Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Physics professor endorces Intelligent Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Argument from Ignorance. Same exact thing you complained Seer was doing earlier.

Also, false. The issue is interpretation, not lack of evidence.
    Read my posts completely and respond appropriately. There is no evidence that our physical existence is infinite and eternal, nor finite and temporal. I do not present an argument beyond we do not know. That is not an Argument from Ignorance, because I am not making a positive argument based on unknowns.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      And that is the point. Where is the evidence for anything prior to the Big Bang? You are still suggesting that something more than this universe exists, and that is purely a statement of belief.
      Your argument is based on 'belief,' because there is no evidence for absolute beginnings.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Your argument is based on 'belief,' because there is no evidence for absolute beginnings.
        That is nonsense, there certainly is evidence that this universe began in a big bang. And zero evidence for anything prior to that event.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

And that is the point. Where is the evidence for anything prior to the Big Bang? You are still suggesting that something more than this universe exists, and that is purely a statement of belief.
          I have never suggested that something more than this universe exists. I have simply said that you are wrong to claim that the Big Bang shows the universe had a temporal past boundary. Nothing in Big Bang cosmology implies that the universe began to exist with the Big Bang.
          "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
          --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
            I have never suggested that something more than this universe exists. I have simply said that you are wrong to claim that the Big Bang shows the universe had a temporal past boundary. Nothing in Big Bang cosmology implies that the universe began to exist with the Big Bang.
            Then what does the Big Bang imply?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

That is nonsense, there certainly is evidence that this universe began in a big bang. And zero evidence for anything prior to that event.
              Please cite scientific evidence that the Big Bang is the absolute beginning of everything. Still waiting . . .

Frank

Comment

The beginning of inflation of the universe at 0 plank second. There is no evidence that this is an absolute beginning of everything.

Frank

Comment

Please cite scientific evidence that the Big Bang is the absolute beginning of everything. Still waiting . . .
                  Really?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing cosmological model for the early development of the universe.The key idea is that the universe is expanding. Consequently, the universe was denser and hotter in the past. Moreover, the Big Bang model suggests that at some moment all of space was contained in a single point, which is considered the beginning of the universe. Modern measurements place this moment at approximately 13.8 billion years ago, which is thus considered the age of the universe.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

Comment

The beginning of inflation of the universe at 0 plank second.
                    And what existed before that?

Comment

Really?!?!?! nothing here offers evidence that the Big Bang is the beginning of our physical existence. It is simply the beginning of the inflation of our universe. The Age of the present Universe does not offer any evidence that nothing existed prior to the Big Bang. Again if Steinhardt is correct the universe is cyclic, eternal and infinite. Still waiting . . .

Frank

Comment

A period of rapid expansion of space-time.
                        "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

Comment

A period of rapid expansion of space-time.
                          And what caused that? What came before?

Comment

And what caused that? What came before?
                            We don't know. That's been the entire point. There's no evidence one way or the other.

Comment

We don't know. That's been the entire point. There's no evidence one way or the other.
                              No, there is evidence that this universe is finite. That it began with the Big Bang.

Comment

No, there is evidence that this universe is finite. That it began with the Big Bang.
                                And we have come full circle! What is the evidence that the universe began with the Big Bang?

Comment