Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Monkey tool construction raises questions about early humans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monkey tool construction raises questions about early humans

Researchers have discovered that a type of monkey in Thai forests today, known as long-tailed macaques, can, in the words of the paper's co-author, Lydia Luncz of the Technological Primates Research Group, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Germany, produce stone artifacts "indistinguishable from what we see at the beginning of the [human] archeological record -- what we see as the onset of being human."

And while tool use in nonhuman primates is nothing new, what makes this discovery even more vexatious is that it appears that the macaques made their artifacts by accident rather than by design.
    seem to have made their artifacts by accident, not by design. But in many ways, that only makes the finding more disruptive.

IOW, the fact that these monkeys create stone artifacts by accident that are nearly identical to those that were crafted by the earliest humans, suggests the possibility that what has been assumed to be a critical hallmark of human tool use actually happened by accident -- thereby seriously blurring the line between tool use by early humans and our primate relatives.

Of course anyone expecting crisp, clear delineations in things like this is just going to end up frustrated. Anthropology, much like biology, is gloriously messy.

Source: What Stone-Wielding Macaques Can Tell Us about Early Human Tool Use

Macaques using stones to open oil palm nuts can accidentally create stone flakes that look like early human tools

33264ce1-a9ee-4122-9461-c9aa63986fa6.jpg
    A sharp-edged flake accidentally produced by a long-tailed macaque during nut cracking

Consider the possibility that all human technology started with a mistake—or at least a lack of hand-eye coordination. In pursuit of this idea, Lydia Luncz and Tomos Proffitt, both at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, traveled to an abandoned oil palm plantation near Thailand’s Phang Nga Bay and collected nut-cracking stones used by a resident troop of long-tailed macaques. Macaques bash open oil palm nuts by placing them on a flat stone and striking their shell with another stone. These monkeys often miss the nut and unintentionally break the stones, producing sharp flakes. In a new study, Luncz and Proffitt argue that such mistakenly created flakes may have been our ancient ancestors’ or other now extinct early human relatives’ first step toward creating the sharp-edged tools that they used to butcher animals and cut edible plants. In other words, these are the type of tools that set our species on its evolutionary course to become ever more productive hunter-gatherers and technological tinkerers.

Macaques are one of three modern nonhuman primate species that use stone tools (the other two are chimpanzees and capuchin monkeys). Luncz and Proffitt have been studying the idea that sharp flakes accidentally produced from activities such as nut cracking might have led hominins—a group that includes humans and their extinct ancestors and close relatives—to intentionally make flakes for tools. “This is a completely wild behavior,” Proffitt says. “And it’s a behavior to get food. So in that sense, you can then start to say this could have been a mechanism for the emergence of flake technology.”

For their study, which was published on Friday in Science Advances, the international team of researchers collected more than 1,100 pieces of stone the macaques in Thailand had used to break open oil palm nuts and compared them with archaeological collections from some of the earliest known stone tool sites in Tanzania, Kenya and Ethiopia. Their analysis revealed a surprising fact: The flakes that the macaques unintentionally produced looked a lot like the oldest stone tools that were intentionally made by hominins: Lomekwian and Oldowan stone tool assemblages, which were discovered at sites dating between 3.3 million and 1.5 million years ago. “If we would take the kind of assemblage that we find with the macaques and we would drop them somewhere in East Africa, everybody would think they were definitely made by early hominins,” Luncz says.

Long-tailed macaques in the Ao Phang Nga National Park in Thailand cracking oil palm nuts using stone hammers and anvils.

Luncz and Proffitt have found similar results with stone flakes produced by capuchin monkeys in Brazil’s Serra da Capivara National Park. “What is super exciting is that we find another primate species on the other side of the world showing us exactly the same phenomenon,” Luncz says. “You don’t need a ginormous large brain to make sharp cutting tools. The challenge is in using the stone tools. I think that’s where the difference lies.” That difference shows up when the collection of macaque tools and flakes are compared with tools from Lomekwian or Oldowan sites. Macaques don’t use the sharp flakes they create for anything, Luncz says, noting that the monkeys have sharp teeth and don’t need cutting tools. The ancient stone tools, however, show evidence of being used for cutting tasks.

“I think this study is useful because it really brings home the point that people need to do careful behavioral interpretation of their artifacts,” says Thomas Plummer, a paleoanthropologist at Queens College, City University of New York, who was not part of Luncz and Proffitt’s team. Plummer is part of a research group that is studying fossil sites in Nyayanga, Kenya. Excavations at those sites, dating to between three million and 2.6 million years ago, have turned up Oldowan tools, as well as two teeth from an extinct species of hominin. The researchers analyzed use-wear patterns on the tools and found that some were employed for pounding and processing plant foods. Some of the flakes also showed damage along their edges, indicating that they had been used for cutting. Cut marks on hippopotamus bones and a fossil of a species of bovine revealed that hominins had used stone tools for butchering the animals, making it clear that the sharp stone tools were anything but unintentional by-products of other pounding activities. That does not necessarily mean those tools were made by a human ancestor, though.

The hominin teeth that were found with Oldowan tools in Nyayanga belonged to a member of the genus Paranthropus, which is on a different branch of the human family tree than the one leading to Homo sapiens. Oldowan tools had been found with Paranthropus at other sites, including the Frida Leakey Korongo Zinj (FLK Zinj) site in Tanzania’s Olduvai Gorge, where the first Paranthropus fossils were discovered. At the time paleoanthropologist Louis Leakey argued that a more direct relative of humans that was found nearby, the slightly larger-brained Homo habilis, must have made the Oldowan tools. And he proposed stone toolmaking as one of the criteria for separating humans from other apes. But evidence from sites such as Nyayanga is starting to point to both Paranthropus and H. habilis being a toolmaker. And the assemblages that macaques and capuchin monkeys create suggest that stone tool use may have begun much earlier in evolutionary history than previously thought. Humans last shared a common ancestor with capuchin monkeys about 35 million years ago and with macaques about 25 million years ago, Luncz says. “I would be surprised if stone tool use was a very new development in the hominin lineage,” she says.

Luncz and Proffitt hope to ultimately learn how primates made the leap from accidentally producing sharp flakes to picking them up and using them. But for the time being, scientists can only speculate. Plummer suggests a scenario in which a group of hominins came across the carcass of an animal and used stones to break open its bones and get at the nutrient-rich marrow: During that process, a hominin missed the bone and knocked a sharp flake loose from the stone it was using. Then that hominin had the idea to use that flake to cut meat from the carcass. “It could be the hominins were just experimenting,” Plummer says.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

The entire paper, Wild macaques challenge the origin of intentional tool production, can be read by clicking the hyperlink although I still made the abstract from it available below.

Abstract

Intentionally produced sharp-edged stone flakes and flaked pieces are our primary evidence for the emergence of technology in our lineage. This evidence is used to decipher the earliest hominin behavior, cognition, and subsistence strategies. Here, we report on the largest lithic assemblage associated with a primate foraging behavior undertaken by long-tailed macaques (Macaca fascicularis). This behavior results in a landscape-wide record of flaked stone material, almost indistinguishable from early hominin flaked pieces and flakes. It is now clear that the production of unintentional conchoidal sharp-edged flakes can result from tool-assisted foraging in nonhominin primates. Comparisons with Plio-Pleistocene lithic assemblages, dating from 3.3 to 1.56 million years ago, show that flakes produced by macaques fall within the technological range of artifacts made by early hominins. In the absence of behavioral observations, the assemblage produced by monkeys would likely be identified as anthropogenic in origin and interpreted as evidence of intentional tool production.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Well, crap.

planet-of-the-apes-ending.jpg

Comment

I disagree that this is that sensational as far as the tool use and/or making by primates today.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_use_by_animals#:~:text=The%20use%20of%20tools%20by%20primates%20is%20varied%20and%20includes,probably%20represents%20higher%20cognitive%20functioning.

Primates[edit]

A western lowland gorilla, G. g. gorilla, using a stick possibly to gauge the depth of water

Tool use has been reported many times in both wild and captive primates, particularly the great apes. The use of tools by primates is varied and includes hunting (mammals, invertebrates, fish), collecting honey, processing food (nuts, fruits, vegetables and seeds), collecting water, weapons and shelter.

Tool manufacture is much rarer than simple tool use and probably represents higher cognitive functioning. Soon after her initial discovery of tool use, Goodall observed other chimpanzees picking up leafy twigs, stripping off the leaves and using the stems to fish for insects. This change of a leafy twig into a tool was a major discovery. Prior to this, scientists thought that only humans manufactured and used tools, and that this ability was what separated humans from other animals.[24] In 1990, it was claimed the only primate to manufacture tools in the wild was the chimpanzee.[25] However, since then, several primates have been reported as tool makers in the wild.[26]

Both bonobos and chimpanzees have been observed making "sponges" out of leaves and moss that suck up water and using these for grooming. Sumatran orangutans will take a live branch, remove twigs and leaves and sometimes the bark, before fraying or flattening the tip for use on ants or bees.[27] In the wild, mandrills have been observed to clean their ears with modified tools. Scientists filmed a large male mandrill at Chester Zoo (UK) stripping down a twig, apparently to make it narrower, and then using the modified stick to scrape dirt from underneath his toenails.[28] Captive gorillas have made a variety of tools.[29]

The list is very long for the creative ability of primates to make and use tools.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        I disagree that this is that sensational as far as the tool use and/or making by primates today.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_use_by_animals#:~:text=The%20use%20of%20tools%20by%20primates%20is%20varied%20and%20includes,probably%20represents%20higher%20cognitive%20functioning.

Primates[edit]

A western lowland gorilla, G. g. gorilla, using a stick possibly to gauge the depth of water

Tool use has been reported many times in both wild and captive primates, particularly the great apes. The use of tools by primates is varied and includes hunting (mammals, invertebrates, fish), collecting honey, processing food (nuts, fruits, vegetables and seeds), collecting water, weapons and shelter.

Tool manufacture is much rarer than simple tool use and probably represents higher cognitive functioning. Soon after her initial discovery of tool use, Goodall observed other chimpanzees picking up leafy twigs, stripping off the leaves and using the stems to fish for insects. This change of a leafy twig into a tool was a major discovery. Prior to this, scientists thought that only humans manufactured and used tools, and that this ability was what separated humans from other animals.[24] In 1990, it was claimed the only primate to manufacture tools in the wild was the chimpanzee.[25] However, since then, several primates have been reported as tool makers in the wild.[26]

Both bonobos and chimpanzees have been observed making "sponges" out of leaves and moss that suck up water and using these for grooming. Sumatran orangutans will take a live branch, remove twigs and leaves and sometimes the bark, before fraying or flattening the tip for use on ants or bees.[27] In the wild, mandrills have been observed to clean their ears with modified tools. Scientists filmed a large male mandrill at Chester Zoo (UK) stripping down a twig, apparently to make it narrower, and then using the modified stick to scrape dirt from underneath his toenails.[28] Captive gorillas have made a variety of tools.[29]

The list is very long for the creative ability of primates to make and use tools.
        That isn't the issue here.

It's how some of the earliest tools were designed. It was assumed that we deliberately shaped them but now that has been drawn into question.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          That isn't the issue here.

It's how some of the earliest tools were designed. It was assumed that we deliberately shaped them but now that has been drawn into question.
          I assume by the present evidence they were shaped and designed by our ancestor humanoids.. It is best to correlate the earliest tools found with other evidence such as fossils. It is possible some primitive tools were made by ancestors of other lineages of primates. I do not consider it controversial that other primates today cand make primitive tools and possibly their ancestors.
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

It has been known for some time a primate had to be able to select the right stone of the right hardness to break open the husk of a nut.

Frank

Comment

Did you read the OP?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Did you read the OP?
                Yes.

Frank

Comment