Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Six Mass Extinctions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tabibito
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Did I break this thread by mentioning one out of order?
    Sort of. Most of my photos turned out to be unusable. However:

Nilpena and the wider sites around Parachilna are considered so unique and important to our understanding of the origins of life on Earth that a new geological period was declared in 2004 – the first in 120 years.

The Ediacaran Era, sandwiched neatly between the Cryogenian and Cambrian eras, spans 630 to 542 million years ago.

Ediacara itself is 520km or so due north of Adelaide.

Aspidella.jpg

Dickinsonia.jpg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    They originated in the Early Cambrian and went extinct during the Permian-Triassic Extinction event (thought to be the worst), so they were around for over a quarter of a billion years (give or take a few weeks).
    Did I break this thread by mentioning one out of order?

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by tabibito View Post

It's the Quaternary extinction, listed as the sixth. So far its only tens of thousands of years in progress.
    I realize they are close, but I would call this current extinction different from the Quaternary extinction, because the cause is distinctly different, human impact of over population plus human caused global warming,

The Quaternary extinction actually began 130,000 years ago with the natural climate change. The emphasis as to whether climate change or human cause by Neolithic humans is controversial. Humans may have had an impact as their numbers decreased recently below the healthy survival limits of the populations, but by the evidence most of the megafauna was already doomed with decreased populations.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-15-2023, 10:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    By the evidence as far as extinction events we are experiencing number 7 now.
    It's the Quaternary extinction, listed as the sixth. So far its only tens of thousands of years in progress.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    By the evidence as far as extinction events we are experiencing number 7 now.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

? The museum write-up implies that trilobites were around in the Ordovician (top paragraph, right), and survived through the first of the mass extinctions (top paragraph, left)
    They originated in the Early Cambrian and went extinct during the Permian-Triassic Extinction event (thought to be the worst), so they were around for over a quarter of a billion years (give or take a few weeks).

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied

Trilobites first appeared in the Early Cambrian

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say maybe a Sprigginia (which some think is a precursor/ancestor of trilobites)
    ? The museum write-up implies that trilobites were around in the Ordovician (top paragraph, right), and survived through the first of the mass extinctions (top paragraph, left)
    Last edited by tabibito; 01-18-2023, 08:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

From what I remember, it's one of the blue things (bottom right)

excerpt.jpg
    spriggina-fossil-222psd.jpg

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say maybe a Sprigginia (which some think is a precursor/ancestor of trilobites)

Spriggina,_Ediacaran_metazoan,_Vendian,_Ediacara_Hills,_south_Australia_-_Houston_Museum_of_Natural_Science_-_DSC01385.JPG
    From what I remember, it's one of the blue things (bottom right)

excerpt.jpg

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

I haven't sifted through all the photos yet, but I have a vague recollection of it being a trilobite.

Spriggina,_Ediacaran_metazoan,_Vendian,_Ediacara_Hills,_south_Australia_-_Houston_Museum_of_Natural_Science_-_DSC01385.JPG

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    DSC02833.JPGDSC02834.JPG

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    Not sure what the first one is but the second is easily recognizable as Dickinsonia, and from the Late Ediacaran (before the Cambrian Period)

I understand that mossy thought they made for a cute beret.
    I haven't sifted through all the photos yet, but I have a vague recollection of it being a trilobite.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    DSC02858.JPG
    DSC02856.JPG

Forgot to photograph the information - I think these are from the Ediacaran Era.
    Not sure what the first one is but the second is easily recognizable as Dickinsonia, and from the Late Ediacaran (before the Cambrian Period)

I understand that mossy thought they made for a cute beret.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    DSC02858.JPG
    DSC02856.JPG

Forgot to photograph the information - I think these are from the Ediacaran Era.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Looks like a menu. Maybe CP can light the barby.
    I think I'll go with the Velocirabbit cutlets sautéed in Sea Flap Flap juice over some Danger Noodles. Oh. Can I get a couple of Ouch Muffins with that?

Leave a comment: