Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Science validates Astrology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science validates Astrology?

One of those things nearly every intellectual regardless of political or religious views agree on is that Astrology is BS. But what if it isn't?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...sposition.html

Why children born in winter are most likely to have a summery disposition: Season a baby is born in affects long-term mood, claims study

The scientists claim people born at particular times of the year have a greater chance of developing certain personality traits.

They said this was because the seasons had an affect on certain chemical substances in the brain, such as dopamine and serotonin, which control mood.
    The theory doesn't sound implausible to me. A lot of people who made "your belief in X is like Astrology" type comments, including myself, would end up with egg on their face.

There are other possibilities too. What if whatever virus is causing homosexuality is more active during certain months? You could reduce your chances of having a gay kid with better family planning. Maybe even eliminate the disorder altogether.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Astrology?

Sorry.

I thought you meant proctology.

K54

Comment

It took me far too long to understand the joke, klaus.

Comment

And for that you're now the butt of his jokes.
        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          There are other possibilities too. What if whatever virus is causing homosexuality is more active during certain months? You could reduce your chances of having a gay kid with better family planning. Maybe even eliminate the disorder altogether.
          Is this serious?
          My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
            Is this serious?
            Since it would be a stretch even as a parody, it's probably serious.

Comment

There are other causalities possible. I read somewhere you could make an argument that babies born in one month in Michigan were much more likely to be malnourished (but the real reason was because there are a bunch of Muslims in Dearborn and Detroit, many of whom fast during Ramadan).
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

"virus is causing homosexuality"

Now if we could only eliminate the causes of homophobic bigotry and hatred.

Comment

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
                  Is this serious?
                  http://westhunt.wordpress.com/2012/0...hs-of-madness/

I’ve said it before, but it’s probably time to say it again. The most likely explanation for human homosexuality is that it is caused by some pathogen. It’s too common to be mutational pressure (and we don’t see syndromic versions, as we would in that case), it’s not new, identical twins are usually discordant (~75% of the time), and it’s hell on reproductive fitness. There is no way it is adaptive: the helpful gay uncle notion, group selection, compensating advantage in females, etc: these range from impossible to bloody unlikely. It doesn’t exist in most hunter-gatherers: you have to explain what it is you’re even talking about when you ask them. Presumably with diagrams.

As for Freudian explanations, exotic-becomes-erotic, etc: just reading the social-science literature on the subject is enough to make you wonder if the human brain really does exist to cool the blood.

My model – not the only possible model based on a pathogen, but reasonable – leans on a couple of natural examples. One is narcolepsy. We now know that narcolepsy happens when a particular kind of neuron, concentrated in a little region in the hypothalamus, somehow gets zapped. 99% of narcolepsy cases happen in the 25% of the population that has a particular HLA type – which suggests that something, probably a virus, triggers an overenthusiastic immune response that zaps a neuron subpopulation that produce a particular neurotransmitter (called hypocretin or orexin) that regulates appetite and sleep patterns. And it doesn’t do anything else: narcoleptics aren’t stupid. You can compare narcolepsy to type I diabetes or Parkinson’s disease. Suppose there’s a neuron subpopulation that performs a key function in male sexual desire: wipe out that subpopulation, and Bob’s your uncle.

Another is toxoplasma, which we now know changes mouse behavior in ways that increase a mouse’s chance of being devoured by a cat, the definitive host for toxo. Infected mice are attracted to cat urine, while uninfected mice avoid it. In fact, in infected mice, cat urine apparently triggers activity in neural pathways involved in sexual arousal. Microorganisms can reprogram sexual attraction in mammals.
                  It's not slam-dunk but it's the most credible theory for the existence of the disorder that I've seen so far.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                    "virus is causing homosexuality"

Now if we could only eliminate the causes of homophobic bigotry and hatred.
                    You mean natural selection? That does seem to have been dampened considerably by our abundant modern lifestyle.

Comment

http://westhunt.wordpress.com/2012/0...hs-of-madness/

It's not slam-dunk but it's the most credible theory for the existence of the disorder that I've seen so far.
                      "credible".

Some wingnut on a blog talking out of his nether regions, unsupported by even the tiniest bit of actual scientific research.

"credible".

Comment

In seriousness, such weak correlations have no value in justifying astrology. Astrology has so many holes, it does not make a good sieve. I was born on July 29, and I am an amiable pleasant person from Irish stock who writes poetry. On the other hand I have family members born in the winter that are borderline psychotics, a few cross over the border.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Now, if only we could identify the pathogen that causes left-handedness, so that we could cure this disorder. We know it's not hereditary, we know it shows up around the age of 2 or so, we're pretty sure it's not genetic, we know it's persistent through life (though you can force yourself to use your right hand with some success) -- gee, this is starting to sound awful familiar...

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                            "credible".

Some wingnut on a blog talking out of his nether regions, unsupported by even the tiniest bit of actual scientific research.

"credible".
                            Edited by a Moderator
                            Moderated By: rogue06

This is a lightly moderated site but outright blasphemy isn't going to be tolerated

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by rogue06; 10-22-2014, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Space alien? What? Have you been watching the History Channel again, phank?

Demigod? What? Have you listened at all to what Christians have lived and died for in the past two thousand years?

If you're going to disagree with something, make sure you're not throwing tomatoes at a strawman.

Comment