Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Good news for tinfoil hat wearers from research into bird navigation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news for tinfoil hat wearers from research into bird navigation!

I've been accused of wearing a tinfoil hat. You can imagine how happy I was to see this research being done by Henrik Mouritsen on birds' navigational abilities. He wanted to know why birds navigated so poorly in urban areas while they could do well in rural areas. One day he covered the cages in which he kept his research birds with aluminum foil. Suddenly they could navigate. Conclusion: wearing tinfoil hats might be beneficial. Well, aluminum foil, anyway.
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Linky?

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
      Linky?
      Do you know how to google?
      Anyway, here's a link http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...nce-broadband/
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
        Linky?
        Here, I think:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...nce-broadband/

Comment

Are you finally giving in to your urge to wear a tinfoil hat?

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
            Do you know how to google?
            Anyway, here's a link http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...nce-broadband/
            Do you know the courtesy of including a link in your post when you discuss something newly published?

K54

Comment

I was under the impression that the phenomenon of bird migration via Earth's magnetic field was well known. The aluminum cages damp out proximal fields from electronics and wiring so the birds can then avail themselves of Earth's main dipole field.

But I suppose that TS was attempting a funny.

K54

Comment

Thank you Truthseeker for supplying that link, its really not that much more effort to give it and saves a lot of time.

And kodus to National Geographic for actually linking to the original Nature article, all of this is based upon.

The article itself was an interesting read with the usual cheesy "Scientists, Baffled" headlines. It draws a parallel to cell phones which is specious, as multiple independent studies and large reviews have cleared cellphones of any danger to humans. It does point out an odd thing which was that in the past the birds had also been able to orient themselves, yet back then there was also a background of noise.

For that reason, and the fact that noise level is a hundred thousand times lower than the WHO guidelines, I'm dubious that this result will stand up to scrutiny. There might have been something the researchers didn't control for.

Until I get access to the articles I won't be able to tell if the experiment they performed with the students was properly double blinded. I'll need to get to campus to do that, but at the moment I'm staying elsewhere for a while. I'll let you know what I find.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                  I've been accused of wearing a tinfoil hat. You can imagine how happy I was to see this research being done by Henrik Mouritsen on birds' navigational abilities. He wanted to know why birds navigated so poorly in urban areas while they could do well in rural areas. One day he covered the cages in which he kept his research birds with aluminum foil. Suddenly they could navigate. Conclusion: wearing tinfoil hats might be beneficial. Well, aluminum foil, anyway.
                  So.... you are admitting to being a tinfoil hat wearing bird-brain?

Comment

The article isn't exactly about the magical properties of aluminium foil, it postulates that wrapping the bird cages in grounded faraday cages caused a change in the birds ability to navigate, presumably by shielding out electromagnetic fields in the 50kHz to 5MHz.

If Truthseeker was to apply this to his own life he would have to live in a bubble of tinfoil.

Comment

However, you guys just managed to prove that science geeks have no sense of humor...

You need a link to something that was obviously just mentioned to be humorous? Really?
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        The article isn't exactly about the magical properties of aluminium foil, it postulates that wrapping the bird cages in grounded faraday cages caused a change in the birds ability to navigate, presumably by shielding out electromagnetic fields in the 50kHz to 5MHz.

If Truthseeker was to apply this to his own life he would have to live in a bubble of tinfoil.
                        I am sure his basement room is wallpapered in the stuff.

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            I am sure his basement room is wallpapered in the stuff.

That's your kitchen, Sparky...
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              However, you guys just managed to prove that science geeks have no sense of humor...

You need a link to something that was obviously just mentioned to be humorous? Really?
                              In retrospect, I agree I should have provided a link.

Comment