Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

"I don't care if you landed a spacecraft on a comet, your shirt is sexist"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    I'll try to make sure it goes well with Crow, too.

As ever, Jesse
    So, you don't eat calf fries?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I see taoist has mastered the art of typing with one hand.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• I am not a stereotype. I am more of a surround-sound-type.

Comment

Sorry about that!

My work includes a sprint from Monday thru Tuesday, making anything I add on Wednesday a bit disjointed from the discussion. Here's a quick summary of the issue discussed in this thread:

@Rose Eveleth: No no women are toooootally welcome in our community, just ask the dude in this shirt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSv6...ature=youtu.be

Internet rebuttal: Go kill yourself!

More of the same on TWeb. The opposition showed up; they scored and scored, own goal after own goal ... like CP posting faux outrage, and castigating faux outrage.

This isn't a mystery; it's a comedy.

And it's freaking hilarious!

As ever, Jesse
          Yeah the guy went crying on TV begging forgiveness of the progressive Muttaween because of one tweet.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

But the "king" deal is nonsense, and to the extent it bugs me, it's only because I'd like to think better of you.
            Jesse, I sincerely apologize for this, and poking you with the "Absorbine Junior College" comment. You seem to enjoy "poking", but don't receive it so well.

I don't wish to be at war with you, so I apologize for poking you for your part in helping young people through life, and I see you take pride in your work, as well you should.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Jesse, I sincerely apologize for this, and poking you with the "Absorbine Junior College" comment. You seem to enjoy "poking", but don't receive it so well.

I don't wish to be at war with you, so I apologize for poking you for your part in helping young people through life, and I see you take pride in your work, as well you should.
              Looks like tao got his genuflection after all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                Looks like tao got his genuflection after all.
                Meh.... I'm sure he's a good guy in real life.

Comment

I'm sure most of us here are. The Internet changes people.
                  “The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” - Richard Dawkins

Comment

• Originally posted by ChaosRain View Post
                    The Internet lets people be who they truly are.

Comment

I think he's also a good guy on the Internet.
                      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                        I think he's also a good guy on the Internet.
                        OK.

Comment

Absolutely. I think a LOT of us say things to each other that we'd never say in real life.

PLUS, many of the things we say would come across a lot differently because of the facial expression, body language, tone of voice --- a lot of stuff that's totally missing here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            The Internet lets people be who they truly are.
                            Yeah, that's why bald fat guys can be sexy blond women named Cyndie.

Comment

Absolutely. I think a LOT of us say things to each other that we'd never say in real life.

PLUS, many of the things we say would come across a lot differently because of the facial expression, body language, tone of voice --- a lot of stuff that's totally missing here.
                              Exactly correct. I'd never be as abrasive as I am on the Internet in real life, for example. The barrier that separates people on the Internet is one of the most damaging things to ever have been invented.
                              “The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” - Richard Dawkins

Comment

Exactly correct. I'd never be as abrasive as I am on the Internet in real life, for example. The barrier that separates people on the Internet is one of the most damaging things to ever have been invented.
                                Well, I thought you and I were getting along quite well, when it appeared you suddenly got upset. I was ribbing you in good fun (I thought) and I think you took it as a personal attack. I backed off.

You can watch Rogue and I, or Sparko and I go at it all the time, because we know we're kidding. (I think )

Comment