Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Not A Hobbit After All?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not A Hobbit After All?

I found this quote from Dr. Robert B. Eckhardt interesting:

"My estimate is that 80 percent or so of paleoanthropologists want this new species to be real—so much so that they are willing to overlook glaring errors and inconsistencies in the studies and conclusions of the archaeologists who found the bones. This is not surprising, since LB1 was proclaimed to be our generation's critical test case of paleoanthropological theory. By disproving the validity of this new species, we have called a central dogma into question."
    http://news.psu.edu/story/141620/200...bbit-continues
    Last edited by seer; 08-05-2014, 05:02 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I'm shire they'll figure it out eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
      I'm shire they'll figure it out eventually.
      Nah they will keep dragon it out.

Comment

Bad puns guys!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Bad puns guys!
          Manwe, I think Seer is being a little short with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Manwe, I think Seer is being a little short with us.
            Your belittling of this discovery is the height of arrogance.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Science just keeps sauron to new heights of discovery.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

You guys need to take this act on the road! ; )

Comment

The discovery of this ancient hobbit skull can't be stopped. It will continue to gain momentum no matter what anyone tries.

It is very hard to brake an old hobbit.

Comment

I can't wait until science proves the story of Noah's Arkenstone.

Comment

I found this quote from Dr. Robert B. Eckhardt interesting:

http://news.psu.edu/story/141620/200...bbit-continues
                      From which of Noah's sons do you conjecture Flores Man to be descended?

K54

Comment

What "dogma" do you think he is referring to?

There's one comment in that article that strikes me as untrue:
                        According to Eckhardt and his colleagues, the 14,200-square-kilometer island would not have offered food resources sufficient "for sustaining in isolation an adequate effective population" of hominids that would have provided enough genetic diversity to allow for survival and adaptation over hundreds of thousands of years.
                        An adequate effective population for survival of a species is usually given as being about 1,000, with a total population of 2-3,000.

Given that the Easter Islanders - who were much bigger than the Flores Islanders - survived for centuries with a population of that size on an island of only 160 km2 - about 1% of the size of Flores - I see no reason why an effective population could not have survived on Flores. Other examples of populations surviving for hundreds or thousands of years in similarly-sized islands include the Hawaiians, the Faroe Islanders and the Andaman Islanders.

Given that the population density of hunter-gatherer societies has been estimated at about 0.5 per km2, Flores could have supported a population of more than 5,000 even without agriculture - which is plenty big enough to maintain an isolated subspecies.

Roy

P.S. I look forward to seeing Moria puns.
                        Last edited by Roy; 08-05-2014, 04:37 PM.
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                          What "dogma" do you think he is referring to?

There's one comment in that article that strikes me as untrue:An adequate effective population for survival of a species is usually given as being about 1,000, with a total population of 2-3,000.

Given that the Easter Islanders - who were much bigger than the Flores Islanders - survived for centuries with a population of that size on an island of only 160 km2 - about 1% of the size of Flores - I see no reason why an effective population could not have survived on Flores. Other examples of populations surviving for hundreds or thousands of years in similarly-sized islands include the Hawaiians, the Faroe Islanders and the Andaman Islanders.

Given that the population density of hunter-gatherer societies has been estimated at about 0.5 per km2, Flores could have supported a population of more than 5,000 even without agriculture - which is plenty big enough to maintain an isolated subspecies.

Roy

P.S. I look forward to seeing Moria puns.
                          So you know more about this subject than Eckhardt?

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                            From which of Noah's sons do you conjecture Flores Man to be descended?

K54
                            Not the point of the thread.

This was:

"My estimate is that 80 percent or so of paleoanthropologists want this new species to be real—so much so that they are willing to overlook glaring errors and inconsistencies in the studies and conclusions of the archaeologists who found the bones. This is not surprising, since LB1 was proclaimed to be our generation's critical test case of paleoanthropological theory. By disproving the validity of this new species, we have called a central dogma into question."
                            So some scientists are will to over look the facts to support their dogma.

Comment

So you know more about this subject than Eckhardt?
                              Apparently.

Roy
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment