any and every excuse to be offended.

First of all, saying that people are considering it "an assault on all women" is way overstated. But merely saying that it's "slightly tacky" is significantly understated.

Second of all, please, for the love of God, kill that inane, stupid line of rhetoric. No one LOOKS for an EXCUSE to be offended. When you break out that line, what you're telling me is that you won't take the time to try to understand WHY people feel offended, and instead address this lack of understanding with some unbelievably cheap, nonsensical excuse that puts the burden of misunderstanding on them instead of yourself.
                  Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                    No one LOOKS for an EXCUSE to be offended.
                    Yeah, they really do.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, I finished reading the one actual article Sam posted earlier. Here's a gem I found:

Consider how people from different circumstances and cultures will view the key players. This doesn't mean catering to every cultural conception on how a scientist and a leader should look, but it does mean being aware of who will object to what and why. Schools get upset by unexpected vulgarity, sexuality, nudity, or violence in their educational programming. For Taylor, anything short sleeved to reveal his tattoos would allow him to tweak conservative stereotypes of what a scientist looks like without entering into the realm of inappropriate.
                      "It's OK to offend those evil conservatives as long as you don't offend me."

Looks like just one more of many instances where feminists demand others (mostly men) fight their battles for them. In exchange you get... nothing. At least Muhammad gives you a bunch of virgins for blowing yourself up in his name.

Comment

This really does look like it's becoming GamerGate in spaaaace!, where the legitimate issue of misogyny in a given sub-culture is somehow spun into a problem with feminist sensibilities or an over-reacting PC culture or whatever else works to move the victimization spotlight back to where it's comfortable. It's not OK to wear a shirt of women dressed in pin-up lingerie to your job most anywhere. This seems to be a truth responsible adults can all agree on. Calling someone out for doing so should neither be a Twitter-storm nor should elicit a counter-reaction that attempts to justify the behavior or includes telling someone to kill themselves. People should neither seek out reasons to be offended nor pretend that pointed episodes of discrimination or denigration should be ignored by those who face the background of that discrimination or denigration on a daily or routine basis.

The Internet is an outrage machine. You've got your outrages on the Left and Right, from misandrists and from misogynists. But there's a legitimate issue here about what's acceptable in a workplace, especially in workplace cultures that already have a real problem with discrimination against women. Focusing on the outrage machine is a perpetual treadmill exercise.
                        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

So, the woman who made this shirt for him.... will she be dragged through the streets as a traitor to her own kind?
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This really does look like it's becoming GamerGate in spaaaace!, where the legitimate issue of misogyny in a given sub-culture
                            Hahahahahahahahahahahaha you actually think that's what GamerGate is about oh my goodness.

You're a worse dupe than JimL.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              So, the woman who made this shirt for him.... will she be dragged through the streets as a traitor to her own kind?
                              I haven't seen any indication of that. I haven't even seen anyone really arguing that Taylor shouldn't own a shirt like that. But he shouldn't be wearing it in a professional capacity in a professional setting. That's the issue.

Comment

I haven't seen any indication of that. I haven't even seen anyone really arguing that Taylor shouldn't own a shirt like that. But he shouldn't be wearing it in a professional capacity in a professional setting. That's the issue.
                                You really seem all over the map on this, Sam.

Comment