Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is 5G dangerous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Actually they are placing small cell units potential of relaying 5G on telephone poles all over the cities in preparation of 5G conversion.
    Yeah, the higher the frequency, the lower the distance. The mmWave 5G will be in the 28-39GHz (or 30-300GHz, depending on who you ask) and the range would be about 500 meters - or about 1500 feet. They would pretty much need a mesh or MIMO arrangement with an antenna every couple blocks in a city.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Assume harmful unless proven otherwise.
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
        Assume harmful unless proven otherwise.
        That was done. Though in general if there is no plausible mechanism of harm, we don't attribute the same level of risk to something. Radiation such as 5G microwave radiation isn't ionizing, so it cannot induce chemical changes in the body, so there's no plausible mechanism of harm.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          That was done.
          I simply don't trust initial studies, especially if not long-term or when there's a big push to introduce a technology.

Though in general if there is no plausible mechanism of harm, we don't attribute the same level of risk to something. Radiation such as 5G microwave radiation isn't ionizing, so it cannot induce chemical changes in the body, so there's no plausible mechanism of harm.
          That's a very poor general statement. UV is non-ionising but is known to cause chemical and biological changes. Visible light is non-ionising, but is obviously detected by the eye. This is common knowledge, so don't blindly repeat what's been told to you.
          Last edited by demi-conservative; 12-16-2019, 12:12 AM.

Comment

That's a very poor general statement. UV is non-ionising but is known to cause chemical and biological changes.
            UV is ionizing.
            "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Yeah, the higher the frequency, the lower the distance. The mmWave 5G will be in the 28-39GHz (or 30-300GHz, depending on who you ask) and the range would be about 500 meters - or about 1500 feet. They would pretty much need a mesh or MIMO arrangement with an antenna every couple blocks in a city.
              I didn't even think of that. I already have a hard time getting a cell signal in the building where I work. I bet it will be near impossible with 5G.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I didn't even think of that. I already have a hard time getting a cell signal in the building where I work. I bet it will be near impossible with 5G.
                Does your building have a "roof management" agent? As a facilities guy, I've dealt with roof management agents a lot, and they'll often negotiate "lease space" on the roof - maybe even your building - for cell transmitter or repeater. It's going to take that kind of density for 5G to really work, I'd think.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Does your building have a "roof management" agent? As a facilities guy, I've dealt with roof management agents a lot, and they'll often negotiate "lease space" on the roof - maybe even your building - for cell transmitter or repeater. It's going to take that kind of density for 5G to really work, I'd think.
                  It would still have to penetrate several concrete and rebar floors. And I am in an inside office with no windows so that makes it worse. I think right now they have wi-fi calling enabled on our network so I can use that most of the time.

Comment

It would still have to penetrate several concrete and rebar floors. And I am in an inside office with no windows so that makes it worse. I think right now they have wi-fi calling enabled on our network so I can use that most of the time.
                    Yeah, the penetration of higher frequencies, even through foliage, isn't that great. Remember the long "whip antenna" on Sheriff Andy Taylor's patrol car? Longer waves, lower frequencies, longer range. Higher frequencies - shorter wavelengths - don't penetrate walls as well, because to the shorter wavelengths, the walls appear thicker.

Make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                      UV is ionizing.
                      Some range of it is ionising, some range of it isn't. The point stands.

Comment

Yeah, the penetration of higher frequencies, even through foliage, isn't that great. Remember the long "whip antenna" on Sheriff Andy Taylor's patrol car? Longer waves, lower frequencies, longer range. Higher frequencies - shorter wavelengths - don't penetrate walls as well, because to the shorter wavelengths, the walls appear thicker.

Make sense?
                        Higher density and higher power needed should make it much more expensive. Why are they pushing this?

Comment

Higher density and higher power needed should make it much more expensive. Why are they pushing this?
                          speed. 5G allows much higher data rates. LTE/4G tops out around 150MBPS, 5G around 10GBPS. In reality you only get about 10/20MBPS on LTE and should get around 150-300MBPS on 5G to start out. It will get faster as they improve the hardware.

Comment

Yeah, I feel the need, the need for speed!

Comment

speed. 5G allows much higher data rates. LTE/4G tops out around 150MBPS, 5G around 10GBPS. In reality you only get about 10/20MBPS on LTE and should get around 150-300MBPS on 5G to start out. It will get faster as they improve the hardware.
                              It was a rhetorical question. People need their speed, a better circus. Live-downloading VR, perhaps.

Comment

I just ran into this one. It is sort of a bad date to post a message of concern on a heated topic.

The site for the Canadian group is: http://c4st.org/5g/

Comment