Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Shingles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You missed scarlet fever? We had that, as well.
    We also got small pox vaccines because that was "still around"

How we lined up in school first getting a shot with one of them new fangled air needle thingies in both arms. Then later on they issued sugar cubes containing whatever it was.

A far more innocent and trusting time.

When we were told this would protect us from a Russian nuke

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

How we lined up in school first getting a shot with one of them new fangled air needle thingies in both arms. Then later on they issued sugar cubes containing whatever it was.

I tried to get the teacher to let me take my magic desk home at night.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I got the ol' pox-vax when I was too young to remember getting it. I remember comparing "vaccination marks" with some of my cousins years after the fact.

And I vaguely recall something that required me to consume... something sugary. Boy, that memory is almost totally inaccessible.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I was miserable with chicken pox. Had 'em in my scalp, in my throat, all over.

But mumps was fun. Several days off school with barely noticeable discomfort.
          My mother always warned me that I never had the mumps and never was inoculated. At my age now, the side effects aren't any concern.

Comment

Hi Ronson are you better now, have you needed to use anything topical? My Mom used Calamine lotion on us as children when we had chickenpox and perhaps because of this link you can get relief from using this inexpensive and effective lotion too.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
              Hi Ronson are you better now, have you needed to use anything topical? My Mom used Calamine lotion on us as children when we had chickenpox and perhaps because of this link you can get relief from using this inexpensive and effective lotion too.
              I've been using a pad with hydrogen peroxide + tramadol. Wife brought home some calamine but I haven't tried it yet. I'm pretty comfortable right now. Thanks for the suggestion! Plus antibiotics for one spot that appears infected.

Oh, and 3 doses of Tagamet per day
              Last edited by Ronson; 01-06-2023, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Because of my immune problems,I can't get the shingles shot because it is a live virus vaccine. It could actually give me shingles.
                So I talked to my doctor about this. there are two vaccines: Zostavax which contains the live weakened virus and Shingrix which contains the dead virus, so she said I could and should get the Shingrix vaccine.

Comment

So I talked to my doctor about this. there are two vaccines: Zostavax which contains the live weakened virus and Shingrix which contains the dead virus, so she said I could and should get the Shingrix vaccine.
                  I think I'll opt for the Shingrix as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I think I'll opt for the Shingrix as well.
                    Yeah, I'm overdue to get this, but my understanding is that the immune reaction is strong, and you feel pretty rough for a couple of days. So I'm waiting until I have a couple of days where I can afford to feel awful.
                    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post

Yeah, I'm overdue to get this, but my understanding is that the immune reaction is strong, and you feel pretty rough for a couple of days. So I'm waiting until I have a couple of days where I can afford to feel awful.
                      It probably depends on the person. My brother got one of these two (not sure which, I'll check) and he didn't report anything unusual. He's always had a better immune system than me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post

I had the shingles shot a couple years ago - no noticeable side effects at all.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, that sounds reassuring. Maybe I'll aim for later this week on it.
                          "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

I got the first Shingrix shot yesterday (get another one in 2 months). So far the only reaction is a sore shoulder where I got the shot.

Comment

I got the first Shingrix shot yesterday (get another one in 2 months). So far the only reaction is a sore shoulder where I got the shot.
                              Got the 2nd shot yesterday. Again sore arm. No other reaction.

I remember when my friend's daughter caught chicken pox when she was 7 or 8. I asked her, "Does that mean you are going to turn into a chicken?" She looked at me deadpan and said "Do you SEE any feathers?"

Comment