Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ice core samples and Creationist lies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice core samples and Creationist lies

The board's blustering blunderer recently tried to argue by weblink and provided several YEC sources supposedly "refuting" the dates from counting annual ice layers in core samples. Here is one of them

Do Ice Cores Disprove Recent Creation?

The particular sample they are arguing against is from the The Greenland Ice Sheet Project 2 (GISP2) core samples taken in 1997.

Here are the actual GISP2 results
    The Greenland Ice Sheet Project 2 depth‐age scale: Methods and results
    Meese et al
    Journal of Geophysical Research. 102 (C12): 26411–26423 Nov 1997

Abstract: The Greenland Ice Sheet Project 2 (GISP2) depth-age scale is presented based on a multiparameter continuous count approach, to a depth of 2800 m, using a systematic combination of parameters that have never been used to this extent before. The ice at 2800 m is dated at 110,000 years B.P. with an estimated error ranging from 1 to 10% in the top 2500 m of the core and averaging 20% between 2500 and 2800 m. Parameters used to date the core include visual stratigraphy, oxygen isotopic ratios of the ice, electrical conductivity measurements, laser-light scattering from dust, volcanic signals, and major ion chemistry. GISP2 ages for major climatic events agree with independent ages based on varve chronologies, calibrated radiocarbon dates, and other techniques within the combined uncertainties. Good agreement also is obtained with Greenland Ice Core Project ice core dates and with the SPECMAP marine timescale after correlation through the δ18O of O2. Although the core is deformed below 2800 m and the continuity of the record is unclear, we attempted to date this section of the core on the basis of the laser-light scattering of dust in the ice
    Notice that each annual layer is determined by at least three and more where applicable of six independent methods.

What do the liars at ICR have to say? First they start bellyaching about indistinct signal the very bottom of the core at 2800m and completely ignore the data with <2% error above 39,850 YPB.

Second they start bellyaching that each annual layer could really be dozens of layer produced by multiple dust storms. This completely ignores that the layer were cross correlated with known volcanic eruptions (besides the other 5 counting methods) providing independent confirmation that the layers are indeed annual.

There you have YEC "science" at its finest. Ignore the actual data, make up lies about the rest, PRAISE JESUS! the world must be really young.

For a great laugh I highly recommend you read the actual GISP2 paper then look at the spin the YECs tried to put on it.
    Last edited by HMS_Beagle; 07-06-2014, 11:52 AM.

One of the most frequently encountered YEC criticisms of ice core evidence centers around the so-called "Lost Squadron" from WWII up in Greenland. Typically, they leave out a whole slew of awkward details along the way.

First, that they got buried in this manner is hardly surprising. If you park some planes on an active glacier in an area that averages over 6’ of snow per year in Greenland and wait a few decades and nobody should be shocked that they got buried like that[1]

Not only were they buried but the planes have actually moved roughly 2km (1 mile) since landing as well. This is a major reason nobody does ice core dating on a glacier.

What seems to get missed is it matters not how deep they got but under how many annual layers. And depth doesn’t determine how many layers there are (although due to compression the lower, oldest layers are far thinner than the upper ones). And it’s layers that determine the age.

And IIRC there were, for instance, over 40 different tests with corroborating results were used to determine the age of GISP2 core in Greenland. And the cores taken from Greenland and also Antarctic are taken from the interior where there is far less precipitation than near the coast (where the planes were).

The interior of Greenland and especially Antarctica receive virtually no snowfall. Enormous regions of Antarctica are some of the most arid regions of the planet with just 2” of precipitation a year. Like the center of most continents, there are few if any moisture sources for much precipitation.

But getting back to the planes, one other thing to keep in mind is that the planes would have settled into the snow or ice simply through heat transmission. You can see this effect for yourself by simply putting an object on top of a block of ice and leaving alone for a while. The object will melt the surrounding ice and begin settling into the ice.

1. If it took 48 years to get buried 268’ then that ends up 5.583’ per year.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If you ignore the ice age, it's 6 feet per year. There is no way to peel layers of ice. And the layers can be faked. You have to measure and assume a mostly unvariable rate.
      Last edited by Omniskeptical; 07-06-2014, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
        The board's blustering blunderer
        Is this the "fresh start"?

I changed my handle when the new board opened to have a fresh start and avoid the rancor that had built up over the years on the old one.
        Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-06-2014, 04:59 PM.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          It was a null hypothesis, but one which was quickly falsified by testing using Jorge-data with a vanishing p-value.

K54

Comment

Remember this exchange three weeks ago?

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Originally posted by HMS_Beagle
            I'll be happy to turn flame knob way down if you guys start deleting all the content free drive-by insults from a certain TWebber. It would be great if this was just a science forum again.

Deal?
            Report him if you see it. Rogue and I will be glad to deal with it.
            I kept my part of the bargain until I saw zero response from your side. What did you guys do for your part?

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
              It was a null hypothesis, but one which was quickly falsified by testing using Jorge-data with a vanishing p-value.

K54
              I'm still marveling at the jargon.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Remember this exchange three weeks ago?

I kept my part of the bargain until I saw zero response from your side. What did you guys do for your part?
                MY side?

Comment

MY side?
                  Aren't you part of the mod team?

Comment

Aren't you part of the mod team?
                    Just recently, but I wasn't commenting as a mod. It was our previous interaction. But mods are volunteers, and not always "present"... sometimes it takes a while to consult with each other and come up with a response.

And, actually, when I responded to you, I forgot I was a mod again.

Comment

Just recently, but I wasn't commenting as a mod. It was our previous interaction. But mods are volunteers, and not always "present"... sometimes it takes a while to consult with each other and come up with a response.

And, actually, when I responded to you, I forgot I was a mod again.
                      OK, no worries.

I'd still love for this to be an insult free actual science forum. I'm willing to try again but it can't be just me making the effort. We both know there's one individual whose behavior is the catalyst for 99% of the poo that gets flung around here and his initials are JF.

Comment

OK, no worries.

I'd still love for this to be an insult free actual science forum. I'm willing to try again but it can't be just me making the effort.
                        SURE it can. It's a choice.

We both know there's one individual whose behavior is the catalyst for 99% of the poo that gets flung around here and his initials are JF.
                        So don't play!

Comment

SURE it can. It's a choice.

So don't play!
                          Doesn't work to suggest me or Klaus or LPOT to stop when even if we do we still get daily drive-by one liner insults from you know who. Cease fires only work if both sides cease.

Comment

Doesn't work to suggest me or Klaus or LPOT to stop when even if we do we still get daily drive-by one liner insults from you know who. Cease fires only work if both sides cease.
                            I hereby cease.

Comment

I'm still marveling at the jargon.
                              Standard jargon. I teach Sadistics, err... Statistics.

K54

Comment