Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The possibility of evidence of an earlier universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The possibility of evidence of an earlier universe

There have been possible evidence of an earlier universe, but it was not confirmed. But this evidence of an exploding Red Super Giant 2 billion years after the beginning of our universe is possibly may confirm the existence of an earlier universe, but yes, I believe it it's a maybe . . .

Source: https://scitechdaily.com/secrets-of-an-earlier-universe-revealed-by-red-supergiant-supernova/

Secrets of an Earlier Universe Revealed by Red-Supergiant Supernova

Detailed telescope images help scientists learn more about the Universe two billion years after the Big Bang.

An international research team has measured the size of a star dating back 2 billion years after the Big Bang, or more than 11 billion years ago. Detailed images show the exploding star cooling and could help scientists learn more about the stars and galaxies that existed in the early Universe.

Led by researchers at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, the study was published recently in Nature, the world’s leading peer-reviewed, multidisciplinary science journal.

“This is the first detailed look at a supernova at a much earlier epoch of the Universe’s evolution,” said Patrick Kelly, a lead author of the paper and an associate professor in the University of Minnesota School of Physics and Astronomy. “It’s very exciting because we can learn in detail about an individual star when the Universe was less than a fifth of its current age, and begin to understand if the stars that existed many billions of years ago are different from the ones nearby.”

The red supergiant in question was about 500 times larger than the sun, and it’s located at redshift three, which is about 60 times farther away than any other supernova observed in this detail.

An international research team led by the University of Minnesota Twin Cities has measured the size of a star dating back more than 11 billion years ago using images that show the evolution of the star exploding and cooling. The above image shows the light from the supernova behind the galaxy cluster Abell 370. Credit: Wenlei Chen, NASA

Using data from the Hubble Space Telescope with follow-up spectroscopy using the University of Minnesota’s access to the Large Binocular Telescope, the researchers were able to identify multiple detailed images of the red supergiant because of a phenomenon called gravitational lensing, where mass, such as that in a galaxy, bends light. This magnifies the light emitted from the star.

“The gravitational lens acts as a natural magnifying glass and multiplies Hubble’s power by a factor of eight,” Kelly said. “Here, we see three images. Even though they can be seen at the same time, they show the supernova as it was at different ages separated by several days. We see the supernova rapidly cooling, which allows us to basically reconstruct what happened and study how the supernova cooled in its first few days with just one set of images. It enables us to see a rerun of a supernova.”

The researchers combined this discovery with another one of Kelly’s supernova discoveries from 2014 to estimate how many stars were exploding when the Universe was a small fraction of its current age. They found that there were likely many more supernovae than previously thought.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

There's absolutely nothing in the body of that article that has anything to do with the headline, which seems to have just been completely made up. Did you actually read the whole thing before posting this?
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
      There's absolutely nothing in the body of that article that has anything to do with the headline, which seems to have just been completely made up. Did you actually read the whole thing before posting this?
      "an earlier universe" appears to refer to "the universe as it was earlier," not "a universe that existed before this one."
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Yes
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

"an earlier universe" appears to refer to "the universe as it was earlier," not "a universe that existed before this one."
          Appears to?!?!? Nothing in the article refers to "the universe as it was earlier." You appear to be putting something in quotes that is not in the article.

The existence of a supernova red giant that is older than the possible 2 billion age of the universe. I believe the possibility of a multiverse is if we find objects like the Red Giant that is older than our universe. In part, it depends on what we consider 'the universe.' Yes, at the time there may be more to our universe than the present observed expansion of the universe described as originating from a possible singularity.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-17-2023, 06:30 AM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Appears to?!?!? Nothing in the article refers to "the universe as it was earlier." You appear to be putting something in quotes that is not in the article.

The existence of a supernova red giant that is older than the possible 2 billion age of the universe. I believe the possibility of a multiverse is if we find objects like the Red Giant that is older than our universe. In part, it depends on what we consider 'the universe.' Yes, at the time there may be more to our universe than the present observed expansion of the universe described as originating from a possible singularity.
            the first line from the article you cited:
            An international research team has measured the size of a star dating back 2 billion years after the Big Bang, or more than 11 billion years ago.

Where does this 2 billion year age for the universe come from?
            AFAIK, this universe is estimated to be 13.7 billion years old.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Shuny, the universe is 14 Billion years old, not 2 Billion. The article is talking about an earlier period of the universe dating to 2 billion years AFTER THE BIG BANG.

An international research team has measured the size of a star dating back 2 billion years after the Big Bang, or more than 11 billion years ago.

Comment

“This is the first detailed look at a supernova at a much earlier epoch of the Universe’s evolution,”

You appear to have misread the article.

It isn't talking about an earlier universe but the universe at a much earlier point in its history.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Ah, my misinterpretation then. Terrible phrasing, though.
                  "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Ah, my misinterpretation then. Terrible phrasing, though.
                    It is.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

There have been possible evidence of an earlier universe, but it was not confirmed. But this evidence of an exploding Red Super Giant 2 billion years after the beginning of our universe is possibly may confirm the existence of an earlier universe, but yes, I believe it it's a maybe . . .

[cite=https://scitechdaily.com/secrets-of-an-earlier-universe-revealed-by-red-supergiant-supernova/]

Secrets of an Earlier Universe Revealed by Red-Supergiant Supernova
                      Sadly not........ shunyadragon........ the article is reporting on secrets of our universe when it was only 2 billion years old, and not causing any other.....

I have read that stars were much larger in the early universe because they 'initially' only contained hydrogen, producing helium. They were huge. When the helium was exhausted then the huge star shrank until pressures, heats and forces activated the next sequence of fusion (I forget which atom was fused from Helium), and then upward through the atomic table through 26 cycles until iron was reached, at which point the gravitational forces caused the star to implode until it exploded in to Super-Nova.

Our Sun can't do more than produce Helium from Hydrogen.... that's it. But it contains nearly all of the atoms on the periodic table because it was formed from a giant star which had previously produced them all, either before or during the super-nova.

Comment