Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Illustris computer simulation simulates entire universe from near the Big Bang to tod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illustris computer simulation simulates entire universe from near the Big Bang to tod

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
    On a Nature podcast, I heard one of the researchers talking about it. He said that if they tried to do this on an ordinary state of the art desktop PC like the ones we have, it would need to run for some 5,000 years.

The podcast is here:-

http://www.nature.com/nature/podcast...014-05-08.html

Comment

Well, not the "Entire" universe but just a cube-shaped subsection of it....and the thread cut off the end of "today" in the title.

Comment

What's really amazing about this is how close the simulation came to matching the real thing.

The real Universe photographed by the Hubble telescope is on the left. On the right is what emerges from the simulation.

Here is a good BBC write up on the work:

Universe evolution recreated in lab

Wow. Just wow.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
          What's really amazing about this is how close the simulation came to matching the real thing.

The real Universe photographed by the Hubble telescope is on the left. On the right is what emerges from the simulation.

Here is a good BBC write up on the work:

Universe evolution recreated in lab

Wow. Just wow.
          Is 'close' intended to portray how well it matches our universe, or just the general idea of how the universe appears? If the former, it doesn't look terribly close to me (though I admittedly don't know how other simulations have fared). If the latter, I don't understand what is so amazing.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment