Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Diverse Life Forms Evolved 3.75 Billion Years Ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diverse Life Forms Evolved 3.75 Billion Years Ago

More interesting discoveries of the earliest knon time of the evolution of life on earth. Neat computer simulation picture.

Source: https://scitechdaily.com//diverse-life-forms-evolved-3-75-billion-years-ago-challenging-the-conventional-view-of-when-life-began/

BIOLOGY APRIL 14, 2022
    Diverse Life Forms Evolved 3.75 Billion Years Ago – Challenging the Conventional View of When Life Began

Diverse life forms may have evolved earlier than previously thought. Diverse microbial life existed on Earth at least 3.75 billion years ago,

Diverse life forms may have evolved earlier than previously thought.

Diverse microbial life existed on Earth at least 3.75 billion years ago, suggests a new study led by University College London (UCL) researchers that challenges the conventional view of when life began.

Diverse microbial life existed on Earth at least 3.75 billion years ago, suggests a new study led by UCL researchers that challenges the conventional view of when life began.

For the study, published in Science Advances, the research team analyzed a fist-sized rock from Quebec, Canada, estimated to be between 3.75 and 4.28 billion years old. In an earlier Nature paper, the team found tiny filaments, knobs, and tubes in the rock which appeared to have been made by bacteria.
    Centimeter-size pectinate-branching and parallel-aligned filaments composed of red hematite, some with twists, tubes, and different kinds of hematite spheroids. These are the oldest microfossils on Earth, which lived on the sea-floor near hydrothermal vents, and they metabolized iron, sulfur, and carbon dioxide. Nuvvuagittuq Supracrustal Belt, Québec, Canada. Credit: Dominic Papineau

However, not all scientists agreed that these structures – dating about 300 million years earlier than what is more commonly accepted as the first sign of ancient life – were of biological origin.

EMPAVELI™ (pegcetacoplan) - Resources for Physicians
    See Prescribing Info & Boxed Warning. Read How EMPAVELI May Help Your Patients.
    www.empavelihcp.com

Now, after extensive further analysis of the rock, the team has discovered a much larger and more complex structure – a stem with parallel branches on one side that is nearly a centimeter long – as well as hundreds of distorted spheres, or ellipsoids, alongside the tubes and filaments.

The researchers say that, while some of the structures could conceivably have been created through chance chemical reactions, the “tree-like” stem with parallel branches was most likely biological in origin, as no structure created via chemistry alone has been found like it.

Layer-deflecting bright red concretion of haematitic chert (an iron-rich and silica-rich rock), which contains tubular and filamentous microfossils. This co-called jasper is in contact with a dark green volcanic rock in the top right and represent hydrothermal vent precipitates on the seafloor. Nuvvuagittuq Supracrustal Belt, Québec, Canada. Canadian quarter for scale. Credit: Dr. Papineau

The team also provide evidence of how the bacteria got their energy in different ways. They found mineralized chemical by-products in the rock that are consistent with ancient microbes living off iron, sulfur, and possibly also carbon dioxide and light through a form of photosynthesis not involving oxygen.

These new findings, according to the researchers, suggest that a variety of microbial life may have existed on primordial Earth, potentially as little as 300 million years after the planet formed.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Already a thread on this. You really need to start checking first.

Cool graphic though

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Already a thread on this. You really need to start checking first.

Cool graphic though
      . . . but this thread is based on science with good pics, and not phony unethical ID based on a religious agenda. I do have a tendency to ignore Lee's threads.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-16-2022, 08:46 AM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment