Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Vertical gardening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertical gardening

How is Garden Fresh Farms able to grow on one acre of land enough plants to fill a 100-acre conventional farm, plus raise fish? And there are advantages. Protection from bad weather. Shorter shipping distances (saving fuel and fresher food). Also, more people can grow more of their own food.

Posts that explain or describe techniques would be welcome.
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
    How is Garden Fresh Farms able to grow on one acre of land enough plants to fill a 100-acre conventional farm, plus raise fish? And there are advantages. Protection from bad weather. Shorter shipping distances (saving fuel and fresher food). Also, more people can grow more of their own food.

Obviously they use GMO techniques to combine plants and fish into one super creature.

Comment

I suspect the Trilateral Commission, the Rockerfeller Family, and the Bilderbergers are behind this.

K54

Comment

What are you referring to?
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

This is another place where a link to the source of your information would be welcome.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

these kinda things: http://www.countryliving.com/outdoor...garden#slide-1
            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Soylent Green
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I am familiar with the techniques in general. There are a few farms in my region that use similar techniques, but not as intensely as this farm. Example: Hydroponics is used for some crops and that water is used for raising fish in circulating tanks. Everything is recycled and reused in this system. An effort is made to conserve the use of all water and nutrients through reuse and recycling.
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

(localharvest.org has been scanned safe by my "safe-web" searcher)

Here's what localharvest.org has on Garden Fresh Farms http://www.localharvest.org/garden-fresh-farms-M51743
                  The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    I am familiar with the techniques in general. There are a few farms in my region that use similar techniques, but not as intensely as this farm. Example: Hydroponics is used for some crops and that water is used for raising fish in circulating tanks. Everything is recycled and reused in this system. An effort is made to conserve the use of all water and nutrients through reuse and recycling.
                    Something on Soy Green would be appreciated.

Comment

Something on Soy Green would be appreciated.
                      You mean Soylent Green, that Shunya mentioned?

soylent green is people.
                      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post

soylent green is people.
                        Yes, I was jesting. I noticed that the name starts with "soy."

Comment

Interesting ... looking into it ... thanks.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post

soylent green is people.
                            It was intended as 'tongue in cheek' humor. It is from the seventies future fiction movie.

None the less, this management system does work, but requires intensive management, and infrastructure costs are high, and disease problems need careful management. There are ways to incorporate some aspects of this system into less costly gardening systems, like vertical wall gardens with drip irrigation on wire fence with inexpensive hoop house designs.

Frank

Comment

I sent them the following email .......... let's see what comes back ........

Hello Peter Kordell,

My name is Jorge ... I have long been interested in this technology.

... When I last did a thorough analysis of hydroponics and aquaponics (roughly ten (10) years ago), my bottom line indicated that unless it was conducted in a sufficiently big operation (in other words, not just produce for a few houses or even a few dozen houses) it would not be economically feasible, that is, the cost of the product was prohibitively high.

Technology changes and things improve. Is my conclusion from a decade ago no longer valid?

Please send me some information to allow me to make an updated determination on this.

Thank you and continued success.

Jorge

Comment