Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Virus that 'makes humans more stupid' discovered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus that 'makes humans more stupid' discovered

Source: The Independent

A virus that infects human brains and makes us more stupid has been discovered, according to scientists in the US.

The algae virus, never before observed in healthy people, was found to affect cognitive functions including visual processing and spatial awareness.

Scientists at Johns Hopkins Medical School and the University of Nebraska stumbled upon the discovery when they were undertaking an unrelated study into throat microbes.

Surprisingly, the researchers found DNA in the throats of healthy individuals that matched the DNA of a virus known to infect green algae.

Dr Robert Yolken, a virologist who led the original study, said: “This is a striking example showing that the ‘innocuous’ microorganisms we carry can affect behaviour and cognition.

“Many physiological differences between person A and person B are encoded in the set of genes each inherits from parents, yet some of these differences are fuelled by the various microorganisms we harbour and the way they interact with our genes.”

Of the 90 participants in the study, 40 tested positive for the algae virus. Those who tested positive performed worse on tests designed to measure the speed and accuracy of visual processing. They also achieved lower scores in tasks designed to measure attention.

Humans’ bodies contain trillions of bacteria, viruses and fungi. Most are harmless, but the findings of this research show that there some microbes can have a detrimental impact on cognitive functions, while leaving individuals healthy.

The study’s findings were published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Remember when I said people are getting dumber? Well here is more proof. And I know what some of you are going to say, "But Jesse, this article says nothing about people getting dumber". Just take my word for it, people are getting dumber.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Discovering the virus does not mean that it is something new. The virus may have been around for millennia. Being stupid is nothing new,
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

When you log onto Tweb for the first time, the virus is downloaded through your computer to your (human body) system. Of course, you have to already have SOME of the virus to log on in the first place.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Discovering the virus does not mean that it is something new. The virus may have been around for millennia. Being stupid is nothing new,
        That's SOOOO not fair, Shuny! I'm trying to be nicer and you throw a straight line like that out!

No fair!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Some people manage to be stupid all on their own. Another triumph for humanity!

Comment

Maybe it's not merely laziness that part of population cannot compete for resources, and join ranks of have-nots.
            To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Now I understand what is happening to my mind as I grow older.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

More stupid?

Hardly seems possible?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  More stupid?

Hardly seems possible?
                  that's 'stupidier'

Comment

Maybe we will learn to keep green algae out of our diet.

umm.

unless it is too late and we aren't smart enough anymore.

Comment

This explains my sister and father.
                      "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

umm.

I wonder if it is the type of virus that you catch, then it goes away. Only to come back again. Because some days I feel dumber than others. Or...maybe that is the virus making me believe it goes away, but I am too stupid to notice.
                        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

We don't need no stinkin' virus to make us dumber. We has the interwebz and facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            We don't need no stinkin' virus to make us dumber. We has the interwebz and facebook!

Yeah, and that Wickie thing!
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

umm.

Wait, blue green agae is a health food crank wonder herb.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment