Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why didn't Elohim create FRESH granite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• klaus54
    replied
    Originally posted by Omniskeptical View Post
    But using Geiger counter results, I was able to determine magma is much older, and maybe infinitely older. Are you sure heat doesn't impede NMR?
    "Nuclear" Magnetic Resonance does NOT affect radioactive decay.

Please do not post again in this thread.

Thank you!

K54

P.S. If a mod is reading this, could you enforce this request? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Omniskeptical
    replied
    Originally posted by JonF View Post
    Last reply. None of those processes affect radioactive decay.
    But using Geiger counter results, I was able to determine magma is much older, and maybe infinitely older. Are you sure heat doesn't impede NMR?

Leave a comment:

• JonF
    replied
    Everything has radiation aplenty, Jon. But magma doesn't seem to have much nuclear magnetic resonance. Heat impedes magnetism.
    Last reply. None of those processes affect radioactive decay.

Leave a comment:

• Omniskeptical
    replied
    I'm not going down one of your endless roads, but magma has radiation aplenty. Magma is far too cool to have any effect on radioactive decay.
    Everything has radiation aplenty, Jon. But magma doesn't seem to have much nuclear magnetic resonance. Heat impedes magnetism.

Leave a comment:

• JonF
    replied
    Is magma infinitely old? It doesn't have radioactivity.
    I'm not going down one of your endless roads, but magma has radiation aplenty. Magma is far too cool to have any effect on radioactive decay.

Leave a comment:

• Omniskeptical
    replied
    Any instrument has measurement error. We take that into account when measuring half-lives and reporting uncertainty in ages.
    Is magma infinitely old? It doesn't have radioactivity.

Leave a comment:

• JonF
    replied
    Any instrument has measurement error. We take that into account when measuring half-lives and reporting uncertainty in ages.

Leave a comment:

• Omniskeptical
    replied
    Originally posted by Poor Debater View Post
    Well obviously, God was trying to fool us into believing the Earth is older than it really is. And since God is perfect, the illusion is perfect too. And always will be.

Yes, Geiger counters get perfect results.

Leave a comment:

• klaus54
    replied
    Originally posted by Poor Debater View Post
    Well obviously, God was trying to fool us into believing the Earth is older than it really is. And since God is perfect, the illusion is perfect too. And always will be.

But it's not only AGE, but HISTORY as well. That's even more difficult for YECs to explain. And so far in this thread, none have tried.

K54

Leave a comment:

• Poor Debater
    replied
    Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
    In the YEC model of 24-hour days in Creation Week, dry land was created on the Third Day. Presumably this would include igneous rock such as granite. Granite is found in different locations with differing radiometric ages and in various intrusive environments as evidenced by, e.g., contact metamorphism of country rock. (Contact metamorphism also indicates multiple episodes of rock formation.)

The philosophical/theological question for you YECs is why would Elohim not create "fresh" granite, i.e, igneous formations with the radiometric clocks "zeroed out"?

Leave a comment:

• klaus54
    replied
    Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
    This question is easy to answer -- God used expired ingredients.
    Possibly.

What a cheapskate that Elohim is! Didn't He know Earth was extra extra special? And I thought the original Creation was "perfect" according to the YECs, even though the Hebrew word for that is not used in the narrative.

Or perhaps old granite is analogous to a finely-aged Cheddar?

K54

Leave a comment:

• Duragizer
    replied
    This question is easy to answer -- God used expired ingredients.

Leave a comment:

• klaus54
    replied
    Originally posted by rwatts View Post
    In fact, how does one distinguish rock or dust left over from the creation event from that which formed naturally since then?

How does one distinguish rain that fell because God said "Be thou on earth", from rain that fell simply because forces holding the drops aloft were overwhelmed by the force due to gravity?

These kind of questions have an oddball effect on our super-hero Jorge. They make him either ignore me or suggest that I don't understand his brilliant arguments or suggest that I've been into the vodka again.
    Good points.

But the intrusive igneous rock question bears directly on the issue of YE vs. Deep Time and Deep History.

It's an issue that in and of itself destroys a YE paradigm, modulo of course some form of Omphalos ("Adam's Bellybutton" or "Grown Creation").

The crickets are deafening.

K54

Leave a comment:

• rwatts
    replied
    Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
    In the YEC model of 24-hour days in Creation Week, dry land was created on the Third Day. Presumably this would include igneous rock such as granite. Granite is found in different locations with differing radiometric ages and in various intrusive environments as evidenced by, e.g., contact metamorphism of country rock. (Contact metamorphism also indicates multiple episodes of rock formation.)

The philosophical/theological question for you YECs is why would Elohim not create "fresh" granite, i.e, igneous formations with the radiometric clocks "zeroed out"?

Here's a webpage that gives a simple treatment of this topic from the hypothetical situation where a teacher would be required to teach YEC.

http://www.csun.edu/~vcgeo005/miracle.htm
    In fact, how does one distinguish rock or dust left over from the creation event from that which formed naturally since then?

How does one distinguish rain that fell because God said "Be thou on earth", from rain that fell simply because forces holding the drops aloft were overwhelmed by the force due to gravity?

These kind of questions have an oddball effect on our super-hero Jorge. They make him either ignore me or suggest that I don't understand his brilliant arguments or suggest that I've been into the vodka again.

Leave a comment:

• klaus54
    replied
    Jorge said he would read the OP and participate.

Where be he?

If God did create granite in one day or over a few hundred years <=6,018 years ago, why didn't HE zero out the radiometric clocks but instead set isotope ratios giving ages varying over hundreds of millions of years?

And those granite intrusions seem to have occurred in numerous episodes.

And the age and history correlate with the erosional conditions of the provenances of the igneous formations.

This is an insurmountable problem for YEC, modulo a God who deceives.

Why the silence?

K54

Leave a comment: