Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Over 299,000 years Homind Homo naledi buried their dead carved symbols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over 299,000 years Homind Homo naledi buried their dead carved symbols

Another Homind speies Homo naledi buried their dead in caves and carved symbols over 200,000 years ago,

Source: https://phys.org/news/2023-06-south-africa-lee-berger-palaeontology.html

The South Africa-based, US-born explorer has turned the study of ancient life upside down, discovering two new species of hominid in less than two decades—hit findings that earned him fame and envy.

In several scientific papers, Berger announced evidence that Homo naledi—one of our Stone Age cousins he previously unveiled—buried their dead and carved symbols on tomb walls.

These would be the oldest interments ever found.

The findings question the current understanding of human evolution, implying that our small-brained, tree-climbing relatives who roamed earth more than 200,000 years ago had cognitive abilities usually associated with modern humans.

"Homo naledi tells us we're not that special," Berger told AFP, perched on a rock outside a cave in the Cradle of Humankind, a world heritage site near Johannesburg, which is the 57-year-old's scientific playground.

The smash revelation is likely to ruffle some feathers in the small, competitive world of paleontology, where Berger has previously faced accusations of lacking scientific rigor and rushing to conclusions.

Some of his colleagues take decades to turn hypotheses into published findings.

"Lee Berger is a very special person," said French palaeoanthropologist Bruno Maureille.

"He may be moving a little too quickly in relation to the long time it takes to understand this type of context".

Bombastic announcements tend to create buzz and attract much-coveted research funding.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-06-2023, 09:53 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

This not the earliest tool use for making symbols, Homo Erectus carved symbols on shells over 500.000 years ago:

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._and_Engraving
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment