Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why Not Water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Big Oil's business is oil so I'd expect that their overwhelming expenditures would be in that direction. I'm talking about percentage of what is being invested in renewables, not including by government.
    No, definitely not there. Most solar and onshore wind is being built by utilities. Offshore wind tends to be driven by utility partnerships with European companies like Ørsted (which sold off its oil and gas holdings to focus on offshore wind). And, as far as I can tell, none of the Chinese oil companies are doing anything with renewables, and China is #1 in the world in terms of both solar and wind installed.

Shell and BP are the only firms that have done significant investing in renewable energy, and they're mostly just buying stakes in renewable companies that already existed. It's a bit like if I were to run commercials saying I'm going green because some of the funds in my retirement savings happen to have stocks in renewable companies.
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
      Well, it would save you some time to just assume I'm always right....
      Except when you're wrong.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Except when you're wrong.
        It would still save time then!
        "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment