Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Remains of gigantic flying reptiles found in Argentina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this tidbit, but it really doesn't answer its own question (unless it's in the video, which I can't access right now)

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/july...head-1.4744856

Why do predatory dinosaurs have eyes on the sides of their head?

This week's question comes to us from Graham Richard from Haida Gwaii, who asks the following:

Eye orientation can reveal a lot about the niche terrestrial vertebrates occupy. Eyes of predators like mountain lions and pine martens have forward-facing eyes, whereas herbivores like Sitka deer or chipmunks tend to have eyes that are oriented temporally. This provides predators with greater depth-perception for pouncing on food, and gives prey a wider view of the landscape to survey the many dangers that may lurk just beyond their view.

Richard wants to know why predatory dinosaurs appear to have eyes on the sides of their head?

Franç​ois Therrien, the Curator of Dinosaur Palaeoecology at The Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller, Alberta, says that most meat-eating dinosaurs known as theropods, had laterally positioned eyes, but not all of them. Having eyes on the sides of their heads resulted in a limited amount of depth perception, similar to pigeons and crocodiles today. This was not ideal for locating prey. But theropods, including tyranosaurs such as the famous T-rex, had forward-facing eyes. This gave them a high degree of binocular field of view. This means that tyrannosaurs would have had excellent depth perception to estimate the distance to prey and the timing of their attack. Their vision was similar to today's falcon. It also means that T-rex would have been able to detect prey even if it stood still against the background. So Jurassic Park got it wrong! Smaller theropods, like Velociraptor and Troodon, had even better depth perception than T-rex. Their vision was similar to that of modern owls.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      I found this tidbit, but it really doesn't answer its own question (unless it's in the video, which I can't access right now)

This week's question comes to us from Graham Richard from Haida Gwaii, who asks the following:

Eye orientation can reveal a lot about the niche terrestrial vertebrates occupy. Eyes of predators like mountain lions and pine martens have forward-facing eyes, whereas herbivores like Sitka deer or chipmunks tend to have eyes that are oriented temporally. This provides predators with greater depth-perception for pouncing on food, and gives prey a wider view of the landscape to survey the many dangers that may lurk just beyond their view.

Richard wants to know why predatory dinosaurs appear to have eyes on the sides of their head?

Franç​ois Therrien, the Curator of Dinosaur Palaeoecology at The Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller, Alberta, says that most meat-eating dinosaurs known as theropods, had laterally positioned eyes, but not all of them. Having eyes on the sides of their heads resulted in a limited amount of depth perception, similar to pigeons and crocodiles today. This was not ideal for locating prey. But theropods, including tyranosaurs such as the famous T-rex, had forward-facing eyes. This gave them a high degree of binocular field of view. This means that tyrannosaurs would have had excellent depth perception to estimate the distance to prey and the timing of their attack. Their vision was similar to today's falcon. It also means that T-rex would have been able to detect prey even if it stood still against the background. So Jurassic Park got it wrong! Smaller theropods, like Velociraptor and Troodon, had even better depth perception than T-rex. Their vision was similar to that of modern owls.
      Looks like confirmation of my previous post

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Looks like confirmation of my previous post
        I think they plagiarized you.

Comment

I think they plagiarized you.
          I'm sure they wrote it before yesterday.

It's just that scene is a natural reference in any discussion about dinosaur -- particularly carnivores -- vision.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Near as I can tell, birds (for the most part) don't get as much advantage from a broad 3D field as they do from their most common 320 degree field of sight. If anything of interest shows, they can turn their heads to isolate it properly for 3D viewing, and usually tracking is done by turning the head to keep the object in centre field anyway. It doesn't seem that dinosaurs would be disadvantaged overly by eyes on the sides.
            I'd hate to think how much extra processing power needs to be devoted to keeping all the input properly sorted though,
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Still looks like a giant chicken with overly long wings. Maybe Tyrannosaurus rex was actually a chicken farmer...

On a slightly more serious note, that graphic in the OP looks like a chicken skull - yes, really. (look it up - this computer hates downloading anything).

I are confuzelled - the velociraptors have feathers but the pterosaurs have bat wings and bird skulls?
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Near as I can tell, birds (for the most part) don't get as much advantage from a broad 3D field as they do from their most common 320 degree field of sight. If anything of interest shows, they can turn their heads to isolate it properly for 3D viewing, and usually tracking is done by turning the head to keep the object in centre field anyway. It doesn't seem that dinosaurs would be disadvantaged overly by eyes on the sides.
                I'd hate to think how much extra processing power needs to be devoted to keeping all the input properly sorted though,
                Well, if they aren't overly social, they'd have room left over from the communications side. That and being a glider lessens the 'figuring out how to stay airborn' part.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Still looks like a giant chicken with overly long wings. Maybe Tyrannosaurus rex was actually a chicken farmer...

On a slightly more serious note, that graphic in the OP looks like a chicken skull - yes, really. (look it up - this computer hates downloading anything).

I are confuzelled - the velociraptors have feathers but the pterosaurs have bat wings and bird skulls?
                  Chicken eyes, however, are substantial in relation to its head.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

There are a few differences, of course, as well as the wing membrane being structurally very different than that of a bat.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

My objection is how something depicted above (assuming it to be a predator) would evolve. Small eyes, placement more for optimal peripheral vision, is not something I would expect from this large of a predator. Perhaps if it was slow and spent most of its time clomping around on the ground scavenging, then it needed to keep an eye out for fast predators. Maybe.

Comment