Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

So who is watching Philae?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rwatts
    replied
    Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    "More analysis of @Philae2014 telemetry indicates harpoons did not fire as 1st thought. Lander in gr8 shape. Team looking at refire options."
    Well I staggered out of bed at around 2:30 for the usual nightly trip. Went back to bed and tossed and turned for a bit, but had to get up and see what had happened, if anything. I was just it time to see the final confirmation come through, that it had landed. Sleep came more easily after that.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    "More analysis of @Philae2014 telemetry indicates harpoons did not fire as 1st thought. Lander in gr8 shape. Team looking at refire options."

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Time to make comet snowcones.

Leave a comment:

• The Pixie
    replied
    Just landed.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    "The cold gas thruster on top of the lander does not appear to be working so we will have to rely fully on the harpoons at touchdown,” says Stephan Ulamec, Philae Lander Manager at the DLR German Aerospace Center. “We’ll need some luck not to land on a boulder or a steep slope.”
    http://sci.esa.int/rosetta/54930-ros...or-separation/

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Touchdown?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/12/world/...own/index.html
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-12-2014, 07:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rwatts
    replied
    Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
    I think that will be about 2am my time. A bit to late or a bit too early to crack open a beer to celebrate.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    Perhaps the moderator would like to merge the two threads – see Rosetta comet landing.

Leave a comment:

• Kelp(p)
    replied

Leave a comment:

• The Pixie
    replied
    Originally posted by rwatts View Post
    I'm worried that it might hit the comet and bounce off.

And wouldn't it be funny if it succesfully landed and the first organics it found were a bacterium or a virus.

(At the time of writing I think the decision to separate is still some time away)
    I was curious what they have to detect such things, and came across this article about the COSEC:

http://www.researchgate.net/publicat...a8d260bf000000

Fairly technical, but as I use GC-MS at work, I found it fascinating. Sounds like it can handle molecular weights up to around 1500. It will be very interesting to see what it finds.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    The Philae lander is on its way to the surface of comet 67P Churyumov-Gerasimenko. About 7 hours until touchdown.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    Rosetta comet landing

http://www.theguardian.com/science/a...ding-live-blog
    and news at many other sites.

Leave a comment:

• rwatts
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I am just waiting.
    Yes.

I wish they would release the darn thing, but as you say, one just has to wait.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    I am just waiting.

Leave a comment:

• rwatts
    started a topic So who is watching Philae?

So who is watching Philae?

I'm worried that it might hit the comet and bounce off.

And wouldn't it be funny if it succesfully landed and the first organics it found were a bacterium or a virus.

(At the time of writing I think the decision to separate is still some time away)