Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

New Bird/Dinosaur intermediate species found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ne bird like dinosaur found in Spain contributing to the diversity of species found that relate to the evolution of birds.

Source: http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/tamarro-insperatus-09426.html

New Bird-Like Dinosaur Identified in Spain

Mar 8, 2021 by Enrico de Lazaro

A new genus and species of troodontid dinosaur that lived 66 million years ago at the very end of the Cretaceous period has been identified from an isolated bone found in Catalonia, Spain.

Life reconstruction of Tamarro insperatus (adults were 1.5-2 m in length and had a mass of 20 kg). Image credit: Oscar Sanisidro / Institut Català de Paleontologia Miquel Crusafont / Museu de la Conca Dellà.

Tamarro insperatus lived in what is known as the Ibero-Armorican island during the latest Maastrichtian age of the Cretaceous period, about 200,000 years before the end-Cretaceous mass extinction.

“During the latest Cretaceous (77-66 million years ago) in the run-up to the end-Cretaceous mass extinction, Europe was a series of islands populated by diverse and distinctive communities of dinosaurs and other vertebrates,” said Dr. Albert Sellés, a paleontologist in the Institut Català de Paleontologia Miquel Crusafon at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona and the Museu de la Conca Dellà, and his colleagues.

“Many of these animals exhibited peculiar features that may have been generated by lack of space and resources in their insular habitats.”

Tamarro insperatus was a type of troodontid (Troodontidae), a group of bird-like theropod dinosaurs that includes kiwi-size (i.e. 0.8 kg for Mei long) to rhea-size species (i.e. 47 kg for Troodon formosus).

“The presence of troodontids in Europe has been debated for a long time, mainly because its record was entirely based on isolated teeth, until now,” the paleontologists said.

“The oldest troodontid evidence in Europe dates back to the Early Cenomanian age (100-94 million years ago) and is based on the discovery of one isolated tooth in western France.”

“The discovery of Tamarro insperatus in the latest Maastrichtian deposits from southern Pyrenees represents the first unequivocal bone evidence of this group of small-sized non-avian theropods in Europe, and confirms the occurrence of troodontids in the theropod faunal assemblage of that continent.”

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Another interesting intermediate species with characteristics of birds and bird-like dinosaurs.

Source: http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/kaririavis-mater-10297.html

Fossil of 115-Million-Year-Old Bird Found in Brazil

Nov 23, 2021 by Sergio Prostak

Kaririavis mater lived in what is now Brazil some 115 million years ago (Early Cretaceous epoch).

Kaririavis mater lived during the Cretaceous period, when the supercontinent Gondwana — which included the South America, Africa, Australia, Antarctica and India — was splitting,” said Dr. Ismar de Souza Carvalho, a paleontologist at the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro and the Universidade de Coimbra, and colleagues.

The new species is a member of Ornithuromorpha, a large group of birds that contains all extinct and living species but not Mesozoic enantiornithes.

“It had both primitive and modern morphological characteristics, making its behavior and ecological niche still mysterious,” the paleontologists said.

“It had coarse feet, very stout toe phalanges, and a claw on the second toe, very curved and proportionately large for its size, unlike those found in most ornithuromorphs, which had slender feet and slender toes.”

The fossilized remains of Kaririavis mater — an isolated right foot with some feathers — were recovered from the Crato Formation at Pedra Branca Mine, in Brazil’s Ceará state.

Its unique foot conformation indicates that it may belong to an unknown ornithuromorph clade with some cursory similarities to living flightless ratites, such as the rhea or the ostrich.

The 115-million-year-old fossilized foot of Kaririavis mater. Image credit: Carvalho et al., doi: 10.1080/02724634.2021.1988623.

According to the scientists, Kaririavis mater is the earliest known member of Ornithuromorpha from Gondwana and the oldest fossil bird from South America.

“The presence of Early Cretaceous ornithuromorphs in Brazil indicates that the clade was widespread in Gondwana during the Mesozoic,” they said.

“The discovery brings light to the discussion on the origin of birds on Earth,” said Professor José Xavier Neto, a researcher at the Universidade Federal do Ceará.

“China is the world’s most important source of primitive bird fossils. But, with this unprecedented discovery, the place of origin of the birds is now not clear and definitive: did the birds appear in China and then fly to Brazil or did they appear in Brazil and then fly to China?”

The discovery of Kaririavis mater is described in a paper published online in the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology.

© Copyright Original Source

_____
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-30-2021, 06:58 AM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Picture of the fossil
        unnamed (1).jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment