Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Commercial fusion in 15 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial fusion in 15 years?

I am somewhat skeptical but impressed that a major corporate would dare to announce that it can build a device that demonstrates commercial fusion within 10 years from now.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...-just-sol.aspx
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
    I am somewhat skeptical but impressed that a major corporate would dare to announce that it can build a device that demonstrates commercial fusion within 10 years from now.

I think the timing is more then a bit too optimistic, but yes in 20 to 50 years I think it is possible.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      I think the timing is more then a bit too optimistic, but yes in 20 to 50 years I think it is possible.
      Surely you are guessing, not "thinking." Do you really know Lockheed's accomplishments?
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Roads? Where we are going, we don't NEED roads.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I might still be around in 15 years. I'll keep an eye open.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

my brother works for Lockheed-Martin

Comment

From what I gather, these folk are trying to do it in new and novel ways. That's important.

I hope they succeed.

This is the thing about the US. It still manages to foster this kind of "let's try it, let's get the money to do so." activity. We owe a lot to that "can-do" attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
                From what I gather, these folk are trying to do it in new and novel ways. That's important.

I hope they succeed.

This is the thing about the US. It still manages to foster this kind of "let's try it, let's get the money to do so." activity. We owe a lot to that "can-do" attitude.
                I agree, rwatts.

No Bucks, no Buck Rogers.

K54

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  Roads? Where we are going, we don't NEED roads.
                  Was that meant for another thread? If not, I do not understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    my brother works for Lockheed-Martin
                    Why did you not jump on the OP for presenting an opinion as though I thought that was an expert's? Perhaps a mystery for the ages.

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post

I hope they succeed.

I guess, but I guess scientists doing fusion energy work from outside the USA outnumber American ones.

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                        No Bucks, no Buck Rogers.
                        That was a great movie.

Comment

Surely you are guessing, not "thinking." Do you really know Lockheed's accomplishments?
                          I am aware of Lockhead's accomplishments, which is the reason their time frame is not realistic.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            I am aware of Lockhead's accomplishments, which is the reason their time frame is not realistic.
                            Do you care to explain?

Comment

And I want flatulence to smell like strawberry shortcake.

I'd say a one hundred timeframe is a possibility.

K54

Comment