Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

More knowledge before the Big Bang about matter/anti-matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More knowledge before the Big Bang about matter/anti-matter

this is an example of where we are discovering what our physical existence was like before the 'Big Bang.'

Source: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/18924/20141029/physicists-uncover-new-clues-about-matter-and-antimatter.htm

Although we know that both matter and antimatter exist, we don't really know why we have more matter than antimatter in the universe. However, a new discovery, made by an international team of over 800 scientists working at CERN, could provide clues to this mystery after discovering new details about Bs mesons.

Before the Big Bang, about 14 billion years ago, energy contained equal amounts of matter and antimatter. After the Big Bang, though, about 3.8 billion years ago, matter became prevalent and formed everything in the Universe: stars, galaxies and life. After that, antimatter became rare.

So what happened to all that antimatter? The answer may start with the Bs meson.

Bs mesons are subatomic particles that contain both a quark and an antiquark. Quarks are elementary particles that appear as hard pointed objects inside a proton and neutron in the nucleus of an atom.

"Many international experiments are interested in the Bs meson because it oscillates between a matter particle and an antimatter particle," says Sheldon Stone, who heads up Syracuse's High-Energy Physics Group. "Understanding its properties may shed light on charge-parity [CP] violation, which refers to the balance of matter and antimatter in the universe and is one of the biggest challenges of particle physics."

Read more: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/18...#ixzz3HcsiqCP1

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by Cow Poke; 10-30-2014, 07:21 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

The Big Band

Oops, I think Shuny meant to say 'the Big Bang'.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      The Big Band

Oops, I think Shuny meant to say 'the Big Bang'.
      Everything must start with the Big Band performance. No Big Band, no universe.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

After the Big Bang, though, about 3.8 billion years ago, matter became prevalent and formed everything in the Universe: stars, galaxies and life.
        Something not right there. The sun is about 4 billion years old, and is third generation.

The same figure is in the linked article.
        http://news.syr.edu/syracuse-physici...imatter-28297/

However, the page linked from there says:
        http://lhcb-public.web.cern.ch/lhcb-public/

Fourteen billion years ago, the Universe began with a bang. Crammed within an infinitely small space, energy coalesced to form equal quantities of matter and antimatter. But as the Universe cooled and expanded, its composition changed. Just one second after the Big Bang, antimatter had all but disappeared, leaving matter to form everything that we see around us — from the stars and galaxies, to the Earth and all life that it supports.

By the way, I read Big Band as Big Bang about five times before seeing robrecht's comment. You read what you expect, I guess.
        My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          I particularly enjoyed Glenn Miller.

(nonetheless, I fixed the title)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Yeah, I’d give it 4 out of 10 for accuracy. On the related subject of primordial nucleosynthesis, the production of protons, etc. at 10 seconds – 20 minutes, a couple of times, most recently from Sean Carroll, I have heard that this often reported wave/particle duality is incorrect. Physicists think in terms of fields and waves nowadays. So at the very earliest times less than about 10s the fields are so hot that no matter can condense out of them. I think the idea is that this field should produce as much anti-matter as matter in which case why is only matter left over. So there seems to be some undiscovered asymmetry in the physics or there really are anti-matter galaxies out there somewhere.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Does anyone else think the "Bs meson" has been unfortunately named?
              "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
                Something not right there.
                Ah, so it's what's the matter about matter and anti-matter.

Comment