Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Protoplanetary Disk (Best View Ever)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protoplanetary Disk (Best View Ever)

How sad that YECs can't appreciate empirical confirmation of informed predictions.

Delightfully majestic.

Comment

Its very neat and an amazing thing. Though I really don't like seeing you use this to rag on the YEC's on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        Its very neat and an amazing thing. Though I really don't like seeing you use this to rag on the YEC's on this forum.
        Easy considering the primitive archaic view of YECer's of science its easy to rag them. As in the discovery I referred to in another tread is more evidence that our universe, galaxy, and solar is billions of years old, and there are billions of solar systems in various stages of natural formation that reflect the natural history of our own solar system.

Double rag the dumb dumbies.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          ... As in the discovery I referred to in another tread is more evidence that our universe, galaxy, and solar is billions of years old, and there are billions of solar systems in various stages of natural formation that reflect the natural history of our own solar system.

I think your thread is actually a duplicate of this one, 'though it includes text and not just a picture. Might be worthwhile to combine the threads.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/spectacular-view-of-newborn-planetary-system-captured-by-radio-telescope/?WT.mc_id=SA_DD_20141107

A huge radio telescope in Chile has captured the best-ever image of planets forming around a distant star, researchers say.

The spectacular view of planet birth, taken by the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) in northern Chile, shows numerous concentric rings in the disk of dust and gas surrounding HL Tau, a sunlike star found about 450 light-years away from Earth.

"These features are almost certainly the result of young planet like bodies that are being formed in the disk," ALMA deputy director Stuartt Corder said in a statement. "This is surprising, since HL Tau is no more than a million years old and such young stars are not expected to have large planetary bodies capable of producing the structures we see in this image." [Amazing ALMA Radio Telescope Images]

The stunning detail and clarity of the new ALMA radio telescope image surprised scientists.

© Copyright Original Source

These discoveries are important, because of the belief that our solar system and planet is in some way unique in our universe. Considering the number of earth like planets and solar systems being observed is increasing just in our galaxy it becomes more and more apparent our solar system is not unique.
          It is sad that some fundamentalists of various religions cannot appreciate the knowledge of 'creation' that science affords us.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

If you tolerate stupidity it will grow.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwVe5...ukTekgSRZrjadw
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
              I think your thread is actually a duplicate of this one, 'though it includes text and not just a picture. Might be worthwhile to combine the threads.
              Your correct, but the text is important.
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-08-2014, 07:38 AM.
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Ragging on YEC's was unnescessary, that's all I was pointing out. Basically the OP is "Here's this wonderful news story, oh and incidentally boo to the YEC's" And now its quickly turning into a backslapping session of mutual reassurement that bashing YEC's is both good and fun.

Originally posted by firstfloor
                If you tolerate stupidity it will grow.
                Amen, but how is that accomplished by ending every planetary science news post with a pointing out of YEC's beliefs? There's a difference between pointing out mistakes others make, and bashing. This is plainly bashing.

Originally posted by Shunyadragon
                See what I mean firstfloor?

Comment

I understand what you are saying but remember how serious the problem is. Also with global climate change rapidly approaching the point of no return, the increasing disrespect for scientific knowledge that comes with creationism is becoming an existential threat to our civilisation.

http://assembly.coe.int/main.asp?lin...7/eres1580.htm
                  “12. Our modern world is based on a long history, of which the development of science and technology forms an important part. However, the scientific approach is still not well understood and this is liable to encourage the development of all manner of fundamentalism and extremism. The total rejection of science is definitely one of the most serious threats to human and civic rights.”

“13. The war on the theory of evolution and on its proponents most often originates in forms of religious extremism closely linked to extreme right-wing political movements. The creationist movements possess real political power. The fact of the matter, and this has been exposed on several occasions, is that some advocates of strict creationism are out to replace democracy by theocracy.”

Christians insist that Jesus saves. The truth is that Jesus kills.
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                  “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Ragging on YEC's was unnescessary, that's all I was pointing out. Basically the OP is "Here's this wonderful news story, oh and incidentally boo to the YEC's" And now its quickly turning into a backslapping session of mutual reassurement that bashing YEC's is both good and fun.
                    I suspect the OP was mostly done to tweak the nose of one particularly obnoxious TWeb YEC who has repeatedly claimed that planet formation by natural methods is impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                      I suspect the OP was mostly done to tweak the nose of one particularly obnoxious TWeb YEC who has repeatedly claimed that planet formation by natural methods is impossible.
                      Given whag's other posts, that's highly doubtful. Apparently to him, someone being a YEC means they can't have an informed opinion on any subject.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        I understand what you are saying but remember how serious the problem is. Also with global climate change rapidly approaching the point of no return, the increasing disrespect for scientific knowledge that comes with creationism is becoming an existential threat to our civilisation.
                        Most YEC's are so entirely out of religious reasons, and not for scientific ones.

The correlation between YEC's and Global Warming Dissent has more to do with YEC's tending to be politically conservative, and there's a powerful lobby to sow fear, uncertainty and doubt about global warming. So this has nothing to do with their religion as such.

“13. The war on the theory of evolution and on its proponents most often originates in forms of religious extremism closely linked to extreme right-wing political movements.
                        There you go.

Christians insist that Jesus saves. The truth is that Jesus kills.

Okay, I'm not hiring you to be a slogan writer, you need to work on it.

Comment

Amen, but how is that accomplished by ending every planetary science news post with a pointing out of YEC's beliefs? There's a difference between pointing out mistakes others make, and bashing. This is plainly bashing.

Be it bash, trash or rag; I have absolutely no respect for those who in YEC, because of the harm they cause science and society with archaic superstitious nonsense.

Frank

Comment

I agree, it's not particularly helpful to rag on them. Problem is, explaining things to them calmly and rationally doesn't really work, either. The fear of science is deeply entrenched and attached to eternal consequences.

See any Cerebrum123 or Mossy post on evolution, and this becomes well apparent.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              Given whag's other posts, that's highly doubtful. Apparently to him, someone being a YEC means they can't have an informed opinion on any subject.
                              I wouldn't say that's true. Henry Morris was very knowledgeable on some matters. He just went of the rails on biblical literalism.

Comment