Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Science validates Astrology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phank View Post
    What, don't you realize that about 12% of these diseased, demented rapists are left-handed?
    Try harder, you might produce an actual thought.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

This is wrong on several counts. First, he has no evidence of any sort of pathogen, not even indirectly. Second, the genetic proposal has certainly not been disproved, anymore than the pathogen proposal. Lack of evidence isn't disproof. Third, there have been other proposals currently being tested both directly (looking for causes) and indirectly (looking for statistical patterns.)It's not impossible that a pathogen is involved, anymore than it's impossible that God's Will is involved. But neither can be proved yet.
      This is false, it's not just a lack of evidence, it's that it doesn't show up at or anywhere near 100% in identical twins. Best case scenario is that genes make you susceptible to it, like a food deformation may make you susceptible to tripping and falling on your face.

Meanwhile the pathogen proposal is not, as far as I know, being studied, but is consistent with the data we do have available.

The homophobia arises from using such terms as disorders and pathology to describe a normal, permanent aspect of human variation.
      There are a lot of permanent disorders. It is abnormal by definition, it interferes with the reproduction system.

Just because a variation is in the minority doesn't make it pathological.
      You are correct. The fact that it disrupts a system and causes it to malfunction does though.

That was the purpose of the handedness comment, by the way. There was a time, within living memory, when being left-handed WAS regarded as a disorder to be cured. Hopefully, the sinisterphobes have vanished.
      It's a stupid comment because left handedness doesn't actually disrupt your normal ability to use your hands to manipulate the environment.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        Individual examples don't mean anything, it's why we work with high sample sizes whenever possible. Nobody is claiming there is a 100% correlation between date of birth and personality.
        Read again, my answer about me was more rhetorical, but astrology is keyed to individuals and not in reality a statistical variation within a group. The important part of my answer is that his has a weak correlation of percentages of births and behavior, and how astrology works.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

The irony of this post is kind of striking. Edited by a Moderator
          I was more referring to your rank hypocrisy than I was to your intolerance. Liberals like you scream "bigotry!" and "intolerance!" if someone even kind-of looks like they might possibly harbor something that vaguely resembles a negative thought towards a Liberal Approved™ group or belief, but have no problem spewing bigoted and intolerant bile at just about anything else. The blatant hypocrisy of this sort of pseudo-tolerance that you and other liberals of your ilk practice ("liberal tolerance") is what I was actually "attacking."
          Last edited by Littlejoe; 10-23-2014, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Also, phank, complaining about moderation in the thread is also a no no. You are in danger of additional moderation. Cool it, is my suggestion.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Second, the genetic proposal has certainly not been disproved, anymore than the pathogen proposal. Lack of evidence isn't disproof.
              Which is more plausible, in your opinion, and why?

Comment

Left handedness doesn't lead to bloody colons, AIDS epidemics, raping teenagers and a slew of other mental and social issues as far as I know. Though the incovenience is probably enough that it can be cured with a trivial treatment there's no reason not to do it.
                Homosexuality doesn't lead to bloody colons, AIDS epidemics, or raping teenagers, either.

Bloody colons are the result of anal sex, whether or not a person is homosexual. Certainly you're not implying that homosexuals are the only ones who have anal sex?

AIDS epidemics were largely fostered by unprotected sex and sharing hypodermic needles, whether or not the persons involved were homosexual. Certainly you're not implying that homosexuals are the only ones with AIDS?

The rape of teenagers is a matter of pedophilia and violence, whether or not the rapist is homosexual. Certainly you're not implying that only homosexuals rape teenagers?
                "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                  Homosexuality doesn't lead to bloody colons, AIDS epidemics, or raping teenagers, either.

Bloody colons are the result of anal sex, whether or not a person is homosexual. Certainly you're not implying that homosexuals are the only ones who have anal sex?

AIDS epidemics were largely fostered by unprotected sex and sharing hypodermic needles, whether or not the persons involved were homosexual. Certainly you're not implying that homosexuals are the only ones with AIDS?

The rape of teenagers is a matter of pedophilia and violence, whether or not the rapist is homosexual. Certainly you're not implying that only homosexuals rape teenagers?

Comment

Well, I'm quite glad to have blown your mind, though I'm not sure how you were unaware of this incredibly basic information prior to my sharing it.
                    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

The homophobia arises from using such terms as disorders and pathology to describe a normal, permanent aspect of human variation. Just because a variation is in the minority doesn't make it pathological. That was the purpose of the handedness comment, by the way. There was a time, within living memory, when being left-handed WAS regarded as a disorder to be cured. Hopefully, the sinisterphobes have vanished.

You're quite happy to stretch language almost to the breaking point (advancing a theory on the cause of homosexuality is 'homophobia') yet whine when others use "...terms such as disorders and pathology...".

Strain at gnats much?
                      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                        Certainly you're not implying that homosexuals are the only ones with AIDS?
                        They make up the majority of cases.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          They make up the majority of cases.
                          Not even close. Sub-Saharan Africa has an estimated over 25 million cases of HIV infections with the large majority of them being hetero. Compare that to the estimated 1.1 million cases in the U.S. (2012 data). Claiming that this is a "gay disease" is pure ignorance.

Comment

Left handedness doesn't lead to bloody colons, AIDS epidemics, raping teenagers and a slew of other mental and social issues as far as I know.
                            Quite so. Catholicism does that.

Roy
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post

Roy
                              Is this sarcasm?
                              "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                              -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              I support the :
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post

Roy
                                Not as much as the American public school system. FWIU, a larger percent of teachers and coaches have been accused of having sex with students than RCC priests have been accused of having sex with underage parishioners.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment