Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Shingles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shingles

Got it. Not sure what to do about it (not able to get in anywhere as far as a healthcare provider over this holiday weekend).

I start back to work tomorrow. Any suggestions here from previous sufferers?

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    Got it. Not sure what to do about it (not able to get in anywhere as far as a healthcare provider over this holiday weekend).

All I know is the longer you wait generally the worse and longer the outbreak.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I can get in tomorrow to get some antibiotics, but my only option today would be an urgent care or ER, and I'm not doing that. My new insurance doesn't even kick in until next week so I am out of pocket at the moment.

Comment

I'm reminded of all the "If you had the Chicken Pox, the virus that causes Shingles is already inside you" commercials. As the Marxist would say, commodified PTSD.
        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

I sucked it up and got the "shingles shot" a couple years ago. I may regret it, but after seeing a church member agonize in pain over shingles with little to no relief, I decided I'd risk it.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I sucked it up and got the "shingles shot" a couple years ago. I may regret it, but after seeing a church member agonize in pain over shingles with little to no relief, I decided I'd risk it.
            My doctor recommended the shingles shot last spring. I shrugged it off, I wish I hadn't.

The people whom I've known to have had it (none are available to talk to anymore) said it was pretty awful, lasted about three weeks. I'd be surprised if the one person ever took antibiotics, though, because he was an anti-drug character. If it doesn't spread much beyond where it is now, I'll be OK and should even be able to work. It isn't really all that painful, more like a slight burning sensation, like a moderate sunburn.

Comment

My doctor recommended the shingles shot last spring. I shrugged it off, I wish I hadn't.

The people whom I've known to have had it (none are available to talk to anymore) said it was pretty awful, lasted about three weeks. I'd be surprised if the one person ever took antibiotics, though, because he was an anti-drug character. If it doesn't spread much beyond where it is now, I'll be OK and should even be able to work. It isn't really all that painful, more like a slight burning sensation, like a moderate sunburn.
              I just know that this one particular man got it fairly often, and it was always ---- in his words --- "like testing what it'd be like in Hell".
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

FWIW, YMMV, and all that -- LEF Protocol for shingles and other herpetic infections.

Conventional Treatment

Antiviral medication (acyclovir, famciclovir, or valacyclovir) is the first line of treatment for both shingles and herpes.

Shingles:
                • Pain medication, including non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, acetaminophen, or opioids, may be used for pain management
                • Topical capsaicin may be used to treat postherpetic neuralgia, or prolonged pain after blisters are gone.
                Allegedly, "Advil Dual-Action" is comparable to opioids in effectiveness. You can approximately "fake your own" by taking 1 normal (200 mg) generic ibuprofen + 1 generic 500 mg acetaminophen. That would be *roughly* equivalent to a single two-tablet dose of Advil Dual-Action.

Emerging Treatments
                • Two vaccines are now commercially available for the prevention of shingles outbreaks (Zostavax and Shingrix). An effective vaccine against HSV-1 and HSV-2 has been elusive, but early stage clinical trials suggest a new vaccine (GEN-003) may be effective against HSV-2.
                • Topical microbicides that have antiviral properties, such as tenofovir gel, may prevent the spread of herpes virus.
                • Cimetidine, commonly used for treating acid reflux, may reduce the severity and duration of shingles outbreaks, but large-scale clinical trials are still needed.
                Tagamet details.

Targeted Natural Interventions
                • Vitamin C: Vitamin C can reduce the risk for prolonged pain (postherpetic neuralgia) after shingles outbreaks.
                • Reishi mushroom: Reishi may help with the rapid resolution of symptoms associated with shingles, oral herpes, and genital herpes outbreaks by promoting a robust immune response.
                • Vitamin A: Vitamin A may reduce the amount of HSV shed in the genital tract of infected women. Ask your healthcare provider before beginning any vitamin A supplementation.
                • Vitamin D: Higher serum vitamin D levels are associated with increased immunity to HSV, and supplementation may help lower the odds of developing herpes or shingles outbreaks.
                • Zinc: Zinc solutions can prevent HSV entry into cells and reduce shedding of the virus in the genitals. Topical solutions may also reduce the duration and severity of herpes outbreaks.
                • Lysine: Higher doses of lysine (>3 grams/day) may prevent HSV infection and reduce the duration and severity of outbreaks.
                • Propolis: Propolis and other bee products, including honey, may decrease the severity and duration of herpes symptoms. These products can be considered as an alternative or supplement to acyclovir treatment.
                • Probiotics: Probiotic strains of bacteria may improve the anti-HSV immune response and promote more rapid resolution of symptoms.

Most of those are reasonably available, and relatively inexpensive and safe, at least in the short term.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

If it shows up anywhere on your face, don't diddle around. Get it treated ASAP. If it spreads, you can lose vision or hearing.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

If it shows up anywhere on your face, don't diddle around. Get it treated ASAP. If it spreads, you can lose vision or hearing.
                    Yes, I've been reading as much as possible and ran across that warning. In fact, I learned my sister-in-law has a friend who completely lost her sight in one eye due to shingles.

I just got back from the pharmacy with Cimetidine 200. Your link on that was impressive and I thought I'd give that a try. If it works as suggested (as with 18-out-of-21 trial patients) then I should see some pretty rapid relief.

Comment

I had it at age 22. It was one of the worst weeks of my life to that point.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        I had it at age 22. It was one of the worst weeks of my life to that point.
                        So far, nothing comes close to the agony I experienced when I threw my back out for the first time. I was 24 at the time, got it from wrestling. Just getting out of bed in the morning took 15 minutes as I slowly wiggled down the foot of the bed to drop my knees over. I had to walk with a cane for a week or so after I got my spine straightened back out. Scale of 1-to-10, it was a 10. Nearly passed out several times. And it was relentless.

Comment

Because of my immune problems,I can't get the shingles shot because it is a live virus vaccine. It could actually give me shingles.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Because of my immune problems,I can't get the shingles shot because it is a live virus vaccine. It could actually give me shingles.
                            Would it be more likely to give you chicken pox? I vaguely recall that people with "oozing" shingles blisters can potentially pass chicken pox to people who have never had it/them.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Would it be more likely to give you chicken pox? I vaguely recall that people with "oozing" shingles blisters can potentially pass chicken pox to people who have never had it/them.
                              That is what I am being told. I had to make sure everyone in my house is immune before proceeding, in case special care was needed.

Comment