Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Quantum Entanglement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    You're asking for a miracle.
    No miracles here, this is the Natural Science section.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I'm no expert but I've seen it claimed that you can't transmit information by entanglement. I wonder if that aspect of the claim is in the primary source.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        It is revealed in your emails. Biblical miracles have no logical connection to the physics of QT, unless you have a motive for making the connection.
        What e-mails? And I don't want to discuss miracles, I make one off handed comment and like an idiot you run with it.

But for the others here, this is what came to mind this morning, from the link:
        A particle can be in multiple places at the same time, and can even disappear on one side of a barrier and reappear on the other side without actually traveling through it.
        That reminded me of when Jesus appeared in a locked room with the disciples. Nothing more than that.
        Last edited by seer; 06-01-2014, 07:39 PM.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          What e-mails?
          Sorry your posts not e-mails.

And I don't want to discuss miracles, I make one off handed comment and like an idiot you run with it.
          Direct statement of comparison, not an off hand remark

That reminded me of when Jesus appeared in a locked room with the disciples. Nothing more than that.
          Another off hand remark???
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Direct statement of comparison, not an off hand remark

Another off hand remark???
            I was just telling others (not you) what was in my mind this morning. Please stop responding to me Shuny, you are not an honest man.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

this is seer's thread. If he doesn't want you to post here, Shuny, then stop posting here.

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
                I'm no expert but I've seen it claimed that you can't transmit information by entanglement. I wonder if that aspect of the claim is in the primary source.
                So what is the entanglement then?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  cool.

Instantaneous communication.
                  This is the breakthrough that would allow one to be an intellectually fulfilled Mormon.

It explains how prayers can travel to Father God on Kolob without using tachyons.

Cool indeed!

K54

Comment

If I remember correctly, Little Monkey, in the past, said that quantum entanglement does not actually happen. But it seems that it does. This is really strange stuff. How is it possible for one particle to instantly copycat another particle even at a distance? How can something (like information) travel faster than the speed of light, travel instantly?
                    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dutch-...212440375.html
                    Dutch Scientists Just Shattered Our Conception Of How Information Will Travel In The Future
                    Not even physicists properly understand QM but because the mathematics works they can do really crazy stuff. The article at your link is not very clear in its explanation. I would suggest also reading these two:
                    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06...able_at_delft/
                    http://www.tudelft.nl/en/current/lat...am-me-up-data/
                    This particular experiment seems to be about getting 100% reliability but the teleportation stuff is not new. So called “teleportation” allows two observers in different locations to see the same system simultaneously, without any way of controlling what either sees. This does not necessarily imply that information passes between the two observers – what is actually going on is still debated.
                    There is a Wikipedia page on this subject but you are unlikely to understand it:
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum...parent_paradox
                    As Prof. James Binney says “Physics isn’t easy and quantum mechanics is one of the hard bits of physics.” He explains in the first 10 minutes or so of this lecture where all the weirdness comes from – the odd way that probabilities are calculated in QM. It works but nobody knows why. It’s almost transcendental.
                    http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/users/Cr.../lecture1.html
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      As Prof. James Binney says “Physics isn’t easy and quantum mechanics is one of the hard bits of physics.” He explains in the first 10 minutes or so of this lecture where all the weirdness comes from – the odd way that probabilities are calculated in QM. It works but nobody knows why. It’s almost transcendental.
                      http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/users/Cr.../lecture1.html
                      Almost transcendental? Interesting. And your first two links agrees with my OP. This actually happened. Instant communication at a distance. How the heck is that possible. What travels instantly?
                      Last edited by seer; 06-02-2014, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omniskeptical View Post
                        So what is the entanglement then?
                        I've read popularized explanations that seemed to make sense, and I think I understood them, but I don't remember them Right now I don't have the time to search one out. Maybe later.

Comment

Almost transcendental? Interesting. And your first two links agrees with my OP. This actually happened. Instant communication at a distance. How the heck is that possible. What travels instantly?
                          If you read on a bit I think you will see that there is no faster than light communication but the two or more separated particles are one coherent system. Quantum teleportation uses entanglement to copy properties from one particle to another but it depends on classical communication. See here:
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            If you read on a bit I think you will see that there is no faster than light communication but the two or more separated particles are one coherent system. Quantum teleportation uses entanglement to copy properties from one particle to another but it depends on classical communication. See here:
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation
                            Yes, still I don't get it. The particles in the OP were separated by three meters. They are not a coherent system in that they have physical contact. They don't. And still something travels instantly between the two particles.

Comment

My understanding is that something may be traveling instantaneously between the to particles but whatever that may be cannot be used for carrying a communication channel.

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
                                My understanding is that something may be traveling instantaneously between the to particles but whatever that may be cannot be used for carrying a communication channel.
                                What if you could instead measure the movements of the particle? That could potentially be translated as a kind of code. This might not serve well for internet type functions, but for simple message sending it might work.

Comment