Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Big Bang Discovery Comes Under Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Bang Discovery Comes Under Fire

The conclusions may br premature and require more research results to confirm the strong gravity waves associated with the 'Big Bang.'

Originally posted by [url
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/05/140514-bicep2-physics-rumors-science-big-bang/][/url]

The cosmologists reported that, using a telescope in Antarctica, they had seen the swirled signatures of these surprisingly strong gravity ripples crisscrossing a portion of the big bang's aftermath—the so-called cosmic microwave background that emanates from every corner of the sky. (Related: "How Will Science Confirm Those Cosmic Signals From the Infant Universe?")

That claim, however, has come under fire. An online particle physics blog post written by physicist Adam Falkowski of the Laboratory of Theoretical Physics of Orsay, France, on Monday reported that "experts now put a finger on what exactly went wrong in BICEP."
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    The conclusions may br premature and require more research results to confirm the strong gravity waves associated with the 'Big Bang.'
    I read another report in New Scientist, I think it was, pointing out the same thing. A skeptical reaction has occurred. However, I believe that the Plank satellite may have picked up similar signals, just a lot weaker. I gather we have to wait for later this year to really see what Plank found and if it backs up this research.

Comment

I didn't realize the sky had corners. Intriguing...

K54

Comment

Of course this new question would not undermine Big Bang cosmology in general but a specific theory on how it happened. It would undermine inflation theory if true, or rather, there still wouldn't be any observable evidence for the inflation theory. And Inflation theory is a necessary part of Guth's multiverse model.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/18/sc...bang.html?_r=0
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Of course this new question would not undermine Big Bang cosmology in general but a specific theory on how it happened. It would undermine inflation theory if true, or rather, there still wouldn't be any observable evidence for the inflation theory.
          Actually seer, if we found close to zero gravitational waves then that would be very strong evidence against inflation theory. As it is we still have other lines of evidence indicating that inflation happened: evenness of background temperature, lack of magnetic monopoles, flatness of space-time and the distribution of the CMB.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            Actually seer, if we found close to zero gravitational waves then that would be very strong evidence against inflation theory. As it is we still have other lines of evidence indicating that inflation happened: evenness of background temperature, lack of magnetic monopoles, flatness of space-time and the distribution of the CMB.
            Leonhard from what I read Big Bang cosmology does not only depend on inflation theory as Guth and company defined it. The universe is still expanding even if we never really figure out why - correct?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment