Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

NASA Data Shows Something Leaking Out of Uranus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA Data Shows Something Leaking Out of Uranus

Sorry I couldn't pass up that headline.

---------------------------

NASA Data Shows Something Leaking Out of Uranus

NASA scientists digging back through decades-old data from the Voyager 2 spacecraft have made an eyebrow-raising discovery: Something appeared to have been sucking Uranus’ atmosphere out into space.

When Voyager 2 flew past Uranus in 1986, it seems to have passed through something called a plasmoid — a gigantic blob of plasma, essentially — that escaped Uranus and likely pulled a giant gassy cloud of the planet’s fart-like atmosphere along with it, Space.com reports.
    Cosmic Wind

Based on the data Voyager 2 collected as it flew through the planetary flatulence, NASA thinks that the plasmoid itself was about 127,000 miles long and twice as wide, according to Space.com. And while the data, first published in August in the journal Geophysical Research Letters, can give NASA a better understanding of Uranus’ atmosphere, one gas bubble won’t tell them everything.

“Imagine if one spacecraft just flew through this room and tried to characterize the entire Earth,” NASA researcher Gina DiBraccio said in a new press release. “Obviously it’s not going to show you anything about what the Sahara or Antarctica is like.”
    Second Whiff

NASA speculates that a similar gas-expelling phenomenon could explain how Mars came to be so barren and dry, but that can’t be known for sure. To learn more, Space.com reports, NASA would unfortunately need to send another spacecraft all the way out to Uranus and probe around.

“It’s why I love planetary science,” DiBraccio said. “You’re always going somewhere you don’t really know.”
    https://futurism.com/the-byte/someth...ing-out-uranus

What's the difference between Uranus, Jeeps, BMWs, and Babies?

Babies eventually stop leaking,
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

[*MUST RESIST COMPULSION TO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT KLINGONS HANGING AROUND UR- er THE SEVENTH PLANET*]

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment