Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The predictability of evolution.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The predictability of evolution.

In many threads, I have argued that other than the randomness of the timing of individual outcomes of individual cause and effect events the processes of evolution and actually the entire nature of our physical existence is not random. The following article addresses this issue. I question some of the terminologies, but the article does refer to some new analysis of the research and genetics of evolution.

[cite=https://scitechdaily.com/yale-study-suggests-that-evolution-can-be-predicted/]

Evolution might be less random than we thought.

Evolution has long been thought of as a relatively random process, with species’ features being formed by random mutations and environmental factors and thus largely unpredictable.

But an international team of scientists headed by researchers from Yale University and Columbia University discovered that a specific plant lineage independently developed three similar leaf types repeatedly in mountainous places scattered across the Neotropics.

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    In many threads, I have argued that other than the randomness of the timing of individual outcomes of individual cause and effect events the processes of evolution and actually the entire nature of our physical existence is not random. The following article addresses this issue. I question some of the terminologies, but the article does refer to some new analysis of the research and genetics of evolution.

[cite=https://scitechdaily.com/yale-study-suggests-that-evolution-can-be-predicted/]

Evolution might be less random than we thought.

Evolution has long been thought of as a relatively random process, with species’ features being formed by random mutations and environmental factors and thus largely unpredictable.

But an international team of scientists headed by researchers from Yale University and Columbia University discovered that a specific plant lineage independently developed three similar leaf types repeatedly in mountainous places scattered across the Neotropics.

The terminology I question is 'Evolution might be less random than we thought.' It is either random or not. Similarly you cannot be 'almost pregnant.'

See the following reference:

Reference: “Replicated radiation of a plant clade along a cloud forest archipelago” by Michael J. Donoghue, Deren A. R. Eaton, Carlos A. Maya-Lastra, Michael J. Landis, Patrick W. Sweeney, Mark E. Olson, N. Ivalú Cacho, Morgan K. Moeglein, Jordan R. Gardner, Nora M. Heaphy, Matiss Castorena, Alí Segovia Rivas, Wendy L. Clement, and Erika J. Edwards, 18 July 2022, Nature Ecology & Evolution.
    DOI: 10.1038/s41559-022-01823-x
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-29-2022, 06:37 PM.
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Sort of like how humans have evolved different mutations that do basically the same thing in order to adapt to high altitudes in Tibet, the Andes and Ethiopian highlands?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Sort of like how humans have evolved different mutations that do basically the same thing in order to adapt to high altitudes in Tibet, the Andes and Ethiopian highlands?
        Yes.

Frank

Comment

There are many many examples of parallel evolution determined by environmental factors throughout the history of life,

Frank

Comment

Almost like evolution was guided by intelligence or something.

Comment

There are many many examples of parallel evolution determined by environmental factors throughout the history of life,
              Everything from convergent evolution to what I was mentioning -- another example of which would be how an allele conferring lactase persistence has evolved separately at least seven different times in the last 7000 years (among pastoralist groups ranging from Northern and Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Northeast Africa and India), allowing adult humans to drink milk. This provides them with another source of food to consume that those who are lactate intolerant can not use, which would definitely come in handy during periods of decreased food supply.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Evolution is God's Intelligent Design. I heard that before somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Almost all?!?!? It is either Created by God (An intelligent Source) or not. Created by God would be a Theistic 'belief,' which we share. Nonetheless science has more than adequate objective verifiable evidence that the nature of our physical existence and, of course, evolution can come about simply naturally. There is absolutely no objectively verifiable evidence for ID,

Frank

Comment

Almost all?!?!? It is either Created by God (An intelligent Source) or not. Created by God would be a Theistic 'belief,' which we share. Nonetheless science has more than adequate objective verifiable evidence that the nature of our physical existence and, of course, evolution can come about simply naturally. There is absolutely no objectively verifiable evidence for ID,
                    This naturally leads to the question of how would life on earth differ if it arose and evolved solely through natural processes as opposed to being the result of a mechanism that God establish for doing His will.

Comment

This naturally leads to the question of how would life on earth differ if it arose and evolved solely through natural processes as opposed to being the result of a mechanism that God establish for doing His will.
                      A very large number of people seem to be uncomfortable with the idea that it's not possible to distinguish the two using scientific methods. Which I personally find amusing, for equally non-scientific reasons.
                      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Depends on the size of the petri dish. Is it the entire universe or just Earth?

Sort of like asking "what percentage of planets have life on them?" Not enough information about possible "life" to even venture a guess, not to mention the composition and distribution of planets and similar bodies. Hurts my brain.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Sort of like asking "what percentage of planets have life on them?" Not enough information about possible "life" to even venture a guess, not to mention the composition and distribution of planets and similar bodies. Hurts my brain.
                          And that is why I try using mine as little as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

The hypothesis that evolution might have a set of natural governing laws was proposed long since. As to life on other planets, it would depend on how tight the parameters of those laws (assuming they can be considered a theory) might be. Every combination of the composition of star and planet might be unique, so it would be a matter of how broad the parameters promoting the development of life might be.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

The hypothesis that evolution might have a set of natural governing laws was proposed long since. As to life on other planets, it would depend on how tight the parameters of those laws (assuming they can be considered a theory) might be. Every combination of the composition of star and planet might be unique, so it would be a matter of how broad the parameters promoting the development of life might be.
                              It would not be best to call them a 'set of naturally governing laws.' Natural Laws are pretty much universal. The criteria for life as on earth is the environmental conditions and the changing environmental conditions. Yes, other planets with life would have to fit within a range of environmental conditions suitable for life to begin and evolve.

My estimate is life may be fairly common in the universe, but the likelyhood of a planet that meets the criteria that life would evolve as on earth maybe rare.

Mars is a classic example for the possibility of the beginnings of life, but no more. Mars likely had the environment for abiogenesis and early life forms, but it was short lived. Also it is likely only for the possibility for abiogenesis and early life forms, because of the short life of the ideal conditions for abiogenesis and the evolution of life.

Frank

Comment