Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Potential Evidence of Inflationary Big Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Evidence of Inflationary Big Bang

Sometimes I pretend to understand cosmology because it is so much fun, but there are people here who really do understand some of this and I love to listen in on the conversations and ask an occasional question to try and understand something a little better. We're all part of an amazing universe and it boggles my mind that some people are able to begin to contemplate the beginning of our universe scientifically.

This is only a popular account of what may be the beginnings of evidence for an Inflationary Big Bang. Possibly more evidence on the horizon. Enjoy!

http://www.space.com/25078-universe-...discovery.html
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Natural Science 301 Guidelines:

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.
    Do we need a dull roar? Not if it gets so loud that we can no longer hear the cosmic background radiation.

Request from thread starter:
    I ask that this discussion be kept very friendly and civil. Thus apologetics and anti-apologetics should probably be avoided if such cannot be done on genuinely friendly terms.
    Last edited by robrecht; 03-17-2014, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Cool.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        do we need a dull roar?
        RRRRRrrrooooooaaaaarrrrrrrr

Comment

Sometimes I pretend to understand cosmology because it is so much fun, but there are people here who really do understand some of this and I love to listen in on the conversations and ask an occasional question to try and understand something a little better. We're all part of an amazing universe and it boggles my mind that some people are able to begin to contemplate the beginning of our universe scientifically.

This is only a popular account of what may be the beginnings of evidence for an Inflationary Big Bang. Possibly more evidence on the horizon. Enjoy!

From Nature:-

http://www.nature.com/news/experts-h...lution-1.14902

Comment

I've always heard Alan Guth's name associated with the origin of the various different inflationary theories, but apparently Andrei Linde is also important enough that he is called 'the founding father of inflation' by some. In this video, he is surprised at his front door with the news of the discovery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlfIVEy_YOA

A very profound statement at about two minutes: "What if I believe unto this just because it is beautiful?"

Comment

The Young Earth Creationist perspective:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/arti...on-been-proved

Please, only friendly discussion.

Comment

Yes this is another example of evidence for the nature of the early expansion of the universe. May I add that it offers no other evidence for anything other then this, ie that the origins of our universe represent the beginning of our physical existence.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Yes, of course, I too think it leaves open the question of the multiverse. But, if this were confirmed, I think I've read that it would exclude some theories of the multiverse, eg, the brane collision theory. Can anyone confirm and explain (for us lay people) why that is?

Comment

FYI, there will be a special colloquium on this discovery by the principal investigators (including Andrei Linde) at SLAC/Stanford today, Wed, March 19. It will be streamed live to the web, starting at 3 PM (CA time).

Announcement and schedule:
                    https://news.slac.stanford.edu/annou...-bang-march-19

Webcast Link:
                    https://www6.slac.stanford.edu/kipac-colloquium-bicep2 (should be active just before 3PM, Wed. 19th)
                    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
                      FYI, there will be a special colloquium on this discovery by the principal investigators (including Andrei Linde) at SLAC/Stanford today, Wed, March 19. It will be streamed live to the web, starting at 3 PM (CA time).

Announcement and schedule:
                      https://news.slac.stanford.edu/annou...-bang-march-19

Webcast Link:
                      https://www6.slac.stanford.edu/kipac-colloquium-bicep2 (should be active just before 3PM, Wed. 19th)
                      Too bad I was on a plane all day. Missed it. Did they mention my name?

Comment

I believe the conditions of the actual event are still not totally known. My question would be; Are the gravity waves an indication of the event or expansion after the event?
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          I believe the conditions of the actual event are still not totally known. My question would be; Are the gravity waves an indication of the event or expansion after the event?
                          From rwatts' link:

“There’s no doubt that the gravitational waves, if confirmed, would kill the cyclic and ekpyrotic models that my collaborators and I proposed. We have always been very clear about that. But that is a big if.”

Paul Steinhardt, theoretical physicist Princeton University in New Jersey

I think the ekpyrotic model(s) is about the colliding branes, which had been the best hope for potentially (theoretically) being able to ever detect evidence of a kind of multiverse. I think I learned that here, perhaps from you, if my memory serves me well. But, again, that is only one approach to the multiverse.

Comment

Intelligent Design crew also critical:

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2014/03..._bu083451.html

Comment

Definitive Evidence of Multiverse!

MSNBC just reported: "... and a pink planet the size of our universe is discovered!"

After the commercial break, it turns out they were only talking about a pink frozen dwarf planet-like object 7 billion miles from our sun (2012VP-113), nicknamed 'Biden'.
                              Last edited by robrecht; 03-27-2014, 05:31 AM.

Comment