Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Debate Coming Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debate Coming Up

http://debatelive.org/

It may be interesting.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

One holds the position that you're against the Bible if you don't believe in literal days of creation while the other holds that you're against science if you don't believe in evolution. I once had respect for both of these debaters, but I don't hold any hope that much good will come of the debate.
    "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
      One holds the position that you're against the Bible if you don't believe in literal days of creation while the other holds that you're against science if you don't believe in evolution. I once had respect for both of these debaters, but I don't hold any hope that much good will come of the debate.
      Nope. It's never a good sign when it's two people on opposite extremes of a spectrum with plenty of nuanced views in between.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Nope. It's never a good sign when it's two people on opposite extremes of a spectrum with plenty of nuanced views in between.
        Having said all that I don't think the science guy has a chance.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Having said all that I don't think the science guy has a chance.
          He has a chance if he can huff and puff as much as his opposition. Beating Ken Ham has little to do with one's knowledge of science. It's all about tactics and showmanship - take that away and Ham has nothing.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            He has a chance if he can huff and puff as much as his opposition. Beating Ken Ham has little to do with one's knowledge of science. It's all about tactics and showmanship - take that away and Ham has nothing.

Jim
            That is not right at all Jim, I have seen Ham debate - he has a very wide knowledge base on this subject, probably way more than the science guy. I'm not saying that Ham will necessarily be correct, just that he knows the subject better.

Comment

The creationist always argues a straw man fallacy. They have no science of their own to argue. It is a great shame that so many people fall for this stuff which is down to truly dismal schooling in some places.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

...I have seen Ham debate - he has a very wide knowledge base on this subject, probably way more than the science guy...
                Have I arrived in Neverland? Is Ken Ham debating the Cookie Monster? If Ken Ham has such a wide knowledge base concerning the history of life then what is he doing defending creationism?

Look, if I claimed that Moses, John the Baptist and Elijah were the authors of the Gospel according to Luke and fought at a river with their brother so they could visit a stable where the baby David was fighting a couple of lions, would you consider this an indication that I have a 'wide knowledge base' concerning the Bible? No, you'd call me stupid. But Ken Ham is suddenly an expert because in scientific terms he can say things that are just as nonsensical? What kind of world have I entered?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathandavid View Post
                  Have I arrived in Neverland? Is Ken Ham debating the Cookie Monster? If Ken Ham has such a wide knowledge base concerning the history of life then what is he doing defending creationism?

Look, if I claimed that Moses, John the Baptist and Elijah were the authors of the Gospel according to Luke and fought at a river with their brother so they could visit a stable where the baby David was fighting a couple of lions, would you consider this an indication that I have a 'wide knowledge base' concerning the Bible? No, you'd call me stupid. But Ken Ham is suddenly an expert because in scientific terms he can say things that are just as nonsensical? What kind of world have I entered?
                  Well let's wait and see. The Science Guy claims that he can set Ham straight.

Comment

The general consensus of opinion around the scientific community is that this debate is a mistake for Nye. No doubt Nye can mop the floor with Ham's scientifically laughable YEC claims but that's not the issue. Ham is holding this in his Creation Museum with the audience crammed full of his scientifically ignorant mouth-breathing YEC supporters. They'll whoop and holler and won't understand a single thing Nye presents, and Ham won't care one bit either. This is just a publicity stunt to help Ham with the serious cash deficit faced by his "Noah's Ark" project. By giving Ham this debate all Nye will do is legitimize Ham's "creation science" in the eyes of fence-sitting yet scientifically unaware Christians and help Ham line his pockets with more of their donated $$$$.

Comment

That is bound to fail, because Ham's goal is not to debate anything having to do with facts about nature. His failure or success completely depends on his position within the community that supports him. Ham will interpret every empirical result of evolutionary biology as a deception by god-hating scientists; he rejects scientific results a priori. That is a lousy basis for debate.

John Wilkins just posted a blog message that is very relevant for this:
                      http://evolvingthoughts.net/2014/01/...-of-denialism/

Ken Ham has made himself immune for any empirical result that shows evolution. If research cannot convince someone, that person has left the realm of science, and there is no longer any scientific debate. What remains is drawing the lines in terms of religion, communities and identity. And of course, blunt retorical power.

Comment

I doubt seriously that such a debate would 'set Ham straight.' If he has a good foundation in the science of our earth history, biology and evolution; then the debate would not be necessary. The science of evolution stands on its own scientific merits.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I would insist on a moderator committed to neutrality before engaging in any such enterprise. There's too extensive of a history of underhanded debate tactics on this issue.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

He can't know much about the subject because if he did, then he would agree with me.
                            Last edited by Soyeong; 01-27-2014, 03:15 PM.
                            "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
                              He can't know much about the subject because if he did, then he would agree with me.
                              Yes and they call Ham bias!

Comment