Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Loss of big Antarctic glaciers inevitable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    The fact is, there is nothing we can do about this. Just try and deal with higher sea levels when/if they come.
    Add to that the news that last month's ice extent was the largest on record...

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/
    In the Southern Hemisphere, autumn is well underway, and sea ice extent is growing rapidly. Antarctic sea ice extent for April 2014 reached 9.00 million square kilometers (3.47 million square miles), the largest ice extent on record by a significant margin. This exceeds the past record for the satellite era by about 320,000 square kilometers (124,000 square miles), which was set in April 2008.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Sea levels have fluctuated considerably before and will continue to do so in the future. No finer example of this can be presented than Cosquer cave near near Marseilles, France. It is the site of some extraordinary prehistoric paintings ranging from 19 to 27,000 years old (Upper Paleolithic). The entrance to this cave is now approximately 35 to 37 meters (115-121') underwater. This means that sea levels have risen well over one hundred feet since these cave paintings were made.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

In the Southern Hemisphere, autumn is well underway, and sea ice extent is growing rapidly. Antarctic sea ice extent for April 2014 reached 9.00 million square kilometers (3.47 million square miles), the largest ice extent on record by a significant margin. This exceeds the past record for the satellite era by about 320,000 square kilometers (124,000 square miles), which was set in April 2008.
        So what is going on? This seems to counter the "runaway meltdown" referenced in the OP.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
          Any idea that includes models to predict an event decades into the future is an hypothesis. The testing of which is "wait and see" unless you can build a time machine.

Why does the idea of this being an hypothesis bother you?

K54
          It doesn't. It's just that i said a lot more than one thing, and many of the things that i said were factual. I'm trying to figure out what, exactly, is the hypothesis. There are a large number of them that you could potentially draw from the facts (there are five different glaciers involved, each with their own distinctive grounding lines and upstream features), so i'd like something specific to actually think about.
          "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            So what is going on? This seems to counter the "runaway meltdown" referenced in the OP.
            Each winter, you see sea ice form in both the Arctic and Antarctic. Each summer, most of it goes away again. The sea ice has some influence on the behavior of the non-floating ice (which is what's at issue in the OP), but many other factors also influence it. So, to a large extent, we're talking about two different things.
            "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Sea levels have fluctuated considerably before and will continue to do so in the future. No finer example of this can be presented than Cosquer cave near near Marseilles, France. It is the site of some extraordinary prehistoric paintings ranging from 19 to 27,000 years old (Upper Paleolithic). The entrance to this cave is now approximately 35 to 37 meters (115-121') underwater. This means that sea levels have risen well over one hundred feet since these cave paintings were made.

I'm reading about this now. This is really cool; thanks for sharing.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Hmmm...so due to climate change the arctic ice is rapidly melting while current shifts have the antarctic ice slowly growing.

The arctic ice is 610,000 square kilometers below average while the antarctic is 320,000 square kilometers above average.

For the planet as a whole the ice is almost 300,000 square kilometers below average.

To denier cranks that means AGW must be a Gore-led conspiracy.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                  The arctic ice is 610,000 square kilometers below average
                  Oh noes... Tiggy is here...

Arctic sea ice extent for April 2014 averaged 14.14 million square kilometers (5.46 million square miles)... 270,000 square kilometers (104,000 square miles) above the record April monthly low, which occurred in 2007
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The arctic ice is 610,000 square kilometers below average while the antarctic is 320,000 square kilometers above average.
                    Arctic sea ice extent for April 2014 averaged 14.14 million square kilometers (5.46 million square miles)... 270,000 square kilometers (104,000 square miles) above the record April monthly low, which occurred in 2007
                    Um, Bill...

Showing us something 'above the record low' is not showing us that it's not 'below average'.

ETA:
                    And serious demerit for quote-mining. Those ellipses leave out quite a bit.

Source: Overview of Conditions

Arctic sea ice extent for April 2014 averaged 14.14 million square kilometers (5.46 million square miles). This is 610,000 square kilometers (236,000 square miles) below the 1981 to 2010 average extent, and 270,000 square kilometers (104,000 square miles) above the record April monthly low, which occurred in 2007.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by Carrikature; 05-13-2014, 01:52 PM.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Hmmm...so due to climate change the arctic ice is rapidly melting while current shifts have the antarctic ice slowly growing.

For the planet as a whole the ice is almost 300,000 square kilometers below average.

To denier cranks that means AGW must be a Gore-led conspiracy.
                      This is wrong. Antarctic ice is 320,000 sq.km. above the record, not above average.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Hundreds of years? Plenty of time for the climate to change not once but a few times. Maybe an Ice Age.
                        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                          Um, Bill...

Showing us something 'above the record low' is not showing us that it's not 'below average'.
                          I wasn't trying to show that. I was showing that it looks to be recovering from the 2007 low by quite a large extent.

ETA:
                          And serious demerit for quote-mining. Those ellipses leave out quite a bit.

Source: Overview of Conditions

Arctic sea ice extent for April 2014 averaged 14.14 million square kilometers (5.46 million square miles). This is 610,000 square kilometers (236,000 square miles) below the 1981 to 2010 average extent, and 270,000 square kilometers (104,000 square miles) above the record April monthly low, which occurred in 2007.

© Copyright Original Source

The ellipses was to omit what Tiggy had quoted in his post, as it was unnecessary to the point I was making. If climate change is really affecting it the way it is portrayed, it should not have recovered over 50% of what was lost from the average normal, should it?
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I wasn't trying to show that. I was showing that it looks to be recovering from the 2007 low by quite a large extent.

The ellipses was to omit what Tiggy had quoted in his post, as it was unnecessary to the point I was making. If climate change is really affecting it the way it is portrayed, it should not have recovered over 50% of what was lost from the average normal, should it?
                            It recovered the very next year. What you need to establish are trends, not yearly quantities. The trends are shown in the graphs provided, and they're very clearly downward. The quantities are higher than the record low, but they're still well below average.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                              It recovered the very next year. What you need to establish are trends, not yearly quantities. The trends are shown in the graphs provided, and they're very clearly downward. The quantities are higher than the record low, but they're still well below average.
                              But what does this say about Antarctic ice?

That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

But what does this say about Antarctic ice?

Obviously the Antarctic is a thief! It is stealing ice from the Artic. I bet it is those penguins. Never trust a suit.

Comment