Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Potential Evidence of Inflationary Big Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    Definitive Evidence of Multiverse!

MSNBC just reported: "... and a pink planet the size of our universe is discovered!"

After the commercial break, it turns out they were only talking about a pink frozen dwarf planet-like object 7 billion miles from our sun (2012VP-113), nicknamed 'Biden'.
    A great example of the scientific illiteracy of the general public as a whole and communications majors in particular. "The size of our universe...?" Oh, boy. And "Biden"...

Oh, wait -- this is a joke. Nearly got me!

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
      A great example of the scientific illiteracy of the general public as a whole and communications majors in particular. "The size of our universe...?" Oh, boy. And "Biden"...

Oh, wait -- this is a joke. Nearly got me!
      Actually, it's not a joke. Sad, but not a joke.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Here's a couple of news reports about the newly discovered dwarf planet:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/...earch=100k_pvs

http://www.you-tracker.com/Result/dw...f-5e6153b67388

Comment

It WAS the size of the universe... back when the universe was just a little verse....

Okay, leaving now...
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

So you think you understand the Big Bang? If the early Universe is super dense, why did it not disappear into a black hole? I have never seen anything that explains this but I think I have an idea of the answer. Any thoughts?
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              So you think you understand the Big Bang? If the early Universe is super dense, why did it not disappear into a black hole? I have never seen anything that explains this but I think I have an idea of the answer. Any thoughts?
              No I don't think I understand the Big Bang. But I'd be happy to hear your answer.
              Last edited by robrecht; 04-03-2014, 07:49 AM.

Comment

... Any thoughts?
                My only thoughts about this would be to presume that proponents of some kind of big bang are thinking of some kind of massive impulsion (expulsion, explosion?) or inflation of space that completely overcomes the force of gravity at that point in time, if indeed gravity existed as a force at that point. Just a thought. I'll let those who understand this to speak intelligently about this issue.

Comment

No I don't think I understand the Big Bang. But I'd be happy to hear your answer.
                  I think the answer is because there is virtually no gravitational gradient in the early Universe and the Universe has no edge to it. The flattening is what inflation does. It is exceedingly dense but also extremely uniform so every particle is equally attracted in every direction.
                  Last edited by firstfloor; 04-03-2014, 08:27 AM.
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

I think the answer is because there is virtually no gravitational gradient in the early Universe and the Universe has no edge to it. The flattening is what inflation does. It is exceedingly dense but also extremely uniform so every particle is equally attracted in every direction.
                    By 'no edge' do you mean infinitely large or turned in upon itself or something else?

Comment

By 'no edge' do you mean infinitely large or turned in upon itself or something else?
                      Bear in mind that I am not expert; only trying to get a grip on what physicists try their best to tell us. I think it means that the Universe is all of space. Space itself is created in the Big Bang. I think that flatness means that were you able to travel across it, you would not return to your starting point; so infinite in extent. Closed geometries in which you do retrace your steps are possible but they are also edgeless.

A couple of other points: The Big Bang was neither big, nor loud. Where did it happen? You’re sitting in it; it happened everywhere. The expansion discovered by Hubble is the bang in progress even now. How is the view from your part of the primordial atom?

Comment

Yes, of course, I too think it leaves open the question of the multiverse. But, if this were confirmed, I think I've read that it would exclude some theories of the multiverse, eg, the brane collision theory. Can anyone confirm and explain (for us lay people) why that is?
                        Apparently some think that this even provides some kind of evidence for a multiverse:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...leFormat=false

HT to Tassman for the link.

Comment

The answer is gravity. Gravity under the right conditions becomes repulsive rather than attractive, hence inflation.

Comment

Bear in mind that I am not expert; only trying to get a grip on what physicists try their best to tell us. ...
                            Don't worry, it turns out you really don't have to be an expert to understand this stuff:

String theorists discuss fine tuning of the universe, the multiverse, and the five-string banjo

Comment

Just kibitzing my two cents with a very simple example: The surface of sphere, considered as a two real-dimensional manifold, has no "edge".

K54

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                The answer is gravity. Gravity under the right conditions becomes repulsive rather than attractive, hence inflation.
                                No, the answer is not gravity. Inflation is not caused by repulsive gravity.

Be that as it may, inflation is fair enough as an answer to the question of why the universe did not collapse into a black hole. But inflation itself is not caused by gravity.

Comment