Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Excellent read on the state of confusion regarding solar system formation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent read on the state of confusion regarding solar system formation.

Astronomy: Planets in chaos

It begins thus:-

Not so long ago — as recently as the mid-1990s, in fact — there was a theory so beautiful that astronomers thought it simply had to be true.

They gave it a rather pedestrian name: the core-accretion theory. But its beauty lay in how it used just a few basic principles of physics and chemistry to account for every major feature of our Solar System. It explained why all the planets orbit the Sun in the same direction; why their orbits are almost perfectly circular and lie in or near the plane of the star's equator; why the four inner planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars) are comparatively small, dense bodies made mostly of rock and iron; and why the four outer planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune) are enormous, gaseous globes made mostly of hydrogen and helium. And because the same principles of physics and astronomy must apply throughout the Universe, it predicted that any system of 'exoplanets' around another star would look pretty much the same.

But in the mid-1990s, ...
    Last edited by rwatts; 07-03-2014, 04:19 PM.

pearls.jpg

Roy
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

And we thought we had a good handle on that. Rats!
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

"Man's fallible word, God's INFALLIBLE Word?"

Simple.

K54

Comment

I think another interesting question to ask is why our solar system looks so much different than these other ones do.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            And we thought we had a good handle on that. Rats!
            I know.

To an extent though, parts of the old theory will remain - gravitational accretion, accretion disks etc. It's not as if nothing has been learned.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              I think another interesting question to ask is why our solar system looks so much different than these other ones do.
              Yes.

However, I don't think they really know just how rare our kind of solar system is yet. I don't think they quite have the technology to address this question.

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
                Yes.

However, I don't think they really know just how rare our kind of solar system is yet. I don't think they quite have the technology to address this question.
                One problem is that the types of planet we can most easily find are those that differ from the ones we are familiar with.

Roy
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  One problem is that the types of planet we can most easily find are those that differ from the ones we are familiar with.

Roy
                  Yep. That confuses me a bit. Almost every method we have, including Kepler, favors relatively large and/or close objects with shorter orbital periods. So, while it is very clear the dynamics of planetary formation are a good bit more complex than the model discussed, we really don't know enough to define true percentages as is implied.

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment