Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Missing link of abiogenesis revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Yes quite a revelation, maybe.
    Yes, maybe, nothing conclusive. This is simply one research project among many.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      That's okay - it answered my question.

So, can they show that the model used actually (probably) existed?
      The choice of the environment for this research project was a hydrothermal vent environment, which may not have been clear in the paper. This paper is good for proposing what geologic environment would produce the appropriate hydrothermal solution that would fit the cited research. In summary it is naturally hydrogen-rich ultramafic geologic formations that produce the necessary conditions.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23647923

Geobiology. 2013 Jul;11(4):340-55. doi: 10.1111/gbi.12039. Epub 2013 May 6.

Linking geology, fluid chemistry, and microbial activity of basalt- and ultramafic-hosted deep-sea hydrothermal vent environments.

Perner M1, Hansen M, Seifert R, Strauss H, Koschinsky A, Petersen S.

Abstract

Hydrothermal fluids passing through basaltic rocks along mid-ocean ridges are known to be enriched in sulfide, while those circulating through ultramafic mantle rocks are typically elevated in hydrogen. Therefore, it has been estimated that the maximum energy in basalt-hosted systems is available through sulfide oxidation and in ultramafic-hosted systems through hydrogen oxidation. Furthermore, thermodynamic models suggest that the greatest biomass potential arises from sulfide oxidation in basalt-hosted and from hydrogen oxidation in ultramafic-hosted systems. We tested these predictions by measuring biological sulfide and hydrogen removal and subsequent autotrophic CO2 fixation in chemically distinct hydrothermal fluids from basalt-hosted and ultramafic-hosted vents. We found a large potential of microbial hydrogen oxidation in naturally hydrogen-rich (ultramafic-hosted) but also in naturally hydrogen-poor (basalt-hosted) hydrothermal fluids. Moreover, hydrogen oxidation-based primary production proved to be highly attractive under our incubation conditions regardless whether hydrothermal fluids from ultramafic-hosted or basalt-hosted sites were used. Site-specific hydrogen and sulfide availability alone did not appear to determine whether hydrogen or sulfide oxidation provides the energy for primary production by the free-living microbes in the tested hydrothermal fluids. This suggests that more complex features (e.g., a combination of oxygen, temperature, biological interactions) may play a role for determining which energy source is preferably used in chemically distinct hydrothermal vent biotopes.

© Copyright Original Source

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Yes, maybe, nothing conclusive. This is simply one research project among many.
        So it is not a revelation at all, just another possibility.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          So it is not a revelation at all, just another possibility.
          True, that is how science works. Abiogenesis is a particularly young field.

My specialty in a previous life was related to geochemistry and environmental chemistry, so I understand the basics. There are several promising ways the young science is going.

Frank

Comment

True, that is how science works. Abiogenesis is a particularly young field.

My specialty in a previous life was related to geochemistry and environmental chemistry, so I understand the basics. There are several promising ways the young science is going.
            This thread http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...origin-of-life is another interesting approach. Informational theory.

Frank

Comment

I may provide more on this, but at present I consider the chemical scenario a possible one given the conditions of shallow thermal vents associated with mid-ocean spreading zones like those around Iceland. I may cite more on the geochemical properties in the published article and what is known to occur around the Sea vents.
              Okay.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

The choice of the environment for this research project was a hydrothermal vent environment, which may not have been clear in the paper. This paper is good for proposing what geologic environment would produce the appropriate hydrothermal solution that would fit the cited research. In summary it is naturally hydrogen-rich ultramafic geologic formations that produce the necessary conditions.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23647923

Geobiology. 2013 Jul;11(4):340-55. doi: 10.1111/gbi.12039. Epub 2013 May 6.

Linking geology, fluid chemistry, and microbial activity of basalt- and ultramafic-hosted deep-sea hydrothermal vent environments.

Perner M1, Hansen M, Seifert R, Strauss H, Koschinsky A, Petersen S.

Abstract

Hydrothermal fluids passing through basaltic rocks along mid-ocean ridges are known to be enriched in sulfide, while those circulating through ultramafic mantle rocks are typically elevated in hydrogen. Therefore, it has been estimated that the maximum energy in basalt-hosted systems is available through sulfide oxidation and in ultramafic-hosted systems through hydrogen oxidation. Furthermore, thermodynamic models suggest that the greatest biomass potential arises from sulfide oxidation in basalt-hosted and from hydrogen oxidation in ultramafic-hosted systems. We tested these predictions by measuring biological sulfide and hydrogen removal and subsequent autotrophic CO2 fixation in chemically distinct hydrothermal fluids from basalt-hosted and ultramafic-hosted vents. We found a large potential of microbial hydrogen oxidation in naturally hydrogen-rich (ultramafic-hosted) but also in naturally hydrogen-poor (basalt-hosted) hydrothermal fluids. Moreover, hydrogen oxidation-based primary production proved to be highly attractive under our incubation conditions regardless whether hydrothermal fluids from ultramafic-hosted or basalt-hosted sites were used. Site-specific hydrogen and sulfide availability alone did not appear to determine whether hydrogen or sulfide oxidation provides the energy for primary production by the free-living microbes in the tested hydrothermal fluids. This suggests that more complex features (e.g., a combination of oxygen, temperature, biological interactions) may play a role for determining which energy source is preferably used in chemically distinct hydrothermal vent biotopes.

© Copyright Original Source

Thanks. I'll have to come back to this when I have time to read it carefully. 'Preciate the help!
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                  Nothing more than yet another expression of the Materialist's irrational, pseudo-scientific myth that, "all you need is mass and energy and, PRESTO, you get life". What a freaking waste of time, money and resources!

Jorge
                  Dunno Jorge. All you need is a mouth and a rant and you think you have provided an intelligent reply.

Comment