Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Rain as a Cleaning Mechanism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain as a Cleaning Mechanism?

This is NOT a debate thread. I am NOT setting up some earth shattering argument that will end the ToE and result in free beer for everyone (eew, I don't even drink!). I am NOT plotting to take over the world with mutant potatoes raised in laundry baskets... Oh, wait, I am doing that one but this thread doesn't have anything to do with that, honest!

I have a private cattery as many of you know (shut up Rogue! I know where all your kill switches are - not the fake ones, the really real ones! So knock it off! ). Cats, especially when ill, can make things really icky - occasionally, they do that on things you don't want them to and things you actually have to have so tossing them in the trash is not an option (incidentally, Rogue, quit telling my garbage man that he doesn't have to pick up anything he doesn't want to - or I'm shipping the 'goodies' to your house!). Sometimes, it rains before you get a chance to use the garden hose (hey, carriers don't fit in the dishwasher! What'd you think we did with them?) and as a result, I've found that rain works incredibly well on things that normally require scrub brushes and lots of ninja squirrel elbow grease (eh, it keeps them off the street - and more importantly, out of Rogue's hair brained schemes...). And I do mean incredibly well... (which is why scrub day coincides with thunderstorm forecasts - better and cheaper than the squirrels - peanuts ain't free, ya know).

My (sincerely serious, yes, really) question is this: has anyone ever studied rain's cleansing impact on the environment?

Thanks in advance!

(Get out of that trash can, Rogue! I just changed Siren's box and she had dia.... ER, never mind, I see you found it. You know where the hose is...)
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    This is NOT a debate thread. I am NOT setting up some earth shattering argument that will end the ToE and result in free beer for everyone (eew, I don't even drink!). I am NOT plotting to take over the world with mutant potatoes raised in laundry baskets... Oh, wait, I am doing that one but this thread doesn't have anything to do with that, honest!

I have a private cattery as many of you know (shut up Rogue! I know where all your kill switches are - not the fake ones, the really real ones! So knock it off! ). Cats, especially when ill, can make things really icky - occasionally, they do that on things you don't want them to and things you actually have to have so tossing them in the trash is not an option (incidentally, Rogue, quit telling my garbage man that he doesn't have to pick up anything he doesn't want to - or I'm shipping the 'goodies' to your house!). Sometimes, it rains before you get a chance to use the garden hose (hey, carriers don't fit in the dishwasher! What'd you think we did with them?) and as a result, I've found that rain works incredibly well on things that normally require scrub brushes and lots of ninja squirrel elbow grease (eh, it keeps them off the street - and more importantly, out of Rogue's hair brained schemes...). And I do mean incredibly well... (which is why scrub day coincides with thunderstorm forecasts - better and cheaper than the squirrels - peanuts ain't free, ya know).

My (sincerely serious, yes, really) question is this: has anyone ever studied rain's cleansing impact on the environment?

Thanks in advance!

(Get out of that trash can, Rogue! I just changed Siren's box and she had dia.... ER, never mind, I see you found it. You know where the hose is...)
    Scientists have know that rain can be a powerful erosive force in removing material for a few hundred years now, if that's what you mean. I'm sure there are geologic studies on its effects on rocks and soil. Not sure about cat puke though.

Comment

I was thinking in terms of dust (it gets on everything in the house so it probably gets on all the trees, too) and soil formation (what happens if it rains before the bugs find the poop?). I know rain plays a big role in erosion - but I'm wondering if it doesn't do more than that.

Thanks!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Only as a lifelong farmer and rancher. It cleans the pollen out of the trees, washes the animal droppings.... but you're probably thinking carbon and stuff like that, eh?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Only as a lifelong farmer and rancher. It cleans the pollen out of the trees, washes the animal droppings.... but you're probably thinking carbon and stuff like that, eh?
          No, unless you count ash after a forest fire.

Why does everyone assume I'm trying to prove some esoteric politicized point? You take over one little town with mutant potatoes and they never let you live it down...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Why aren't you providing free beer to everyone? Furthermore, why are we reading politicized points into Teallaura's post when we should be worried about why she isn't providing beer!

Comment

Idiot, if I provide free beer first you guys will be too drunk to answer my question! The free beer is for later when I'm subjugating the entire planet!

Besides, I have all that mutant potato vodka to get rid of...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Just Some Dude View Post
                Why aren't you providing free beer to everyone? Furthermore, why are we reading politicized points into Teallaura's post when we should be worried about why she isn't providing beer!

Hey Sparky, bring back POTD and I might just consider the job offer - I'd soooo pick this one first!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Hey Sparky, bring back POTD and I might just consider the job offer - I'd soooo pick this one first!

Is Teal coming back to the mod squad?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No, unless you count ash after a forest fire.

Why does everyone assume I'm trying to prove some esoteric politicized point? You take over one little town with mutant potatoes and they never let you live it down...
                    Is there a particular cleansing effect you're interested in? I'm not really sure what you're asking.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      Is there a particular cleansing effect you're interested in? I'm not really sure what you're asking.
                      It's hard to put into words since I've never heard of such a discipline but it seems reasonable that there should be some study. I know there were some about the effect of rain on particulate in the atmosphere back when acid rain was a big media concern. What does it do for plants, for example? What about the effect on rotting matter? What do we know about the 'big picture', assuming there is one?

I'm just curious - and if someone can point me to something I can read about it, that'll work just fine.

Thanks

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment