Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Imaging Quantum entanglement achieved

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Imaging Quantum entanglement achieved

    The images in the article are fantastic, but I do not know how to up load images. If anyone can please do!

    Source: https://phys.org/news/2019-07-scientists-unveil-first-ever-image-quantum.html



    Scientists unveil the first-ever image of quantum entanglement



    Scientists unveil the first-ever image of quantum entanglement
    by University of Glasgow

    Full-frame images recording the violation of a Bell inequality in four images. (A) The four coincidence counting images are presented, which correspond to images of the phase circle acquired with the four phase filters with different orientations, θ2 = {0° , 45° , 90° , 135°}, necessary to perform the Bell test. Scale bars, 1 mm (in the plane of the object). (B to E) The coincidence counts graphs as a function of the orientation angle θ1 of the phase step along the object are presented. As shown, these results are obtained by unfolding the ROIs represented as red rings and are extracted from the images presented in (A). The blue dots in the graphs are the coincidence counts per angular region within the ROIs, and the red curves correspond to the best fits of the experimental data by a cosine-squared function. (B) to (E) correspond to phase filter orientations θ2 of 0°, 45°, 90°, and 135°, respectively. Credit: Science Advances (2019). DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.aaw2563
    For the first time ever, physicists have managed to take a photo of a strong form of quantum entanglement called Bell entanglement—capturing visual evidence of an elusive phenomenon which a baffled Albert Einstein once called 'spooky action at a distance'.


    Two particles which interact with each other—like two photons passing through a beam splitter, for example—can sometimes remain connected, instantaneously sharing their physical states no matter how great the distance which separates them. This connection is known as quantum entanglement, and it underpins the field of quantum mechanics.

    Einstein thought quantum mechanics was 'spooky' because of the instantaneousness of the apparent remote interaction between two entangled particles, which seemed incompatible with elements of his special theory of relativity.

    Later, Sir John Bell formalised this concept of nonlocal interaction describing a strong form of entanglement exhibiting this spookiness. Today, while Bell entanglement is being harnessed in practical applications like quantum computing and cryptography, it has never been captured in a single image.

    In a paper published today in the journal Science Advances, a team of physicists from the University of Glasgow describe how they have made Einstein's spookiness visible in an image for the first time.

    They devised a system which fires a stream of entangled photons from a quantum source of light at 'non-conventional objects' – displayed on liquid-crystals materials which change the phase of the photons as they pass through.

    They set up a super-sensitive camera capable of detecting single photons which would only take an image when it caught sight of both one photon and its entangled 'twin', creating a visible record of the entanglement of the photons.

    © Copyright Original Source

    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  • #2
    fixed source URL

    Further interesting explanation and description of the implication of Quantum entanglement and the recent research:

    Source: https://phys.org/news/2015-05-spacetime-built-quantum-entanglement.html



    How spacetime is built by quantum entanglement
    by University of Tokyo

    The mathematical formula derived by Ooguri and his collaborators relates local data in the extra dimensions of the gravitational theory, depicted by the red point, are expressed in terms of quantum entanglements, depicted by the blue domes. Credit: (c) 2015 Jennifer Lin et al.
    A collaboration of physicists and a mathematician has made a significant step toward unifying general relativity and quantum mechanics by explaining how spacetime emerges from quantum entanglement in a more fundamental theory. The paper announcing the discovery by Hirosi Ooguri, a Principal Investigator at the University of Tokyo's Kavli IPMU, with Caltech mathematician Matilde Marcolli and graduate students Jennifer Lin and Bogdan Stoica, will be published in Physical Review Letters as an Editors' Suggestion "for the potential interest in the results presented and on the success of the paper in communicating its message, in particular to readers from other fields."

    Physicists and mathematicians have long sought a Theory of Everything (ToE) that unifies general relativity and quantum mechanics. General relativity explains gravity and large-scale phenomena such as the dynamics of stars and galaxies in the universe, while quantum mechanics explains microscopic phenomena from the subatomic to molecular scales.

    The holographic principle is widely regarded as an essential feature of a successful Theory of Everything. The holographic principle states that gravity in a three-dimensional volume can be described by quantum mechanics on a two-dimensional surface surrounding the volume. In particular, the three dimensions of the volume should emerge from the two dimensions of the surface. However, understanding the precise mechanics for the emergence of the volume from the surface has been elusive.

    Now, Ooguri and his collaborators have found that quantum entanglement is the key to solving this question. Using a quantum theory (that does not include gravity), they showed how to compute energy density, which is a source of gravitational interactions in three dimensions, using quantum entanglement data on the surface. This is analogous to diagnosing conditions inside of your body by looking at X-ray images on two-dimensional sheets. This allowed them to interpret universal properties of quantum entanglement as conditions on the energy density that should be satisfied by any consistent quantum theory of gravity, without actually explicitly including gravity in the theory. The importance of quantum entanglement has been suggested before, but its precise role in emergence of spacetime was not clear until the new paper by Ooguri and collaborators.

    An illustration of the concept of the holography. Credit: Hirosi Ooguri
    Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon whereby quantum states such as spin or polarization of particles at different locations cannot be described independently. Measuring (and hence acting on) one particle must also act on the other, something that Einstein called "spooky action at distance." The work of Ooguri and collaborators shows that this quantum entanglement generates the extra dimensions of the gravitational theory.

    "It was known that quantum entanglement is related to deep issues in the unification of general relativity and quantum mechanics, such as the black hole information paradox and the firewall paradox," says Hirosi Ooguri. "Our paper sheds new light on the relation between quantum entanglement and the microscopic structure of spacetime by explicit calculations. The interface between quantum gravity and information science is becoming increasingly important for both fields. I myself am collaborating with information scientists to pursue this line of research further."

    © Copyright Original Source

    Last edited by Sparko; 07-15-2019, 08:13 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Further interesting explanation and description of the implication of Quantum entanglement and the recent research:

      Source: https://phys.org/news/2015-05-spacetime-built-quantum-entanglement.html



      How spacetime is built by quantum entanglement
      by University of Tokyo

      The mathematical formula derived by Ooguri and his collaborators relates local data in the extra dimensions of the gravitational theory, depicted by the red point, are expressed in terms of quantum entanglements, depicted by the blue domes. Credit: (c) 2015 Jennifer Lin et al.
      A collaboration of physicists and a mathematician has made a significant step toward unifying general relativity and quantum mechanics by explaining how spacetime emerges from quantum entanglement in a more fundamental theory. The paper announcing the discovery by Hirosi Ooguri, a Principal Investigator at the University of Tokyo's Kavli IPMU, with Caltech mathematician Matilde Marcolli and graduate students Jennifer Lin and Bogdan Stoica, will be published in Physical Review Letters as an Editors' Suggestion "for the potential interest in the results presented and on the success of the paper in communicating its message, in particular to readers from other fields."

      Physicists and mathematicians have long sought a Theory of Everything (ToE) that unifies general relativity and quantum mechanics. General relativity explains gravity and large-scale phenomena such as the dynamics of stars and galaxies in the universe, while quantum mechanics explains microscopic phenomena from the subatomic to molecular scales.

      The holographic principle is widely regarded as an essential feature of a successful Theory of Everything. The holographic principle states that gravity in a three-dimensional volume can be described by quantum mechanics on a two-dimensional surface surrounding the volume. In particular, the three dimensions of the volume should emerge from the two dimensions of the surface. However, understanding the precise mechanics for the emergence of the volume from the surface has been elusive.

      Now, Ooguri and his collaborators have found that quantum entanglement is the key to solving this question. Using a quantum theory (that does not include gravity), they showed how to compute energy density, which is a source of gravitational interactions in three dimensions, using quantum entanglement data on the surface. This is analogous to diagnosing conditions inside of your body by looking at X-ray images on two-dimensional sheets. This allowed them to interpret universal properties of quantum entanglement as conditions on the energy density that should be satisfied by any consistent quantum theory of gravity, without actually explicitly including gravity in the theory. The importance of quantum entanglement has been suggested before, but its precise role in emergence of spacetime was not clear until the new paper by Ooguri and collaborators.

      An illustration of the concept of the holography. Credit: Hirosi Ooguri
      Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon whereby quantum states such as spin or polarization of particles at different locations cannot be described independently. Measuring (and hence acting on) one particle must also act on the other, something that Einstein called "spooky action at distance." The work of Ooguri and collaborators shows that this quantum entanglement generates the extra dimensions of the gravitational theory.

      "It was known that quantum entanglement is related to deep issues in the unification of general relativity and quantum mechanics, such as the black hole information paradox and the firewall paradox," says Hirosi Ooguri. "Our paper sheds new light on the relation between quantum entanglement and the microscopic structure of spacetime by explicit calculations. The interface between quantum gravity and information science is becoming increasingly important for both fields. I myself am collaborating with information scientists to pursue this line of research further."

      © Copyright Original Source

      I edited your post to fix your URL, you had the same URL as in your first post.

      This is pretty interesting. So we could just all be living in a hologram? Maybe God is just projecting our universe on his home movie projector.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        This is pretty interesting. So we could just all be living in a hologram? Maybe God is just projecting our universe on his home movie projector.
        How the heck do these particles effect each other at a distance - instantly. I thought nothing traveled faster than the speed of light? Yet there is something, some information, traveling between these two particles that is way faster. Or instant. Makes no sense to me.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by seer View Post
          How the heck do these particles effect each other at a distance - instantly. I thought nothing traveled faster than the speed of light? Yet there is something, some information, traveling between these two particles that is way faster. Or instant. Makes no sense to me.
          maybe they are the same particle projected into two different holographic spaces.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            maybe they are the same particle projected into two different holographic spaces.
            I have no idea what that means...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by seer View Post
              I have no idea what that means...
              Well the article seems to be saying that the universe is somehow a two dimensional plane that projects things into 3 dimensions like a hologram does. So you could have one particle projecting into two different spots in the hologram but only be one point on the 2D surface, kinda like a reflection.

              I have no idea what I am talking about

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I edited your post to fix your URL, you had the same URL as in your first post.

                This is pretty interesting. So we could just all be living in a hologram? Maybe God is just projecting our universe on his home movie projector.

                Well the article seems to be saying that the universe is somehow a two dimensional plane that projects things into 3 dimensions like a hologram does. So you could have one particle projecting into two different spots in the hologram but only be one point on the 2D surface, kinda like a reflection.

                I have no idea what I am talking about
                'Seems to be . . . like a hologram' would only be a stretch of an analogy for illustration, and not something that actually is a hologram.

                I will not venture into the hypothetical, and I do not believe the possibility of our physical existence is a hologram is proposed as a result of this research in the literature cited.

                This research does represent an advancement in understanding the nature of Quantum entanglement.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-15-2019, 04:53 PM.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

                go with the flow the river knows . . .

                Frank

                I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  'Seems to be . . . like a hologram' would only be a stretch of an analogy for illustration, and not something that actually is a hologram.

                  I will not venture into the hypothetical, and I do not believe the possibility of our physical existence is a hologram is proposed as a result of this research in the literature cited.

                  This research does represent an advancement in understanding the nature of Quantum entanglement.
                  Look up "universe is a hologram" - This is a theory that started long before. The people in your article just used that theory to explain quantum entanglement.

                  Here are a couple of articles I found:

                  https://www.space.com/39510-are-we-l...-hologram.html
                  https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-o...gram-20190221/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Look up "universe is a hologram" - This is a theory that started long before. The people in your article just used that theory to explain quantum entanglement.

                    Here are a couple of articles I found:

                    https://www.space.com/39510-are-we-l...-hologram.html
                    https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-o...gram-20190221/
                    Yes, the theory is moldy old, well, ah . . . at least as old as computers and a common theme of scifi. Tom Campbell advocates such a theory, but no it is not remotely advocated by the authors of this research as real depiction of the nature of our physical existence.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

                    go with the flow the river knows . . .

                    Frank

                    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      Yes, the theory is moldy old, well, ah . . . at least as old as computers and a common theme of scifi. Tom Campbell advocates such a theory, but no it is not remotely advocated by the authors of this research as real depiction of the nature of our physical existence.
                      um, yes it is, that is the whole central point of their theory. Did you even read their article? Without a holographic universe, their theory is non-existent.

                      The holographic principle is widely regarded as an essential feature of a successful Theory of Everything. The holographic principle states that gravity in a three-dimensional volume can be described by quantum mechanics on a two-dimensional surface surrounding the volume. In particular, the three dimensions of the volume should emerge from the two dimensions of the surface. However, understanding the precise mechanics for the emergence of the volume from the surface has been elusive.

                      Now, Ooguri and his collaborators have found that quantum entanglement is the key to solving this question. Using a quantum theory (that does not include gravity), they showed how to compute energy density, which is a source of gravitational interactions in three dimensions, using quantum entanglement data on the surface. This is analogous to diagnosing conditions inside of your body by looking at X-ray images on two-dimensional sheets.
                      https://phys.org/news/2015-05-spacet...anglement.html

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        um, yes it is, that is the whole central point of their theory. Did you even read their article? Without a holographic universe, their theory is non-existent.

                        The holographic principle is widely regarded as an essential feature of a successful Theory of Everything. The holographic principle states that gravity in a three-dimensional volume can be described by quantum mechanics on a two-dimensional surface surrounding the volume. In particular, the three dimensions of the volume should emerge from the two dimensions of the surface. However, understanding the precise mechanics for the emergence of the volume from the surface has been elusive.

                        Now, Ooguri and his collaborators have found that quantum entanglement is the key to solving this question. Using a quantum theory (that does not include gravity), they showed how to compute energy density, which is a source of gravitational interactions in three dimensions, using quantum entanglement data on the surface. This is analogous to diagnosing conditions inside of your body by looking at X-ray images on two-dimensional sheets.
                        https://phys.org/news/2015-05-spacet...anglement.html
                        The holographic principle does not describe the universe as a hologram. It is a descriptive term used as an analogous parallel.

                        Source: Holographic principle - Wikipedia
                        [url

                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle][/url]

                        The holographic principle is a tenet of string theories and a supposed property of quantum gravity that states that the description of a volume of space can be thought of as encoded on a lower-dimensional boundary to the region—such as a light-like boundary like a gravitational horizon.

                        © Copyright Original Source



                        Source: https://www.google.com/search?ei=C1wvXdDQO4rPtQadhZKoDw&q=hologram+definition&oq=hologram&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.35i39j0i20i263j0l8.74598.78902..80788...0.0..0.122.1365.12j3....3..0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i67j0i131.CJDnyxfSdFk



                        Hologram - a three-dimensional image formed by the interference of light beams from a laser or other coherent light source.

                        © Copyright Original Source

                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

                        go with the flow the river knows . . .

                        Frank

                        I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          The holographic principle does not describe the universe as a hologram. It is a descriptive term used as an analogous parallel.

                          Source: Holographic principle - Wikipedia
                          [url

                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle][/url]

                          The holographic principle is a tenet of string theories and a supposed property of quantum gravity that states that the description of a volume of space can be thought of as encoded on a lower-dimensional boundary to the region—such as a light-like boundary like a gravitational horizon.

                          © Copyright Original Source



                          Source: https://www.google.com/search?ei=C1wvXdDQO4rPtQadhZKoDw&q=hologram+definition&oq=hologram&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.35i39j0i20i263j0l8.74598.78902..80788...0.0..0.122.1365.12j3....3..0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i67j0i131.CJDnyxfSdFk



                          Hologram - a three-dimensional image formed by the interference of light beams from a laser or other coherent light source.

                          © Copyright Original Source

                          derp. Nobody is saying it is an actual hologram like we create on film - my comment about God's projector was a joke. But it is not exactly an analogy either. The theory actually suggests that the universe works similar to a hologram, that the universe is actually 2 dimensional with our 3D space encoded on it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            derp. Nobody is saying it is an actual hologram like we create on film - my comment about God's projector was a joke. But it is not exactly an analogy either. The theory actually suggests that the universe works similar to a hologram, that the universe is actually 2 dimensional with our 3D space encoded on it.
                            No, using the term 'similar' is the same as an 'analogy' when comparing to a hologram, just certain aspects may be analogous to a hologram. The universe may be described as a 3 dimensional with our 3D space encoded on it, and actually that is what it is. Science is descriptive.

                            I am not sure where this is going, because science does propose that our physical existence is a hologram, except maybe Tom Campbell.
                            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

                            go with the flow the river knows . . .

                            Frank

                            I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              No, using the term 'similar' is the same as an 'analogy' when comparing to a hologram, just certain aspects may be analogous to a hologram. The universe may be described as a 3 dimensional with our 3D space encoded on it, and actually that is what it is. Science is descriptive.
                              You might try actually reading the theory instead of just having a knee-jerk reaction to anything I say.

                              I am not sure where this is going, because science does propose that our physical existence is a hologram, except maybe Tom Campbell.
                              Last edited by Sparko; 07-18-2019, 10:11 AM.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by shunyadragon, 10-27-2020, 03:18 PM
                              0 responses
                              17 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by shunyadragon, 10-17-2020, 05:11 PM
                              7 responses
                              37 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by shunyadragon, 10-09-2020, 09:25 PM
                              0 responses
                              22 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by rogue06, 10-09-2020, 03:29 PM
                              6 responses
                              52 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by shunyadragon, 10-07-2020, 12:11 PM
                              0 responses
                              10 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Working...
                              X