Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

"I don't care if you landed a spacecraft on a comet, your shirt is sexist"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Well, I thought you and I were getting along quite well, when it appeared you suddenly got upset. I was ribbing you in good fun (I thought) and I think you took it as a personal attack. I backed off.

You can watch Rogue and I, or Sparko and I go at it all the time, because we know we're kidding. (I think )
    You are kidding?

You mean you don't really love me, your third internet brother from a different mother?

Comment

Yeah, that's why bald fat guys can be sexy blond women named Cyndie.
      I think there must be a long backstory here.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I don't wish to be at war with you, so I apologize for poking you for your part in helping young people through life, and I see you take pride in your work, as well you should.
        Here's the thing.... I'm just naturally good at "practical" math - percentages, conversions of units, weights and measures --- HORRIBLE at Date Math, but.... math has always come easy for me.

My oldest daughter, however, was quite the opposite, and couldn't "get" math to save her soul. Sometimes we would sit and do math homework, and she would sail right through it because it "clicked", and other times (the VERY NEXT NIGHT) she would stare at the page of SAME KINDS of problems like she had never seen them before. It was incredibly frustrating for me that I couldn't teach her math, because it was SO EASY, and she was making it SO HARD.

I would have loved for her to have had somebody who could explain it in a way that she could actually get decent grades on math tests.

Later in her life, she got a job as a medical assistant, where she had to, in the course of her work, do all kinds of math (albeit that METRIC system from hell), and she EXCELLED at her job. I'm guessing because math finally "had a purpose".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          I think there must be a long backstory here.
          Pretty short one, actually.... a man joined my Church some years ago, and almost immediately tried to gain my confidence because he was being "set up" by the local sheriff's department for some "false charges" of sexual misconduct.

LONG story short, he (a 63 year old bald fat man) was trying to arrange pajama parties with "other" underage girls. He's still in prison.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            You are kidding?

You mean you don't really love me, your third internet brother from a different mother?

You're first - Rogue is third.

Comment

You're first - Rogue is third.
              And what ever happened to our other brother, Astra? I haven't seen her around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                And what ever happened to our other brother, Astra? I haven't seen her around.
                Last I heard, she was riding her bike.

Comment

Last I heard, she was riding her bike.
                  maybe she got lost.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                    61 percent of Southern Baptists are high school dropouts or have never been to college.
                    Jesse, let's take this here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                      Of course data shows this to be false. But I guess it is better to ignore the evidence then read it huh? You seem to be hung up on believing something I never said. Again, when you show me proof of this rampant sexism then we can move forward.
                      You have data showing that technology-oriented schools DON'T draw significantly more male students than female students? Or that all those women who specifically tell us that yes, they HAVE experienced sexism in science and engineering fields are lying, or that they experience for some reason doesn't count?

I get it. So you believe there is no feminist cottage industry were grievances are concerned. Well let me ask you this. Since you seem to be very in the know where feminist politics is concerned.
                      I've said nothing about "feminist politics." I don't have any clue what you mean by "feminist politics."

What is going to be next years grievance? T-shirts were big this year. Can you give us a heads up on what it will be in 2015 so we can apologize for it in advance? I like to keep a head of the curve.
                      What are you so angry about? You act as if there's an organized conspiracy against you, as if there's a massive army of feminists hell-bent on attacking you personally. There's no monolithic entity that feminists follow the way Catholics listen to the Pope. Your posts truly bewilder me. If a woman tells you that a certain depiction on a shirt sends an insulting message, and it's easy to see why, then just don't do it. She didn't demand that any laws be passed to prohibit men from wearing those shirts. She didn't attack him personally. She simply said that it doesn't send a positive message and is indicative of a larger problem. It's men, not women, who are ranting the loudest about this incident.
                      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

• Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                        You have data showing that technology-oriented schools DON'T draw significantly more male students than female students?
                        Of course they do. Because women aren't interested in them. I took computer networking classes. There wasn't a single girl in most of them. One female friend who took programming said all the other girls dropped out and she hated it but didn't want to because she was the last girl there and didn't want to shame her gender (no mention of sexism). Most women just aren't wired to enjoy some fields, so they don't. Many only end up there because of feminist brainwashing telling them there need to be women in X (where X is always a high status job and never unpleasant work like mining or brick laying). Stop trying to ruin people by turning them into androgynous blobs.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by square_peg
                          You have data showing that technology-oriented schools DON'T draw significantly more male students than female students?
                          I should have been more clear and that is my fault. So here is a quote from research conducted this year that will answer your question:

Source: psychologicalscience.org

The results of our myriad analyses reveal that early sex differences in spatial and mathematical reasoning need not
                          stem from biological bases, that the gap between average female and male math ability is narrowing (suggesting strong
                          environmental influences), and that sex differences in math ability at the right tail show variation over time and across
                          nationalities, ethnicities, and other factors, indicating that the ratio of males to females at the right tail can and does
                          change. We find that gender differences in attitudes toward and expectations about math careers and ability (controlling
                          for actual ability) are evident by kindergarten and increase thereafter, leading to lower female propensities to major in
                          math-intensive subjects in college but higher female propensities to major in non-math-intensive sciences, with overall
                          science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) majors at 50% female for more than a decade. Post-college,
                          although men with majors in math-intensive subjects have historically chosen and completed PhDs in these fields more
                          often than women, the gap has recently narrowed by two thirds; among non-math-intensive STEM majors, women are
                          more likely than men to go into health and other people-related occupations instead of pursuing PhDs.

© Copyright Original Source

If you actually took the time to read any of the research in this field you will see that your assertion is false. And it's becoming less true year by year.

Originally posted by square_peg
                          I've said nothing about "feminist politics." I don't have any clue what you mean by "feminist politics."
                          Of course you do. Unless you mean you don't know what the term "feminist politics" means.

Originally posted by square_peg
                          What are you so angry about? You act as if there's an organized conspiracy against you, as if there's a massive army of feminists hell-bent on attacking you personally. There's no monolithic entity that feminists follow the way Catholics listen to the Pope. Your posts truly bewilder me. If a woman tells you that a certain depiction on a shirt sends an insulting message, and it's easy to see why, then just don't do it. She didn't demand that any laws be passed to prohibit men from wearing those shirts. She didn't attack him personally. She simply said that it doesn't send a positive message and is indicative of a larger problem. It's men, not women, who are ranting the loudest about this incident.
                          I bet you were holding that in for a while huh? Just itching to claim this as a conspiracy of an angry male. Not that it matters, but this is one of the many things that don't anger me. But I do understand how uncomfortable the thought is that there are people out there in a movement that use their power as a club against what they deem as "wrong thinking". The woman in question deemed this guys shirt as insulting only to HER. Did you ever ask the question as to why no one but her made a fuss about his shirt at the beginning of all of this? How did her grievance over a simple shirt become a political rallying cry over the span of a few days? And then died just as quickly? But no square_peg, there couldn't possibly be any grievance olympics going on here.
                          Last edited by Jesse; 11-19-2014, 05:08 PM.
                          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

So, where is this now? Like so many other things, there's the faux outrage, the "back and forth", than it seemingly disappears from the news entirely.
                            They got the guy to cry and apologize. They now have their pound of flesh and will move on to someone else.
                            "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                              They got the guy to cry and apologize. They now have their pound of flesh and will move on to someone else.
                              We can hope. Sometimes, the extreme Feminazis do love to beat the dead horse....
                              “The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” - Richard Dawkins

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                                Of course they do. Because women aren't interested in them. I took computer networking classes. There wasn't a single girl in most of them. One female friend who took programming said all the other girls dropped out and she hated it but didn't want to because she was the last girl there and didn't want to shame her gender (no mention of sexism). Most women just aren't wired to enjoy some fields, so they don't. Many only end up there because of feminist brainwashing telling them there need to be women in X (where X is always a high status job and never unpleasant work like mining or brick laying). Stop trying to ruin people by turning them into androgynous blobs.
                                How did I know those three would amen this post?

Anyway, you're missing the point. Why aren't women interested in them? Obviously women aren't a monolithic entity, and some people who happen to be women simply won't be drawn to those fields, but when women make up half the world's population, there shouldn't be THAT drastic of a difference. You apparently answer this with the odd claim that "most women just aren't wired to enjoy some fields," but what evidence do you have that neurological differences between men and women influence this along science and technology lines?
                                Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment