Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Six Mass Extinctions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

? The museum write-up implies that trilobites were around in the Ordovician (top paragraph, right), and survived through the first of the mass extinctions (top paragraph, left)
    They originated in the Early Cambrian and went extinct during the Permian-Triassic Extinction event (thought to be the worst), so they were around for over a quarter of a billion years (give or take a few weeks).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

By the evidence as far as extinction events we are experiencing number 7 now.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        By the evidence as far as extinction events we are experiencing number 7 now.
        It's the Quaternary extinction, listed as the sixth. So far its only tens of thousands of years in progress.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

It's the Quaternary extinction, listed as the sixth. So far its only tens of thousands of years in progress.
          I realize they are close, but I would call this current extinction different from the Quaternary extinction, because the cause is distinctly different, human impact of over population plus human caused global warming,

The Quaternary extinction actually began 130,000 years ago with the natural climate change. The emphasis as to whether climate change or human cause by Neolithic humans is controversial. Humans may have had an impact as their numbers decreased recently below the healthy survival limits of the populations, but by the evidence most of the megafauna was already doomed with decreased populations.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-15-2023, 10:47 PM.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            They originated in the Early Cambrian and went extinct during the Permian-Triassic Extinction event (thought to be the worst), so they were around for over a quarter of a billion years (give or take a few weeks).
            Did I break this thread by mentioning one out of order?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Did I break this thread by mentioning one out of order?
              Sort of. Most of my photos turned out to be unusable. However:

Nilpena and the wider sites around Parachilna are considered so unique and important to our understanding of the origins of life on Earth that a new geological period was declared in 2004 – the first in 120 years.

The Ediacaran Era, sandwiched neatly between the Cryogenian and Cambrian eras, spans 630 to 542 million years ago.

Ediacara itself is 520km or so due north of Adelaide.

Aspidella.jpg

Dickinsonia.jpg
              Attached Files
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment