Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Inside a cell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside a cell

Saw this a couple years ago and enjoyed it. Then I could not find it. Here it is for you.

Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

We are surely fearfully and wonderfully made!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      Saw this a couple years ago and enjoyed it. Then I could not find it. Here it is for you.

The statistic I like is this - if you got every human on the planet and removed all the space between the atoms from which they are made, and removed all the space within the atoms, you would have a block roughly the size of a large sugar cube.

We nearly do not exist. It's kind of humbling.

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
        The statistic I like is this - if you got every human on the planet and removed all the space between the atoms from which they are made, and removed all the space within the atoms, you would have a block roughly the size of a large sugar cube.

We nearly do not exist. It's kind of humbling.
        That seems way too big.

First, removing space between atoms.

Human body by elements, by mass, is:
        • 65% Oxygen
        • 18.5% Carbon
        • 9.5% Hydrogen
        • 3.2% Nitrogen
        • 1.5% Calcium
        • 1.0% Phosphorus
        • 0.4% Potassium
        • 0.3% Sulfur
        • 0.2% Sodium
        • 0.2% Chlorine
        • 0.1% Magnesium

Using the atomic weights for each element, and the atomic radius, I get a volume of about 52 cubic centimeters per kilogram for those elements. For a 75kg person, that would be a cube about 16cm along each edge. That's roughly 6 inches for those who don't grok metric.

An atom is nearly all empty space. The nucleus of the atom is the largest part (unless you consider the electrons to be smeared out throughout their orbitals, and it is about 10,000 of the radius of the atom itself.

So you can scale the edge of the cube by 10,000; to give a 75 kg person compressed into a cube about 16 microns along each edge.

Check my figures would you please? :-)

Cheers -- sylas

PS. Just noticed... you are compressing ALL HUMANITY. That's evil. I like it. OK... total mass of humanity is about 287 million tonnes. (Estimated for 2005: ref The weight of nations: an estimation of adult human biomass) Scale up to 300 million for a bit of growth since then, and I get a cube of about 2.5 cm on edge; a sugar cube an inch along each side.

PPS. Interesting side note. From the paper on human biomass:
        North America has 6% of the world population but 34% of biomass due to obesity.
        Something to think about.
        Last edited by sylas; 09-20-2014, 07:39 AM. Reason: postscript

Comment

Originally posted by sylas View Post
          But not for too long.

Roy
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

My all time favorite biology video is this one:

Years of work from multiple labs doing biochemistry, genetics and structural biology were required for us to make that video. At least one Nobel Prize was won along the way. And someone managed to distill it down to a single, mind-blowing minute.

If someone wants to know about more about what they're watching, i'm happy to answer questions - many years ago i majored in biochemistry in college.
            "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Doesn't Aussie-land come in second place in that rating? (per capita of course...)

K54

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                Doesn't Aussie-land come in second place in that rating? (per capita of course...)

K54
                Maybe 3rd after Samoa

Roy
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

... a sugar cube an inch along each side.
                  Well those cubes are for folk who do like sugar in their tea.

Excellent post as always sylas.

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
                    Well those cubes are for folk who do like sugar in their tea.
                    And probably contribute to the obesity too

Roy

Comment

Check my figures would you please? :-)

[...]

I get a cube of about 2.5 cm on edge; a sugar cube an inch along each side.
                      At 300,000,000 tonnes for the sugar lump, and about 5 cm separation as you take a sip, I get about 800 g's acceleration on your lips, and 30 g's on the back of your head.

Not quite sure what that kind of tidal force would do to your head, but I'm quite sure that's one killer cup of tea.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                        At 300,000,000 tonnes for the sugar lump, and about 5 cm separation as you take a sip, I get about 800 g's acceleration on your lips, and 30 g's on the back of your head.

Not quite sure what that kind of tidal force would do to your head, but I'm quite sure that's one killer cup of tea.
                        They do say that too much sugar is bad for one's health.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post

Neat video, but it didn't look anything like the inside of the cell Sparko was in when CP and I bailed him out.
                          Last edited by rogue06; 09-20-2014, 09:31 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment