Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Another prediction fulfilled!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another prediction fulfilled!

    It's so much fun being proven right - again!

    During an exchange that I was having with an Atheist just over two decades ago, I made a (not-so-bold) prediction having to do with "degenerate" codons. Basing myself solely on what I knew of Information Theory combined with my Biblical Christian belief that 'God always has a purpose', I predicted that (paraphrasing), "one day we will discover that there is an important purpose for multiple codons specifying the same amino acid". [By the way, during that time I had made another prediction regarding "junk" DNA (then highly exciting "evidence" for Evolutionists) based on the same two reasons that I gave above - but that's another topic].

    Well, the 'prediction fulfilled' day has formally arrived.

    Here's the article reporting it: http://www.evolutionnews.org/2014/08...fun089301.html

    Here's the paper on which the article is based: Front. Genet., 20 May 2014 | doi: 10.3389/fgene.2014.00140

    Redundancy of the genetic code enables translational pausing

    David J. D'Onofrio1,2* and David L. Abel3

    1Control Systems Modeling and Simulation, General Dynamics, Sterling Heights, MI, USA
    2Department of Humanities and Science, Math Department, College of Humanities and Science, University of Phoenix, Detroit, MI, USA
    3Department of ProtoBioCybernetics/ProtoBioSemiotics, The Gene Emergence Project of The Origin of Life Science Foundation, Inc., Greenbelt, MD, USA


    This is also related to a paper* that I co-authored in the 2011 Symposium "Biological Information: New Perspectives" - that too would be another topic.

    *Multiple Overlapping Genetic Codes Profoundly Reduce the Probability of Beneficial Mutations, Montanez, Marks, Fernandez and Sanford, 2011.


    The upshot of D'Onofrio's and Abel's paper is that, "Redundancy of the codon to amino acid mapping, therefore, is anything but superfluous or degenerate." In simple language and using an example, while GGU, GGC, GGA, and GGG all encode the amino acid glycine, we now know that each particular codon for glycine is critical in determining translation rates, protein folding and ultimate function.

    Just as predicted - each codon version does have important function.

    We live in exciting times. In light of an avalanche of scientific discoveries, retaining the Materialistic Evolutionary Paradigm is becoming harder with each passing day. Of course, as I know all too well, no amount of evidence will ever sway the Materialistic Evo-Faithful. Hey, after all, it's what they believe and live by! They'll go down with the ship before conceding a single point - the Holy Foot must not ever be allowed in the door. As for the Theistic Evolutionists, they have bigger, more serious problems than the Atheists.

    Jorge

  • #2
    Thanks for yet another example of you not understanding, or intentionally obfuscating, how real science works.

    Consilient and heuristic -- your two vocabulary words d'jour.

    K54

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
      Thanks for yet another example of you not understanding, or intentionally obfuscating, how real science works.

      Consilient and heuristic -- your two vocabulary words d'jour.

      K54
      If such rabidly-fanatical nonsense is going to be the extent of your "contribution"
      here then do us all a favor and just continue watching the I Love Lucy re-runs.

      Jorge

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jorge View Post
        David J. D'Onofrio1,2* and David L. Abel3

        1 Control Systems Modeling and Simulation, General Dynamics, Sterling Heights, MI, USA
        2 Department of Humanities and Science, Math Department, College of Humanities and Science, University of Phoenix, Detroit, MI, USA
        3 Department of ProtoBioCybernetics/ProtoBioSemiotics, The Gene Emergence Project of The Origin of Life Science Foundation, Inc., Greenbelt, MD, USA
        There's no such thing. The "Origin of Life Science Foundation" is a one-man operation run from some-one's garage. The Gene Emergence Project is a convenient fiction. Nor does the foundation have any subsidiary departments, unless David Abel has acquired an aquarium.

        I'm not saying that the contents of the paper are necessarily wrong, it's just that when the author so freely falsifies his credentials his credibility nose-dives and any trust in his work evaporates. There are far too many papers produced by genuine organisations to waste time on stuff like this.

        Roy
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

        mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

        Mountain Man: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        Mountain Man: this is how liberals argue these days, with labels instead of ideas.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jorge View Post
          If such rabidly-fanatical nonsense is going to be the extent of your "contribution"
          here then do us all a favor and just continue watching the I Love Lucy re-runs.

          Jorge
          To the lurkers -- This diatribe was in response to Jorge's glee in pointing out that a trademark of real science it that it is constantly increasing its database, revising hypotheses as new evidence is manifest, and is not an ossified non-explanation like his version of Biblical Creation "Science".

          K54

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Roy View Post
            There's no such thing. The "Origin of Life Science Foundation" is a one-man operation run from some-one's garage. The Gene Emergence Project is a convenient fiction. Nor does the foundation have any subsidiary departments, unless David Abel has acquired an aquarium.

            I'm not saying that the contents of the paper are necessarily wrong, it's just that when the author so freely falsifies his credentials his credibility nose-dives and any trust in his work evaporates. There are far too many papers produced by genuine organisations to waste time on stuff like this.

            Roy
            Good catch!

            But it doesn't matter to a propagandist like JF, since the end justifies the means.

            K54

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Roy View Post
              There's no such thing. The "Origin of Life Science Foundation" is a one-man operation run from some-one's garage. The Gene Emergence Project is a convenient fiction. Nor does the foundation have any subsidiary departments, unless David Abel has acquired an aquarium.

              I'm not saying that the contents of the paper are necessarily wrong, it's just that when the author so freely falsifies his credentials his credibility nose-dives and any trust in his work evaporates. There are far too many papers produced by genuine organisations to waste time on stuff like this.

              Roy
              Ad hominem to the rescue ...... chaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggggeeeee!!!!


              Or in more common parlance, "When ya can't refute the logic or science, fling mud at the man."

              That is the #1 strategy employed by the Evo-Faithful. Then they go
              and have a restful night's sleep with nary a tug from their conscience.
              How do they do it? Only their hairdresser knows for sure.

              By the way, great "contribution" to the thread, Roy.

              NOT !!!


              Jorge
              Last edited by Jorge; 08-29-2014, 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                To the lurkers -- This diatribe was in response to Jorge's glee in pointing out that a trademark of real science it that it is constantly increasing its database, revising hypotheses as new evidence is manifest, and is not an ossified non-explanation like his version of Biblical Creation "Science".

                K54
                You're a low-IQ buffoon, Santa Klaus. What's worse, you're a very dangerous kind of low-IQ buffoon - the kind that believes he actually knows something and frantically works overtime to infect others with those beliefs. I ask again, stay away ... just watch your favorite re-runs or something.

                Jorge

                Comment


                • #9
                  .
                  .
                  Over six (6) hours and not a single worthwhile post.

                  Why am I not surprised?

                  Then - hear this - later they will say: "Jorge never talks science."
                  You can't make this stuff up.

                  Jorge

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                    Ad hominem to the rescue ...... chaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggggeeeee!!!!


                    Or in more common parlance, "When ya can't refute the logic or science, fling mud at the man."

                    That is the #1 strategy employed by the Evo-Faithful. Then they go
                    and have a restful night's sleep with nary a tug from their conscience.
                    How do they do it? Only their hairdresser knows for sure.

                    By the way, great "contribution" to the thread, Roy.

                    NOT !!!


                    Jorge
                    Actually, it's credentialism. You can't even get your fallacies right. And this is one with which you are VERY familiar.

                    K54

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                      You're a low-IQ buffoon, Santa Klaus. What's worse, you're a very dangerous kind of low-IQ buffoon - the kind that believes he actually knows something and frantically works overtime to infect others with those beliefs. I ask again, stay away ... just watch your favorite re-runs or something.

                      Jorge
                      So by your bloviating non-answer you tacitly admit that either you are

                      1) ignorant of what science is and how it works...

                      OR

                      2) a despicable person who will do ANYTHING, even outright lying, in a frantic attempt to keep your pitiable followers in your thrall.

                      K54

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                        I'm not saying that the contents of the paper are necessarily wrong, ...
                        Ad hominem to the rescue ...... [B]chaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggggeeeee!!!!
                        Moron.

                        That's a merited insult, btw, and not an ad hominem either.

                        Roy
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

                        mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

                        Mountain Man: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        Mountain Man: this is how liberals argue these days, with labels instead of ideas.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                          Actually, it's credentialism. You can't even get your fallacies right. And this is one with which you are VERY familiar.

                          K54
                          Not quite - I'm not suggesting that David Abel is wrong because he hasn't got appropriate credentials, rather that if he falsifies his credentials he might falsify his research too. If I'd said he was wrong, it might have been somewhere between the Genetic fallacy and Poisoning the well, but I didn't say he was wrong - only that he wasn't worth spending time on.

                          Roy
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

                          mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

                          Mountain Man: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          Mountain Man: this is how liberals argue these days, with labels instead of ideas.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            Not quite - I'm not suggesting that David Abel is wrong because he hasn't got appropriate credentials, rather that if he falsifies his credentials he might falsify his research too. If I'd said he was wrong, it might have been somewhere between the Genetic fallacy and Poisoning the well, but I didn't say he was wrong - only that he wasn't worth spending time on.

                            Roy
                            Gotcha.

                            Jorge is an expert at using logical fallacies as part of his water pistol collection that passes for an arsenal. So, it's surprising he messed up on the identification.

                            And, the notion of falsifying credentials is right up his alley, or so I've heard.

                            K54

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                              Jorge is an expert at using logical fallacies as part of his water pistol collection that passes for an arsenal.
                              Yup. This time it's the fallacy of false authority.

                              Anyone for bingo?

                              Roy
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

                              mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

                              Mountain Man: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              Mountain Man: this is how liberals argue these days, with labels instead of ideas.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Juvenal, 11-30-2020, 04:47 PM
                              2 responses
                              28 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Seeker
                              by Seeker
                               
                              Started by rogue06, 11-28-2020, 12:54 PM
                              4 responses
                              37 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by shunyadragon, 11-26-2020, 09:46 PM
                              0 responses
                              12 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by lee_merrill, 11-23-2020, 10:25 PM
                              5 responses
                              50 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Seeker
                              by Seeker
                               
                              Started by rogue06, 11-22-2020, 08:25 AM
                              5 responses
                              74 views
                              3 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Working...
                              X