Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Turning CO2 into fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
    Yeah, it's entirely possible that i've got it in spades, and am just very adept at hiding it.
    All seriousness aside, I'm glad you're here, Lurch.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Where have you seen me oppose this, Shuny? Exact quotes, please.
      Waiting on your quotes, Shuny. Or your best efforts to prove your false accusation that my 'agenda' is "opposition to Global Warming caused by humans".

OR, you could just admit you overshot the runway and offer an apology.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Where have you seen me oppose this, Shuny? Exact quotes, please.
        Let us hear you in your own words support the fact that humans are the major cause of global warming.

The Lurch and I agree that the primary cause of Global Warming is human production of CO2, and the necessary actions needed to reduce the human impact of Global Warming.

We disagree that our efforts can actually reverse the trend. If you read the whole report by UN it outlines the extreme efforts needed to reverse the human impact, and it is pessimistic as to whether our human efforts can meet the criteria described. In large part due to the fact that many still oppose the concept of human global warming, increased demands due to increase in population, and simply many refuse to believe the efforts are worthwhile. Yes, the report by many scientists from all over the world propose that all efforts possible need to be implemented to reduce the human impact, but it concluded that we must also find ways to adapt and benifit where possible from the changing climate.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-23-2019, 11:09 AM.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Let us hear you in your own words support the fact that humans are the major cause of global warming.

The Lurch and I agree that the primary cause of Global Warming is human production of CO2, and the necessary actions needed to reduce the human impact of Global Warming.

We disagree that our efforts can actually reverse the trend. If you read the whole report by UN it outlines the extreme efforts needed to reverse the human impact, and it is pessimistic as to whether our human efforts can meet the criteria described. In large part due to the fact that many still oppose the concept of human global warming, increased demands due to increase in population, and simply many refuse to believe the efforts are worthwhile. Yes, the report by many scientists from all over the world propose that all efforts possible need to be implemented to reduce the human impact, but it concluded that we must also find ways to adapt and benifit where possible from the changing climate.
          This is called deflection. It is a strong indicator that you are unable to prove your accusation.

The burden of proof is yours as accuser - so prove it with a quotation. You have no right to demand a statement until and unless you prove your accusation true.

Also, Lurch took issue with your mischaracterization of the 'scientific consensus' as agreeing with you that intervention isn't going to work - you still owe a proof or a retraction on that.

Annnd we're still waiting for your 'more to come'...
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            This is called deflection. It is a strong indicator that you are unable to prove your accusation.

The burden of proof is yours as accuser - so prove it with a quotation. You have no right to demand a statement until and unless you prove your accusation true.

Also, Lurch took issue with your mischaracterization of the 'scientific consensus' as agreeing with you that intervention isn't going to work - you still owe a proof or a retraction on that.

Annnd we're still waiting for your 'more to come'...
            Let the 'Cow Poke' speak for himself.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Let the 'Cow Poke' speak for himself.
              Translation: Dang, busted!
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Waiting on your quotes, Shuny. Or your best efforts to prove your false accusation that my 'agenda' is "opposition to Global Warming caused by humans".

OR, you could just admit you overshot the runway and offer an apology.
                All the references I have found so far have a BIG IF of a high bar required to reverse the global warming trend, The problem with the BIG IF is the current governments of the world and the powers to be are not will ingo commit to this BIG IF, and the top of the list is the United States and countries like Brazil where the administration do not even acknowledge the reality of Global Warming.

Source: https://economia.icaew.com/opinion/july-2019/debate-can-the-effect-of-climate-change-be-reversed

Rod Downie
                Chief polar adviser, WWF UK

“If emissions continue to rise at current rates, we have about a decade before 1.5°C of global warming is inevitable and the impacts are irreversible. Further warming beyond this will lead to mass wildlife extinctions and human catastrophe. The Arctic is ‘ground-zero’ for climate change. The rapid changes that we see here today will continue at least up to mid-century. But substantial cuts in greenhouse gas now could stabilise even the Arctic, after mid-century.

Should we rely on Donald Trump to lead the way.

“We are the last generation that can stop devastating climate change. The world needs to be ‘net zero’ by 2050. This requires transformational change in energy, transport and food systems and the way we manage our land and oceans, combined with technology solutions to capture and store carbon.”

© Copyright Original Source

Does anybody really think the present generation of the USA is committed to the extreme measures to reverse the current trends of an increase in carbon dioxide emissions from all the major sources.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-23-2019, 01:57 PM.

Frank

Comment

Translation: Dang, busted!
                  Are you willing to accept the crisis of human caused Global Warming, and the extreme measures required in our generation to reverse the trend?
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-23-2019, 02:09 PM.

Frank

Comment

Are you willing to accept the crisis of human caused Global Warming, and the extreme measures required in our generation to reverse the trend?
                    Translation: Ack, they're on to me! I need to distract them! SQUIRREL!!!!

The funny part is you already said intervention is pointless - which makes the argument moot.

Now, go back and meet your burden - get those quotes and some sources that actually prove your assertion.

We're waiting...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Translation: Ack, they're on to me! I need to distract them! SQUIRREL!!!!

The funny part is you already said intervention is pointless - which makes the argument moot.

Now, go back and meet your burden - get those quotes and some sources that actually prove your assertion.

We're waiting...
                      No translation needed. Still waiting . . .

Frank

Comment

Source: https://economia.icaew.com/opinion/july-2019/debate-can-the-effect-of-climate-change-be-reversed

Emma Howard Boyd
                        Chair, the Environment Agency

“It’s not too late to reduce the speed and extent of climate change, but we should heed the words of the young climate activists around the world: this is an emergency.

“Last year, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said we have 12 years to limit global temperature rise to 1.5ºC above pre-industrial levels. But, a key point they made was that even if we manage that, the physical threats are still multiplying.

“So, we need to both reduce carbon emissions to net zero (which the UK’s Committee on Climate Change says is possible), and also prepare for the acceleration of physical impacts that we already know are coming – like heatwaves, droughts, the spread of disease, and floods.”

© Copyright Original Source

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Trees have been converting C02 into fuel and building materials forever. Called "wood"
                          I've yet to see a Ford that runs on logs of cedar though.

Comment

No translation needed. Still waiting . . .

Translation: Dodge!!!! Evade!!!!! Distract!!!!! ACK, they're on to me!!!!

Go fulfill your obligations. Go on, you can do it! (Well,you can try, anyway...)

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                              I've yet to see a Ford that runs on logs of cedar though.
                              100327woodvolvo.jpg

Source

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

All seriousness aside, I'm glad you're here, Lurch.
                                Thanks! I've enjoyed getting to know you and a number of other regulars here.
                                "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment