Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What Killed The Dinosaurs? Asteroid Vs Volcano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Killed The Dinosaurs? Asteroid Vs Volcano

I remember when I was a child the pictures of dinosaurs almost always included volcanoes. At that time volcanics was considered the possible reason for the extinction. Then came along the hypothesis for the meteor impact causing the extinction. The new proposal using AI intelligence is that the Decan Traps volcanics doomed the dinosaurs beginning 300,000 years before the impact event.

Source: https://www.iflscience.com/what-killed-the-dinosaurs-asteroid-vs-volcano-debate-becomes-humans-vs-ai-71738

What Killed The Dinosaurs? Asteroid Vs Volcano Debate Becomes Humans Vs AI

An artificial intelligence thinks volcanism alone could account for the non-avian dinosaurs' demise, but you'll take the asteroid explanation from most palaeontologists' cold dead hands.

The small group of paleontologists that argue an outburst of volcanic activity rather than a massive asteroid impact was the underlying cause of the mass extinction that wiped out the largest animals to walk the Earth has received some inhuman support for their position. Others, however, argue that the way you phrase the question can shape the answer, and what is true for humans applies even more strongly for computers,

To most people, the debate about what killed the non-avian dinosaurs was settled decades ago. We found the impact crater, the layer of metals from the asteroid, and the soot from the fires the impact started, with no dinosaur bones thereafter. Case closed, and to add a few more nails, we've found fossils from the very day the asteroid hit. Yet in the relevant fields, including geology and the biology of the era, a minority remains unconvinced.

Although they acknowledge the asteroid (or comet) was devastating, this group argues the end of the dinosaurs was a slow-moving mass extinction, with global ecology unbalanced by volcanism. Unable to convince the scientific or popular majority, supporters of this view have found a new ally in artificial intelligence (AI).

Dartmouth University graduate student Alex Cox fed more than 100 processors with geological and climatic data from the relevant era and had them explore the fossil record to see what might have caused extinctions around the Cretaceous-Paleogene boundary. The system Cox and his supervisor Dr Brenhin Keller developed implies a different conclusion from most of the thousands of scientists who have explored the same data – but which is more reliable?

Those who favor volcanoes as the true cause of the problem point to the 1.3 million cubic kilometers of basalt known as the Deccan Traps, which were laid down around the same time. Similarly-sized volcanic provinces elsewhere in the world have been associated with previous mass extinctions through the climatic changes unleashed by the gasses that accompanied all that lava.

Much of the debate has been fought over whether dinosaurs and other species were in decline prior to the impact that formed the Chicxulub crater, or if there was just the usual turnover of species.

© Copyright Original Source

I go with the dinos were doomed by volcanics, but the meteor impact finished off any chance of the return
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-28-2023, 09:06 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

I've long been in the camp which holds that while the asteroid was the primary culprit, the massive volcanic activity going on at the time was definitely a contributing factor

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I've long been in the camp which holds that while the asteroid was the primary culprit, the massive volcanic activity going on at the time was definitely a contributing factor
      Or maybe they all became greenies and killed themselves off in order to save the environment?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Or maybe they all became greenies and killed themselves off in order to save the environment?
        I go with the dinos were doomed by volcanics, but the meteor impact finished off any chance of prophecies of the return
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

You're all wrong . . .

larson.jpg
          We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
            You're all wrong . . .

larson.jpg
            Meh.

Or is the truth even darker?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes, the extinction of the dinosaurs was doomed by the Deccan traps, but previous extinctions in the dinosaur era where the larger dinosaurs went extinct. they came back from smaller species After the meteor impact they did not come back,

Frank

Comment

tumblr_inline_p7k2csnNvU1qb25dg_500.jpg

Comment

tumblr_inline_ofcjv0WGqR1qb25dg_1280.jpg

Comment

That one would be good except for the fact that fossilized dinosaur skin and organs have been discovered.

Comment

That one would be good except for the fact that fossilized dinosaur skin and organs have been discovered.
                      Those were the ones who died last, when they ran out of stuff to eat and dug holes looking for food and got trapped. Didn't you see my first picture? duh.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Those were the ones who died last, when they ran out of stuff to eat and dug holes looking for food and got trapped. Didn't you see my first picture? duh.
                        I was commenting on the second one. The first one (along with every other image posted in the thread) I've posted previously at some point, so I'm familiar with it.

Comment

I was commenting on the second one. The first one (along with every other image posted in the thread) I've posted previously at some point, so I'm familiar with it.
                          Yuh! The dinosaurs who were just bones died first, the ones with skin died after they dug the holes and got trapped.

Comment

Am I the only one who's annoyed that they're illustrating a joke about dinosaurs with a mammal fossil?

Please don't tell me I'm the only one who's this pedantic.
                            "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post

Am I the only one who's annoyed that they're illustrating a joke about dinosaurs with a mammal fossil?

Please don't tell me I'm the only one who's this pedantic.
                              IIRC, the time I posted the image I noted that.

Comment