Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are YECs ignorant, dumb, or stupid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are YECs ignorant, dumb, or stupid?

This should really be a poll, but which in view of (literally) mountains of evidence,

Which option fits best for the vociferous YECs you know?

1) Ignorant (unaware of the evidence)

2) Dumb (unable to process the evidence)

3) Stupid (holding to an unsupportable view in spite of the evidence)

K54

If someone knows how to set up a poll, please let me know,

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
    Why? Are you too

1) ignorant,
    2) dumb or
    3) stupid

to do it yourself?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This should really be a poll, but which in view of (literally) mountains of evidence,

K54

Most of the vociferous YECs who I know are non-scientists. They would probably fit best under a combination of your categories 1 and 2.

They are scientifically untrained (not quite the same as your category 2, "dumb", but the same concept), and unable to digest science without help. Thus they rely on popular science presentations, where someone else has pre-digested the science for them. These sorts of presentations can be found by people working from all sorts of different worldviews. We all tend to trust those who share a basic worldview with us, so the YECs tend to trust popular science presenttions which come from a fundamentalist Christian position. This gives them a selective, distorted view of the science, and they believe what they are told by virtue of the credentials of the presenter.

Because these folks are listening to only the data presented by their favorite popular science presenters, they also fit in your category 1. They are ignorant of much real scientific data.
      "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

Some are just very nice people who don't have any interest in or use for science.
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          Some are just very nice people who don't have any interest in or use for science.
          Certainly they are often "nice people". But they nevertheless inculcate innocent young minds with their ignorance and this is unforgivable.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            Certainly they are often "nice people". But they nevertheless inculcate innocent young minds with their ignorance and this is unforgivable.
            Why so unforgiving?

Comment

K54
              It's basically always ignorance, although that ignorance can be willful or apathetic. So the insulting and condescending tone is unwarranted. I'd say most people simply don't care about the issue enough to read into it in depth.
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

LOL. Klaus, take a chill pill.
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

K54

Most likely none of the above, except for possibly the mentally ill of mentally incapable of understanding the evidence and the nature and consequences of of the choices. Actually some types of mental illnesses are possibilities.

Considering the YEC, ID and OEC believers in the USA, it is a matter of choice, because the general education of the country is high enough to understand the evidence and the implications. I would consider the choice of the irrational and illogical avoidance of the evidence for favoring the justification of a religious agenda. I consider this a dishonest choice, particularly the leadership. Of course, the sheep follow the goats from there.

For the goats it is a control issue. imagine the power of controlling the minds of the sheep of over half the population of the Christians of the USA.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-15-2014, 09:08 PM.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Why so unforgiving?
                    I don’t find it acceptable to indoctrinate young minds with misinformation, do you? Especially as religious leaders are aware of the vulnerability of the child brain. The Jesuit claim: “Give me the child for his first seven years, and I’ll give you the man” is as accurate today as it ever was.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I don’t find it acceptable to indoctrinate young minds with misinformation, do you? Especially as religious leaders are aware of the vulnerability of the child brain. The Jesuit claim: “Give me the child for his first seven years, and I’ll give you the man” is as accurate today as it ever was.
                      Acceptable, no. Unforgivable? Who am I to claim that someone else is unforgivable? I will leave that to God in his infinite mercy.

Comment

Why so unforgiving?
                        In my case it is not me to forgive nor condemn, for it is God who ultimately judges. but the consequences are chilling; the power of the goats leading the sheep.

I have more compassion for the atheists and agnostics, because they are at least thinkers of the alternatives that are more real, at least they get the science right, then the ancient paradigms of the past that have potentially chilling and dangerous in the consequences of their impact on the future of humanity.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-15-2014, 09:40 PM.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          In my case it is not me to forgive nor condemn, for it is God who ultimately judges. but the consequences are chilling; the power of the goats leading the sheep.

I have more compassion for the atheists and agnostics, because they are at least thinkers of the alternatives that are more real, at least they get the science right, then the ancient paradigms of the past that have potentially chilling and dangerous in the consequences of their impact on the future of humanity.
                          Precisely, and this is what robrecht chooses to ignore with his pious platitudes and calm acceptance of the spread of ignorance.

Comment

Precisely, and this is what robrecht chooses to ignore with his pious platitudes and calm acceptance of the spread of ignorance.
                            Nonsense. I have not ignored anything. But I do not proclaim that others are unforgivable.

Comment

Nonsense. I have not ignored anything. But I do not proclaim that others are unforgivable.
                              And neither have I proclaimed that others are unforgivable; it’s their behaviour, i.e. promoting ignorance that is unforgivable in my view.

Comment