Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Gitt’s First Law of Information.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This paper appears to try and address the 'design/no design' issue in the evolution of life. At present it is not feasible to get whole articles to give a complete critique. It seems to indicate that current evolutionary theory does not fully address the no-design/design issue, and this Constructor theory 'will' resolve the problem and justify a no-design scenario. The fog index is a little high and without reading whole papers I will have to reserve judgment and continue with 'it seems' statements.

Source: http://arxiv.org/abs/1407.0681

Constructor Theory of Life by Chiara Marletto

(Submitted on 1 Jul 2014 (v1), last revised 4 Nov 2014 (this version, v2))

Neo-Darwinian evolutionary theory explains how the appearance of purposive design in the sophisticated adaptations of living organisms can have come about without their intentionally being designed. The explanation relies crucially on the possibility of certain physical processes: mainly, gene replication and natural selection. In this paper I show that for those processes to be possible without the design of biological adaptations being encoded in the laws of physics, those laws must have certain other properties. The theory of what these properties are is not part of evolution theory proper, and has not been developed, yet without it the neo-Darwinian theory does not fully achieve its purpose of explaining the appearance of design. To this end I apply Constructor Theory's new mode of explanation to provide an exact formulation of the appearance of design, of no-design laws, and of the logic of self-reproduction and natural selection, within fundamental physics. I conclude that self-reproduction, replication and natural selection are possible under no-design laws, the only non-trivial condition being that they allow digital information to be physically instantiated. This has an exact characterisation in the constructor theory of information. I also show that under no-design laws an accurate replicator requires the existence of a "vehicle" constituting, together with the replicator, a self-reproducer.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-06-2014, 08:55 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      This paper appears to try and address the 'design/no design' issue in the evolution of life. At present it is not feasible to get whole articles to give a complete critique. It seems to indicate that current evolutionary theory does not fully address the no-design/design issue, and this Constructor theory 'will' resolve the problem and justify a no-design scenario. The fog index is a little high and without reading whole papers I will have to reserve judgment and continue wit 'it seems' statements.

Thanks for the info.

Jeremy England has proposed a new theory of life based on thermodynamics principles.

See: http://www.quantamagazine.org/201401...heory-of-life/

Comment

Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
        Thanks for the info.

Jeremy England has proposed a new theory of life based on thermodynamics principles.

See: http://www.quantamagazine.org/201401...heory-of-life/
        I am familiar with this explanation and like it, I may comment more.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment