Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Turning CO2 into fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, one of the problems with the quotes you're throwing around is that they're about different subjects, but you're not reading them carefully enough to realize this. Contrast this, which you base on the UN document you quoted earlier:
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    We disagree that our efforts can actually reverse the trend. If you read the whole report by UN it outlines the extreme efforts needed to reverse the human impact, and it is pessimistic as to whether our human efforts can meet the criteria described.
    With this:
    Source: https://economia.icaew.com/opinion/july-2019/debate-can-the-effect-of-climate-change-be-reversed

“It’s not too late to reduce the speed and extent of climate change.”

© Copyright Original Source

The UN report was all about whether we can keep temperatures below 2C and possibly 1.5C. And it is appropriately pessimistic. We almost certainly won't. But the second quote is about doing anything to alter the trajectory of climate change, by slowing the rate of change and the final magnitude. And it's optimistic about that.

Climate change is not some yes-or-no, binary thing. If we lower the increase of carbon emissions, we slow down the rate of change. If we stabilize them, then we limit both the rate of change and how much change we'll ultimately see. If we actually cause emissions to drop, we'll be able to make those limits more dramatic. All of those remain true whether or now we overshoot a 2C target.

Perhaps more importantly, they buy us more time before we see the same amount of change. And that time allows positive trends - the death of coal power, the increasing economic power of renewables, research in carbon capture tech - to advance us further, creating a virtuous cycle.

But you would seemingly prefer to ignore all that, and just say "we're not going to hit the 2C target, so why bother?"

And that's of course ignoring the fact that you apparently can't support your accusation that Cow Poke disagrees that humans are causing climate change. Or that you haven't acknowledged that you claimed your own opinion had the weight of a scientific consensus. It seems like Teal is doing a find job holding your feet to the fire on those counts.
    Last edited by TheLurch; 09-23-2019, 03:47 PM.
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]39870[/ATTACH]

Source

That's pretty impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
        You know, one of the problems with the quotes you're throwing around is that they're about different subjects, but you're not reading them carefully enough to realize this. Contrast this, which you base on the UN document you quoted earlier:

With this:

The UN report was all about whether we can keep temperatures below 2C and possibly 1.5C. And it is appropriately pessimistic. We almost certainly won't. But the second quote is about doing anything to alter the trajectory of climate change, by slowing the rate of change and the final magnitude. And it's optimistic about that.

Climate change is not some yes-or-no, binary thing. If we lower the increase of carbon emissions, we slow down the rate of change. If we stabilize them, then we limit both the rate of change and how much change we'll ultimately see. If we actually cause emissions to drop, we'll be able to make those limits more dramatic. All of those remain true whether or now we overshoot a 2C target.

Perhaps more importantly, they buy us more time before we see the same amount of change. And that time allows positive trends - the death of coal power, the increasing economic power of renewables, research in carbon capture tech - to advance us further, creating a virtuous cycle.

But you would seemingly prefer to ignore all that, and just say "we're not going to hit the 2C target, so why bother?"

And that's of course ignoring the fact that you apparently can't support your accusation that Cow Poke disagrees that humans are causing climate change. Or that you haven't acknowledged that you claimed your own opinion had the weight of a scientific consensus. It seems like Teal is doing a find job holding your feet to the fire on those counts.
        I am still waiting for Cow Poke to state his position. There is a history here,

Still waiting. . .
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Still waiting. . .
          No, you are still dodging because you cannot back up your claim and haven't the intestinal fortitude to admit you were wrong.

Time to show you work - go get that quote like CP asked!
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Let us hear you in your own words support the fact that humans are the major cause of global warming.
            You don't get off that easy.... Here is the "history"....

Yes. Your opposition to Global Warming caused by humans.
            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Where have you seen me oppose this, Shuny? Exact quotes, please.
            Waiting on your quotes, Shuny. Or your best efforts to prove your false accusation that my 'agenda' is "opposition to Global Warming caused by humans".

OR, you could just admit you overshot the runway and offer an apology.
            Provide the actual quotes, or admit you jumped the gun.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              No, you are still dodging because you cannot back up your claim and haven't the intestinal fortitude to admit you were wrong.

Time to show you work - go get that quote like CP asked!
              I don't believe he has the integrity to admit he blew it.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't believe he has the integrity to admit he blew it.
                Still waiting . . .
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Still waiting . . .
                  You don't have to wait a second longer, Shuny --- produce the quotes! Or, admit you were wrong.

Comment

Even if you did have to wait for that (which you don't, given that you made the statement and thus it's your job to back it up), it doesn't mean you have to wait to comment on the other two issues i highlighted.

Sidenote to CP: Please change your profile pic. I'm spending too much of my day desperately wanting a nice cappuccino.

Comment

Even if you did have to wait for that (which you don't, given that you made the statement and thus it's your job to back it up), it doesn't mean you have to wait to comment on the other two issues i highlighted.
                      I was just about to say that this is a YUGE glaring difference between Shuny and Lurch --- If lurch spoke out of turn, and was called on it, I believe he'd immediately fess up, and not turn it into a jackass childish game of "no, I'm waiting on YOU"

Shuny, at times, doesn't even have the credibility of pond scum.

I'll drop this now, Shuny can respond with more jackassery, and I'll not be responding.

Comment

Still dodging . . .
                        Fixed it for ya, Shifty!
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I was just about to say that this is a YUGE glaring difference between Shuny and Lurch --- If lurch spoke out of turn, and was called on it, I believe he'd immediately fess up, and not turn it into a jackass childish game of "no, I'm waiting on YOU"
                          Refusing to admit to making a mistake in your posts is really difficult if, like me, you can't even seem to complete most of your posts without typos.

Comment

Refusing to admit to making a mistake in your posts is really difficult if, like me, you can't even seem to complete most of your posts without typos.
                            Again, this is why it's hard for me to even TRY to consider the points made by people like Shuny. If he can be that illogical and emotional and dishonest in little things, what kind of "scientist" could he possibly be?

But to be clear - and I've said this before - I'm not an opposer of climate change, I'm a skeptic.

Meanwhile, however, I believe in being a good steward with what we have been given - including the planet.

Comment

Meanwhile, however, I believe in being a good steward with what we have been given - including the planet.
                              While that's true, you also told me things that turned out not to quite hold water. When I talked about the wanton destruction of natural habitats in persuit of coal mining, you told me that coal companies were now forced to restore those areas to the state they were in originally.

You failed to mention though, that this only accounts for around 6% of all coal mines, and you also forgot to mention that coal companies are allowed to redesignate what the original state was, changing it to something it wasn't to begin with. Like a storage area for spent diesel equipment as one coal company got away with doing.

And when I asked you about that, you referred back to the one sole example you've given me where a coal company restored a natural reserve back to what it used to be.

So it does seem you believe in being a good steward, but you also seem to turn a blind eye to a lot of things the Republicans support in this area. They want to start coal mining, and fracking, and new oil wells deep inside existing natural reservations. And you want me to believe these companies will be forced to restore it to pristine, original, natural state, and not merely to "grassland"?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                                I've yet to see a Ford that runs on logs of cedar though.

Comment