Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Fountains of the Great Deep...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
    The Fountains hypothesis sounds a whole lot more likely to explain the scale, spread, and persistence of water at that depth than 'icy meteor impacts', even over a very long period of time. Asking me to believe that a meteor made the dinosaurs extinct is reasonable, asking me to believe that therefore meteors explain all of the subterranean water around the world is not.
    It doesn't sound a whole lot more likely to me given that I have some knowledge of mineral formation and the inclusion of H2O in the crystal structure of ultramafic minerals. It takes a molten or at least plastic state for this to happen. Were the oceans boiling during and the Greate Fludde? Noah and crew would have needed some gnarly thermal insulation and that "gopher wood" must have been amazingly refractory for a cellulose product.

These icy meteor impacts would have occurred over tens of millions of years. The Greate Fludde would have to do it in a few weeks.

Comment

The issue for the Flood hypothesis and "Fountains of the Deep" (whatever those actually are) is the mobility of water from the Diluvian brackish oceans (what happened to them fishes?) to make its way down to the upper mantle and react to form these hydrated olivines.

You know there are lots of hydrocarbon molecules on Earth -- probably enough for a few hundred years -- but most are in such a state of dispersion that extraction is impossible without spending the GDPs of the entire world for a few billion barrels. And that's even a very weak analogy.

Comment

Confirmed!

But YEC's never came up with any good ideas of scientific-historical models, right?
        Just read this carefully for the first time. How is this discovery a "scientific-historical model"? A model would need to provide a mechanism for how that dissociated water got 200+ miles below the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post

Any idea how this bound water was released and how it got back to the upper mantle without tremendous heat to drive the chemical reactions?
          Listen smartypants, God released it to the surface. Then He pushed it back down into the ground. God can cause tremendous heat and leave no evidence if He wants.

Comment

Confirmed!

But YEC's never came up with any good ideas of scientific-historical models, right?
            Can you link to the YEC model that explains how the water flooded the earth? That article describes the presence of more water than we knew existed, but not the natural force that would expel it to the surface.

Comment

Wait, wait, wait ... wasn't this thread a joke?

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                An inadvertent joke, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                  At first I wondered if it was a duplication for those of us who can't post in Protology. Then I saw that Epo posted it from a position that at least seemed sympathetic to YEC, so naturally I was confused.

But I'm always confused so this post was really meaningless.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

YEC evidence and Jokes - Poe's Law?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      At first I wondered if it was a duplication for those of us who can't post in Protology. Then I saw that Epo posted it from a position that at least seemed sympathetic to YEC, so naturally I was confused.

But I'm always confused so this post was really meaningless.
                      Maybe he transitioned to YEC like RC Sproul did? Stranger things have happened.

Comment