Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do elephants "bury" their dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Obviously we cannot know if mourning as humans understand it takes place, but it seems not entirely improbable that other social and highly intelligent mammals such as elephants and orcas do have some concept of death.
    The concept that elephants grieve is not a new one and has been observed.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Like the c- word, it's usage in British English differs from its usage across the pond. Conversely, there's nothing more amusing than listening to an American talk about a fanny pack in London.
      Or run across a woman who is named Fanny (not so common these days).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Or run across a woman who is named Fanny (not so common these days).
        Ignoring my own request I will have to reply to this

As the late and very witty Michael Green noted in The Art of Coarse Acting, an amateur production that contained the lines

Has the doctor seen her, Fanny?

Yes and he has said there is no hope at al
        l

Brought the house down.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

The five elephant calves were all found partially buried, with only the legs showing.

The most surprising finding of this study is the positioning of elephant carcasses during burial. In all five cases, the legs were upright, and the head, trunk, and dorsal parts were fully buried. Due to the limited depth of the irrigation drains in TEs, the legs of the dead calves were visible above ground level (Image 1-5). We observed footsteps of herd members on both sides of the trench and over the soil covering the body, indicating a combined effort in burying the carcasses.

Screenshot 2024-03-19 5.43.27 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-19 5.43.53 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-19 5.44.17 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-19 5.44.35 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-19 5.44.53 PM.png

Caught on trail cam:

ele.jpg

Comment